Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
new owner here. Just wondering if most owners connect to home wifi?
Does it help with updates?
Is it going to really slow down our system, or does car communicate at night when we are sleeping. Finally, once set up, lf I set up, does it connect automatically when I pull into garage?

new owner here. Just wondering if most owners connect to home wifi?

I do.

Does it help with updates?

Updates go by an unknown priority list so some will get it first, others not.

But to download a file or an update, of course I would prefer wifi rather slow 3g or 4g.

I heard that map updates only for wifi.

..Is it going to really slow down our system, or does car communicate at night when we are sleeping...

I have no idea but I imagine it would but updates don't happen every week or month.

...does it connect automatically when I pull into garage?

Yes.

You can manually turn off your car wifi but it then automatically connects to your wifi once your car is restarted again.

Reactions: Algbc
You may get updates on the order of days or a week or two earlier on wifi compared to LTE. It seems like updates get tagged with metadata that states whether or not to wait for wifi download, how long to wait, and what to do if that time passes. Most updates are marked to download anyway at the end of the period.

Of course everyone here is OCD about having the latest update so we definitely connect to wifi and try to do every voodoo trick we know to get the update.

In my Model S days, for whatever reason, I used to get updates much slower over Wi-Fi. (It had full bars in the car and a nearby antenna, so that should not have been a reason...) So much so that I eventually turned it off from the car, because I kept getting updates only on 3G... I know Tesla claims the opposite (it is in their interest that people avoid the mobile connection, after all), that Wi-Fi helps the speeds, but just noting that this has not always been my experience. Actually I could swear I also received a maps update over 3G on the Model S, even though I know Tesla says not...

That said, I would use Wi-Fi and see how it works for you - I see little harm in trying. I turn it on/off on occasion still these days as well...

Some notes and links to my experiences with Tesla + Wi-Fi here: How much data is Wi-Fi transferring?

When there is a message on the screen that an update is available, the car has actually already downloaded the update. All it asks you is to set a time to install it. It defaults to the middle of the night, which is the best time to install it as you won't be tempted to "check on it" and screw things up. The car needs to be left alone when it's updating.

If you haven't connected to wifi at home, you will keep getting prompts asking you to so. There's no reason not to and it saves Tesla's data expenses. Also map updates are so large that they are only sent by wifi. That doesn't happen often, I think I've had three in four years.

Thank you
None of this was explained at pickup
He said we didn't need to connect to wifi
I thought I read that I needed to.
I'm not a tech person so car is a little intimidating, but like my iPhone I'll figure it out eventually. Most amazing car I've ever driven.