Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a Model X Fit In My Garage? Need Local Help Willing to Experiment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

I have a Model S and would like to trade it in for a Model X. I'm almost ready to configure and put down a deposit but I have one huge concern. It's my garage. Dimensionally I believe the X should fit in fine front to back. The biggest potential problem is the height of the garage. See pics below. I have no idea if there is enough space for the falcon wings doors to open when parked inside. My garage has two overhead beams that span the width of the garage and I'm worried that one will be in the way. If the doors just clear the first beam (closest to the garage opening) and sits in between the first and second beam, then it might just work. But if the falcon doors are situated right below the first beam, it may only open partially or not at all.

I've been asking Tesla for a loaner X to try out but they haven't been very responsive. Wondering if anyone with an X in the Foster City/San Mateo area would be willing and brave enough to come over and perform a quick and interesting little experiment to help a fellow Tesla owner out. Social distancing, mask, etc. will be of course followed (I'm fully vaxed btw.) Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.52.14 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.52.31 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.51.45 AM.jpg

...The biggest potential problem is the height of the garage...

Low ceiling is not a problem as long as you set the height of your falcon wing doors the first time without hitting anything.

You need more attention since your ceiling is uneven: higher clearance without ceiling beams and lower clearance with ceiling beams. You need to make sure you set your falcon wing doors to the lower clearance with ceiling beams so there won't be an accident of hitting the beams.

The only disadvantage of low ceiling is: You can't fully open your falcon wing doors to the maximum height but I am ok with that.

This has been talked about before elsewhere in this web site. With the kind of ceiling you have, with some areas that are down low and some that are higher up, it might be a recipe for disaster. There is only one sensor on the top of the car to detect FWD height and if it does not see the lower beam, it will open up anticipating the full height of the garage and will smash into the lower beam. It is an expensive lesson to learn.

My picture on the left does not show the full width of the car but it is narrow in my garage, but I have a flat roof without crossbeams. The FWD will open up a little but it is kind of close to the 58 Chevy so I never open up the FWDs in my garage. I use summon to back the car out and then get into the back seat.

Just my advice. YMMV as they say on the internet

This has been talked about before elsewhere in this web site. With the kind of ceiling you have, with some areas that are down low and some that are higher up, it might be a recipe for disaster. There is only one sensor on the top of the car to detect FWD height and if it does not see the lower beam, it will open up anticipating the full height of the garage and will smash into the lower beam. It is an expensive lesson to learn.

My picture on the left does not show the full width of the car but it is narrow in my garage, but I have a flat roof without crossbeams. The FWD will open up a little but it is kind of close to the 58 Chevy so I never open up the FWDs in my garage. I use summon to back the car out and then get into the back seat.

easy solution is to add some plywood across the beams

Reactions: aesculus
Hi Folks,

I have a Model S and would like to trade it in for a Model X. I'm almost ready to configure and put down a deposit but I have one huge concern. It's my garage. Dimensionally I believe the X should fit in fine front to back. The biggest potential problem is the height of the garage. See pics below. I have no idea if there is enough space for the falcon wings doors to open when parked inside. My garage has two overhead beams that span the width of the garage and I'm worried that one will be in the way. If the doors just clear the first beam (closest to the garage opening) and sits in between the first and second beam, then it might just work. But if the falcon doors are situated right below the first beam, it may only open partially or not at all.

I've been asking Tesla for a loaner X to try out but they haven't been very responsive. Wondering if anyone with an X in the Foster City/San Mateo area would be willing and brave enough to come over and perform a quick and interesting little experiment to help a fellow Tesla owner out. Social distancing, mask, etc. will be of course followed (I'm fully vaxed btw.) Thanks in advance!

View attachment 685944

View attachment 685943

View attachment 685945
just eyeballing you'r prob fine height wise though the sensors will stop the door from going up all the way even if there is room.

Reactions: X-pilot

It not sensing the narrow beam is exactly what I'm afraid of. I could always back in and out before loading/unloading passengers like you said but a pain with little kids, rainy season, etc.

