Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon give Autopilot free for 2018 or early 2019 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wishful thinking perhaps, but I like the idea of a low cost (if not free - because, reality) basic autopilot either as a subscription or a minimal purchase price ($750?) and then opting into FSD for months when I have more driving/long road trips planned.

From what Elon has said the basic AP should be an option you can buy for $2k in the next month or so.

As far as FSD, I suspect it will be a minimum of a year subscription. And they said that over time it would cost significantly more than buying it outright and adding it to your loan/lease. So wild guess: $200/month. (And it would go up as features are added and the FSD purchase price increases.)

From what Elon has said the basic AP should be an option you can buy for $2k in the next month or so.

As far as FSD, I suspect it will be a minimum of a year subscription. And they said that over time it would cost significantly more than buying it outright and adding it to your loan/lease. So wild guess: $200/month. (And it would go up as features are added and the FSD purchase price increases.)

I hope he'll offer both soon. Sold on AP @ $2k, but I'd love to try out FSD b/f buying. I guess renting would be great if no commitments

I'm a little confused with this thread, so my LR RWD 2018 (which I paid for AP) will now be stripped of AP now? Was a little upset when my rep told me I had premium connectivity for life, but was gone this month..

Absolutely not. This is a thread of people who never paid for AP in the first place, hoping to purchase it for less than the $3,000 it costs to add right now.

I'm a little confused with this thread, so my LR RWD 2018 (which I paid for AP) will now be stripped of AP now? Was a little upset when my rep told me I had premium connectivity for life, but was gone this month..

Is it actually gone now, or does it say that it's going away in the car settings? I pushed back on this and was told that it is as they said: "free for the lifetime of the vehicle". And so it was restored on my car.

More information from Electrek... :cool:

Tesla confirms self-driving as a subscription service but brace yourself for the price - Electrek

During a conference call following Tesla’s Q1 2020 results, CEO Elon Musk and CFO Zachary Kirkhorn that Tesla plans to offer the package as a subscription service by the end of the year. Musk said: “I think we will offer Full Self-Driving as a subscription service, but it will be probably towards the end of this year.”

However, both Musk and Kirkhorn emphasized that it will make more sense financially to buy the feature than to subscribe to it: Musk said:
“I should say, it will still make sense to buy FSD as an option as in our view, buying FSD is an investment in the future. And we are confident that it is an investment that will pay off to the consumer – to the benefit of the consumer. In my opinion, buying FSD option is something people will not regret doing.”

Kirkhorn added: “Agree. And financially, rolling the upfront purchase of the FSD option into a loan in the vehicle or a lease will be the least expensive plan on a monthly basis to own, plus you preserve the option value of increased value over time.” With the package currently costing $7,000, spread out over a 72-month loan that’s $97 per month.

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
The total cost of the upgrade to FSD from EAP including the original cost of EAP is more than the cost of FSD on a new 3.

Maybe you are forgetting that they raised the price of the Model 3 by $2-3k when they made AP standard. (So total cost on a new 3 is $9-10k.) So it seems that the price is the same. (And you had the ability to get FSD when it was on a big sale at one point.)

Reactions: willow_hiller
Maybe you are forgetting that they raised the price of the Model 3 by $2-3k when they made AP standard. (So total cost on a new 3 is $9-10k.) So it seems that the price is the same. (And you had the ability to get FSD when it was on a big sale at one point.)

Yup.

It's effectively $9000 today for EVERYONE- for "new" buyers it's the 2k price bump for basic AP being "included" and 7k for FSD.... for EAP owners it was 5k for that, and 4k to add FSD today....

Reactions: MP3Mike
Same here. I'm in that "weird group" myself with a used mid-2008 LR RWD Model 3. I'll still be on the fence if it's $2K for basic....instant buy if it's $1K.

Woah, didn't know Tesla already made the Model 3 in 2008 already.

$2k for basic AP isn't too bad for what it does, TACC and Auto steer, and I think stopping at lights and stop signs as well.