Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife's car was a paperweight. (And not a very good one). [RESOLVED]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A dead battery conventionally means it just needs to be recharged. Like: "My phone battery is dead"
It can also mean that the battery needs to be replaced before the product referred to is usable again.

How often do we see stories where Congress is fighting for something, or Congress is in a battle for...?
Regularly encountered exaggeration for grabbing headlines. Kind of like this thread's title.

lol. No.... the failure was because Tesla sent an update that failed. (Vehicle worked previously)
Yeah, that's the "stuff goes wrong sometimes" part. Not surprising. What counts is how you recover from failures.

The failure was compounded by the department that could fix it... being closed.
We called roadside assistance, and they could not assist. (Maybe they need a name change)?
What was closed? Roadside assistance should provide you with a replacement car if yours is non-functional and it's their fault. Is that what happened? Doesn't seem so, as they are never closed.

Yes, clearly having the car brick and become un-drivable is the owner's "problem".
Just like PTSD is the person's problem who experienced it. Anything else is just details.
I'm not following. The only problem I see is that you didn't get a loaner when you should have. But that doesn't seem to be where your angst is coming from, and I get the impression that you never talked to roadside assistance and asked for one, so how is this Tesla's fault?

The fact that Tesla cannot fix your vehicle immediately is what happens with most of the vehicle breakage that people encounter. So what's the surprise? Complaining because you didn't make the right choice ("my vehicle is broken, it's Tesla's fault, and you can't fix it immediately, so give me a loaner") seems weird. And now the "afraid to drive it" stuff just compounds things.

• Disagree
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Does this mean that the entire failure is because you didn't call roadside assistance so that they could get you going immediately at any time? Seems like an obvious case of Tesla provides a loaner until the problem is fixed. But instead there's days of angst and now "afraid to drive the car"? Sounds like a PEBCAK problem to me, all down the line.

Since I don't work in Tech Support I had to Google PEBCAK:

PEBCAK is technical support shorthand (slang) for "Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard". Generally this term is used by technical support personnel to describe a problem that was caused by the computer user as opposed to a technical problem with the physical computer equipment.​

FaF :D

• Love
Reactions: NeverFollow
Since I don't work in Tech Support I had to Google PEBCAK:

PEBCAK is technical support shorthand (slang) for "Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard". Generally this term is used by technical support personnel to describe a problem that was caused by the computer user as opposed to a technical problem with the physical computer equipment.​

FaF :D

Since I don't use slang or acronyms I had to Google FaF:

FaF meaning is shorthand (slang) for "Fit as F***" or "Funny as F***"
So now you know it's meaning.
Don't thank me...
YW! :D

• Funny
Reactions: BrokerDon
This is my own definition of "Bricked".

If an owner requires support from the manufacturer, to get it drivable again (it's main function) it is "Bricked" until it's fixed.

"Bricking" does not necessary mean it's permanent or can't be fixed. There are many severities of being "Bricked".

When I saw "paperweight" I read it as, the car is so disfunctional in the owners mind that it might as well be a paperweight.

I have never associated "bricking" with the battery in anyway. If it's a dead battery, it's a dead battery. Bricking is typically associated with something gone wrong with software (usually a flash update that didn't go as planned). That may or may not have caused physical damage.
This is my understanding as well working in the tech industry. For example, Apple sent out a watchOS 5 update a few months ago that bricked some Series 4 models. There’s no recovery option and I believe that Apple replaced them with a brand new model-in store, or you could mail it off for repair/replacement.

Reactions: Logger
Yeah, that's the "stuff goes wrong sometimes" part. Not surprising. What counts is how you recover from failures.

What was closed? Roadside assistance should provide you with a replacement car if yours is non-functional and it's their fault. Is that what happened? Doesn't seem so, as they are never closed.

I'm not following. The only problem I see is that you didn't get a loaner when you should have. But that doesn't seem to be where your angst is coming from, and I get the impression that you never talked to roadside assistance and asked for one, so how is this Tesla's fault?

The fact that Tesla cannot fix your vehicle immediately is what happens with most of the vehicle breakage that people encounter. So what's the surprise? Complaining because you didn't make the right choice ("my vehicle is broken, it's Tesla's fault, and you can't fix it immediately, so give me a loaner") seems weird. And now the "afraid to drive it" stuff just compounds things.

Well, now you're just victim shaming... I think the angst comes from my deep rooted confusion over the brick.
When I was younger I was told a story about how the size of the brick came to be - something about a small child being able to hold one in each hand, as child labor was the fashion at the time.

I wonder if that's actually true.

• Informative
Well, now you're just victim shaming.
Not my intention. It's easy to make non-optimal choices in dealing with an emergency. So if this happened again -- a firmware update left your car inoperable on a Sunday, what would you do? Have you figured out the best course of action?

Me, I'd call roadside assistance and if they didn't offer me a loaner (after a quick attempt to get things fixed immediately), I would ask for one. The result would likely be that I'd have acceptable transportation while my car was being fixed, for however long that might take. No angst. But I suppose various things could go wrong. Then maybe I'd have something I'd complain about.

BUT... if your brick bricks, then what?
Like if you drop it and it breaks into pieces, and it's no longer a brick, so it fails at it's function, isn't it then also... a brick?

bricks-red0126mco-64_1000.jpg
Wait, I thought Tesla now makes bricks...

Not my intention.

I'm just finding it all so 'interesting' the various takes on the situation, most of which revolve around defining the word brick and the relevance of owning another vehicle.

It takes a lot to actually get through this skin. Years of ... situations... have left me fairly tough.

Anyway, going to try to more clearly define what occurred for those who need to know :)

We were heading to lunch, it was fairly cold out. The mood was chilly.
I had a craving for Tacos, and there is a Taco Bell not far. I know it's not healthy, or even 'real' food, but once in a while you need a cheap Taco, right?
Wife was not feeling well, but I convinced her to tag along to get her on her feet recovering from a cold.
The Model 3 would not go into Reverse (or drive).
It kept asking for the keycard... so... we tried both keycards. No dice.
We tried phone. No dice. Tried a reboot. No dice.
Called service, who was not open on a Sunday at 1PM.
We then called Road Side, which is a 24/7 number. They could not assist directly, they attempted to contact 'someone who could retry the update' - and were unable to. Finally they managed to contact someone, who would 'call us back'.
By 5PM, with no call back, we try again, and reach the conclusion we cannot get any assistance with the update tonight.

Given the 3rd vehicle as an option, we did not push on attempting to have Tesla deliver a loaner 2 hours away from nearest (closed) service center on a Sunday night.

However, my wife would need a vehicle Monday 8:00 AM

Tesla did in fact offer to flat bed the vehicle, at which time I am fairly certain they would have provided a loaner or rental vehicle. It was however now 10 AM Monday. Past the time needed, as well as when you need a car, and own a car... it should really... car.

We declined the flat bed as with the SC 2 hours away, coordinating pickup would be more hassle than the vehicle being nonoperational an additional day or two.

Thankfully, sometime overnight Monday night, Tesla was able to remotely diagnose, and push a code fix to accommodate the failed module. While their is an error on the screen, the car is now usable. However given the error, and possibility of it becoming nonoperational, there is some hesitation to rely on it immediately, until it's reliability is proven.

The faulty module gets replaced next week, and will hopefully improve the phone as a key issue it's had since new.

In all, it's amazing the car can get updates remotely, that's something my GM will never do.
However, that needs balanced against controls that ensure the vehicle remain operational.

It's also fun to think that someone at Tesla spent time over night Monday night actually changing some code somewhere to fix one person's car. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, it's the kind of thing that makes you want to buy another.

I'm not here for any ridiculous agenda. I'm just a guy who's wife's car wouldn't move. Her... first ever bought brand new, budget busting car that she waited years for...

You have had some good humor about the situation. I'm not sure I would have able to see the bright side. Whatever you want to call it, the car was not capable of operating as intended, even in some reduced capacity. Which sucks. At times like these, I'm glad I have a third car as a backup. Living in Houston, there is no real alternative.

Also living in Houston, I am so glad that I have many better options for a cheap taco fix than Taco Bell (aka Taco Hell aka Toxic Smell). Hell, the Laredo Taco company at my local gas station will sell me a belly-busting breakfast taco on freshly made tortillas with chorizo and egg for like $1.95. Maybe $2.50 if I want potatoes. And I'm full until lunch.

Maybe you should move your Model 3 to Texas and it'll work fine. Could be protesting it's chosen destination. ;)

• Funny