It not sensing the narrow beam is exactly what I'm afraid of. I could always back in and out before loading/unloading passengers like you said but a pain with little kids, rainy season, etc.
i have a garage that is way lower than yours, no beams though. the FWD opens up about 55% - 60% and then the alarm sounds. that sensor is in the middle of the door and is very large according to a tech who worked on my car when the doors were giving trouble.

Hi Folks,

View attachment 685944

View attachment 685943

View attachment 685945

At first, I thought you’d be “fine”, as long as you are careful every time. But then I did some measurements and realized that your situation is a bit worse than mine. Measuring up 79” from the floor with a tape measure, I’ve stopped the FWD at 79” to show you what the FWD opening will be like. The first two are with the suspension at standard height. The 3rd is with the suspension at very high.
At standard height, you can still barely reach in to put something on the back seat. With the suspension set at very high, there really is no FWD functionality.

So not also will you need to be very careful for all the reasons already mentioned, but the size of the opening is certainly not big enough for a passenger to use.

Definitely not a reason not to buy a Model X, though! I rarely open my FWDs in the garage; when I do, it’s only to get something off the back seat.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 36DB6E5C-13B5-4E51-925F-9A8C72E38A19.jpeg
    36DB6E5C-13B5-4E51-925F-9A8C72E38A19.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 192
  • C78B9CB4-93C2-4082-8A51-192416AB9640.jpeg
    C78B9CB4-93C2-4082-8A51-192416AB9640.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 168
  • B6B94E5F-CA85-42AF-82E0-EF641FB3BF50.jpeg
    B6B94E5F-CA85-42AF-82E0-EF641FB3BF50.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
At first, I thought you’d be “fine”, as long as you are careful every time. But then I did some measurements and realized that your situation is a bit worse than mine. Measuring up 79” from the floor with a tape measure, I’ve stopped the FWD at 79” to show you what the FWD opening will be like. The first two are with the suspension at standard height. The 3rd is with the suspension at very high.
At standard height, you can still barely reach in to put something on the back seat. With the suspension set at very high, there really is no FWD functionality.

So not also will you need to be very careful for all the reasons already mentioned, but the size of the opening is certainly not big enough for a passenger to use.

Definitely not a reason not to buy a Model X, though! I rarely open my FWDs in the garage; when I do, it’s only to get something off the back seat.

Good luck!
Oh boy, that's what I was afraid of. No amount of Yoga would get me in and out of that opening!

I really appreciate the pictures, those visuals say it all. Curious though, with the horizontal part (roof section) of door stopped at that position, can the vertical part (body section of the door) continue to fold open? I won't have another car parked on the passenger side for the door to hit it.

Good luck!
Moreover, I don’t believe that your FWDs will hit the sweet spot between the two ceiling beams, but you do the math. Here are my measurements on my car:

Front edge of FWD to the rear of car about 80”.

Back edge of FWD to the front of the car is about 156”.

Oh boy, that's what I was afraid of. No amount of Yoga would get me in and out of that opening!

I really appreciate the pictures, those visuals say it all. Curious though, with the horizontal part (roof section) of door stopped at that position, can the vertical part (body section of the door) continue to fold open? I won't have another car parked on the passenger side for the door to hit it.
I believe so, but my wife is not about to back her car out of the garage given that it’s 96° outside at the moment. I’ll get you photos as soon as I can if no one else responds sooner.

I believe so, but my wife is not about to back her car out of the garage given that it’s 96° outside at the moment. I’ll get you photos as soon as I can if no one else responds sooner.
I don’t think that I can shed much more light given how the door articulates depending on what is both above and adjacent to it.

Attached is a photo showing how the door opens in my garage if there is no car adjacent. Suspension height did not seem to affect the final position. While the doors definitely extend out more in a horizontal plane, they also go up higher than your 79”. I tried suspending some heavy cardboard over the sensor at about 79” but it was ignored by the sensor.

So, I think your back to your original plan: check it out with a Model X in your own garage.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 274FA320-5301-433D-A755-F47F446BEFC3.jpeg
    274FA320-5301-433D-A755-F47F446BEFC3.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman