Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon give Autopilot free for 2018 or early 2019 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love FSD. But it wasn't worth the $6K before delivery; and certionaly not worth the $7K a week later.

Same goes for the $2K performance option post purchase when a stealth model was about the same price difference and faster. If I could had found one.

Give me a "decent" and I mean DECENT sale price and I'd buy both.

I would love FSD. But it wasn't worth the $6K before delivery; and certionaly not worth the $7K a week later.

Don't worry, per Elon it'll be 8k later this year after the next features are out :)

Same goes for the $2K performance option post purchase when a stealth model was about the same price difference and faster. If I could had found one.

The P3D- is now $8000 more than an AWD- making half the performance difference for 2k a bargain.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC

Give me a "decent" and I mean DECENT sale price and I'd buy both.
What do you consider a decent price? I'm actually not sure what that number is for me.

I have a LR RWD w/ AP and $7k to upgrade to FSD is ludicrous to me because I feel like AP already serves most of my needs. I live downtown in a city and I just can't see AP being useful in city driving when everyone drives like an imbecile here.

There are a few features I would like, such as the basic summon to get your car out of tight spaces or NOA for longer road trips only. I would probably only be willing to pay $1-2k for those features. I wish you could purchase these features a la carte but I guess it doesn't make a ton of sense for Tesla when their endgame is FSD/robotaxis.

• Informative
What do you consider a decent price? I'm actually not sure what that number is for me.

I have a LR RWD w/ AP and $7k to upgrade to FSD is ludicrous to me because I feel like AP already serves most of my needs. I live downtown in a city and I just can't see AP being useful in city driving when everyone drives like an imbecile here.

There are a few features I would like, such as the basic summon to get your car out of tight spaces or NOA for longer road trips only. I would probably only be willing to pay $1-2k for those features. I wish you could purchase these features a la carte but I guess it doesn't make a ton of sense for Tesla when their endgame is FSD/robotaxis.
I think alacarte would allow them to unlock more of the money faster.

Robotaxi/Johnnycab is a fantasy on current gen and likely won’t happen until long after Big Daddy Elon makes our 3’s obsolete or unbearable to drive long distances by way of nerfed DCFC to protect us from ourselves (Like S85/D)

I think alacarte would allow them to unlock more of the money faster.

Robotaxi/Johnnycab is a fantasy on current gen and likely won’t happen until long after Big Daddy Elon makes our 3’s obsolete or unbearable to drive long distances by way of nerfed DCFC to protect us from ourselves (Like S85/D)
Yea i agree that Robotaxi is neither possible w/ current hw nor coming any time soon. It's more that Tesla's mindset is all about pushing FSD and creating urgency by increasing the price of it. They've eliminate EAP and I doubt they will introduce any other intermediary AP options or a la carte options.

I could be wrong, as they've made the acceleration boost and seat heater packages available recently, but I have a feeling they won't do it for AP.

EAP was $5,000. To add FSD was $3,000 over that.

At least for those whom Basic AP was not included and did not wish to pay $5,000 for EAP then bAP should be a $1,000 upgrade.
I thought AP was a $3000 option not a $1000 option. When they started selling AP anyways. Tesla decided it would be included but increase the cost of the car by that amount.

$2000 for AP
$5000 EAP
$8000 FSD. (I think this went up in cost later?)

Maybe some day I'll get my FSD computer that I paid for...

Last edited:

I enjoy my spirited drives and rarely use the functions except when stuck in stop and go where I can't do anything.

That said if they took my add on app price from $7k to $3K or $4K I would probably just throw my money at them.

Likewise if the performance boost add on app price at $2K was closer to 3.2 instead of the 4.4 > 3.9 I would have throw the $2K at them the day it appeared. I was actually set to until I realized it wasn't as fast as the stealth option.

I enjoy my spirited drives and rarely use the functions except when stuck in stop and go where I can't do anything.

That said if they took my add on app price from $7k to $3K or $4K I would probably just throw my money at them.

Likewise if the performance boost add on app price at $2K was closer to 3.2 instead of the 4.4 > 3.9 I would have throw the $2K at them the day it appeared. I was actually set to until I realized it wasn't as fast as the stealth option.

Again- the stealth option is $8000 now. Unless you've got a time machine the 2k performance boost is a lot better deal if you just want some acceleration.

I thought AP was a $3000 option not a $1000 option. When they started selling AP anyways. Tesla decided it would be included but increase the cost of the car by that amount.

$2000 for AP
$5000 EAP
$8000 FSD. (I think this went up in cost later?)

Maybe some day I'll get my FSD computer that I paid for...
Mine was just installed a week ago. It’s a 1/18 rwd. Was in for a pin recall, installed hw3. Maybe make appointment to get.
Miramar had the parts

Again- the stealth option is $8000 now. Unless you've got a time machine the 2k performance boost is a lot better deal if you just want some acceleration.

The limited stealth or sleepers models are $8k more even though it doesn’t come brakes, wheels, or suspension of the performance?

Away I’m not talking about what they are now, even if they can still be ordered. Weeks before I got mine it was as no where near $8 as that’s about what the performance was.

That’s exactly right. It’s something like $8K for any performance model. You can “side grade” to non performance parts and get a bit better range.

The limited stealth or sleepers models are $8k more even though it doesn’t come brakes, wheels, or suspension of the performance?

Away I’m not talking about what they are now, even if they can still be ordered. Weeks before I got mine it was as no where near $8 as that’s about what the performance was.

Yup.

Both versions of the P are the same price.

And back when I bought my Model 3 in 2018 it was $11,000 more for the P3D- and $16,000 more for the P3D+ compared to AWD.

The period where you could get a P3D- for 2k more was in between those periods, and only for a small minority of the time the car has existed (and it was never orderable that way- you had to take whatever color/wheel config happened to be in inventory, if one was).

So unless someone looking to buy TODAY has a working time machine, the 2k boost is a pretty decent deal compared to 8k for the P3D- if they're just looking for improved acceleration.

I bought an inventory car and enjoyed EAP for 13 months until Tesla trued up their accounts and took it away. I gambled when AP went on sale that I might get to keep EAP and didnt buy it. 20/20 hindsight now says I should have, but I estimated there was a good chance I would get to keep EAP indefinitely. I was wrong.

To me, 3K is steep for AP. I think there are few people left who have no AP functionality who are willing to pony up the 3k. If they were going to, they would have by now. The intrinsic value of basic AP is inherently less given it is included in current model offerings. The cars without are approaching a minimum of 2 years old and people like me would sooner pick up a new car, than throw $3K at a 2-3 year old car. If they lower the price they have a chance of generating more revenue. My pain point is probably 2K, if it were $1500 it would be an automatic done deal for me.

I bought an inventory car and enjoyed EAP for 13 months until Tesla trued up their accounts and took it away. I gambled when AP went on sale that I might get to keep EAP and didnt buy it. 20/20 hindsight now says I should have, but I estimated there was a good chance I would get to keep EAP indefinitely. I was wrong.

To me, 3K is steep for AP. I think there are few people left who have no AP functionality who are willing to pony up the 3k. If they were going to, they would have by now. The intrinsic value of basic AP is inherently less given it is included in current model offerings. The cars without are approaching a minimum of 2 years old and people like me would sooner pick up a new car, than throw $3K at a 2-3 year old car. If they lower the price they have a chance of generating more revenue. My pain point is probably 2K, if it were $1500 it would be an automatic done deal for me.

100% this. Also worth noting that now, 2+ years later with 2018 Model 3's, many other auto manufacturers include these basic features on their cars as standard. If it's $1500 I may consider it. If it's $1000, insta buy.

This guy does a thorough breakdown of the performance boost. Worth a watch for anyone on the fence.

Tesla is generally conservative with their numbers. Not as fast as the stealth, but closer than you might think. i'm going to hold off a little more just in case there's a surprise sale, but not too long.

• Funny