Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife's car was a paperweight. (And not a very good one). [RESOLVED]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car and wife's both got the 2018.50 update over the weekend.
Mine went fine.

Wife's car is now bricked. Won't go out of Park. Won't recognize her phone as a key, won't recognize either key card (that worked fine before). She had to call Tesla to unlock it just to get her garage pass!

Called on Sunday approx 1PM. They said they would remote troubleshoot...

Luckily the car was in our garage and not a random parking lot!

NO dice, and as she called back approx 5PM on Sunday, there was "no one" who could do anything. because it was "Sunday"? Who cares what day / time it is. Tesla BROKE her car.

Luckily for us, our 3rd vehicle, hasn't sold yet.

I told her to rent a car, and provide Tesla w/the receipt and fuel costs as a thank you for breaking hers. Which is exactly what we'd have done had we not had the 3rd car.

so... Thanks Tesla!
So you have a third car but rented one solely for the purpose of causing unnecessary expense? Nice attitude. They don’t owe you a rental and I’m guessing there’s no legal statute requiring it.

Completely agree, and @SabrToothSqrl as a long time Tesla owner you of all people should not be using that term because
1. You know that Teslas haven’t been bricked since the Roadster, and
2. You know the baggage that term carries by its use for FUD by the anti-EV constituencies.

For those new here, bricked meant a battery that is permanently damaged so it’s unusable. Calling a car that won’t start “bricked” is inflammatory and just feeds the anti-EV trolls.

Are you the brick police?

His car didn't start ... and he has every right to use that word.

Looks like Tesla pushed the update another 2-3x over night.
Car appears to work, but my wife is scared to drive it.

Tesla says it should be okay to drive, but there is still an error on the screen.

Fingers crossed! It's been Unbricked... sort of. It can now move, so it's become a car again!

The Brick Police can officially stand down! lol.

It's infuriating that they don't have 24/7 support for what amounts to a "retry" button.

The retry button could/should actually be on the car.
I'm surprised that there isn't a Recovery process allowing to roll back the previous update, like Microsoft do:

Windows Update - Recovery Options.jpg

Why is she scared to drive it?

Somehow during it's Schrödinger bricked/not-bricked state, we did mange to get it into drive ONCE.
But then never again.

If it's going to be stuck in park, it's preferable to be stuck in your own garage and not a random location...

We shall see at quitting time what the story is... I hope it's fixed. we still love the cars, but there has to be a better resolution when an update fails. Either a rollback option or retry option for the consumer.
I know! they can call it 'Unbrick me' and put it right on the dash :)

to me a "bricked" tesla would be completely dead, no function, no hint of life. absolutely no response to anything in any situation. a bricked smart phone is literally just a slab of metal and glass vs a dysfunctional one that might be stuck in boot loop but still not useful for all intended purposes.

but enough with the nomenclature

it really is unfortunate to be in that situation, it seems like such a small anomaly that Tesla may have not even considered cases like yours (or thought it would be an easy fix). i feel like maybe in the process of updating, the firmware unpacked the data incorrectly or missed a section or downloaded a corrupted packet while getting the newest software. unfortunately a lot of programs need to purge previous versions to install it's replacement. it might have thought it was a full replacement but during install realized that something was not right (and could not revert back). instead of just letting you use it "AS IS" and potentially causing an unsafe operating condition, it went into really limited hibernation mode until it can be reflashed with the proper software.

i wouldn't worry too much about it, but the hassle of dealing with it does suck as their availability is close to nothing.

Last edited: