Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I be disappointed in 2016 75d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I was a first day model 3 RSVP but never went through with the purchase. We have a baby on the way and a 3 year old so it's time for a bigger car. I'm struggling to think if a is 2016 75D good enough? I know the ravens has bigger battery, quicker, faster charging, sentry, cameras, AP3, FSD but not sure if it's worth the extra 30k+.

I'm searching and see used ones for 60k. Will I be dissappointed in the build quality of a 2016? Is the screen really that slow (MCU1). I really only care for AP1 since I just need it for traffic and long road trips. I'm guessing its probably good for 200 mile range since I'll be driving roughly at 75 mph during non commute times. Ugh. First world problems.

If you can be happy with old technology then go for it.
If every time you read about NEW features on NEWER cars (MODEL 3 or Y) will bother you then buy new.
Personally the technology has changed (improved) so fast the last 3+ years that I would go new.
I could never go back to an earlier model or an ICE car ever again.
I could never use a flip phone again either.

yes. old tech and lowest of the range (not counting the 60). get at least a 100D for worry free range above 200 mi. The 75 will bottom out uncomfortably by the time you're around 200. don't worry about build quality. i have a 11XX. minus a few hiccups at delivery, it's solid now and has been since getting it earlier this year (XP90DL). i had the first P3D- out of costa mesa delivery center last year and immediately noticed the lag in the older screen of the 2016 X. All that extra stuff is definitely not worth an extra 30g, but you can find a similarly spec'd 100D for around 7-10k more, and that is worth it.

I'm guessing its probably good for 200 mile range since I'll be driving roughly at 75 mph during non commute times.
That is a bad assumption. The X is big and heavy, and the rated range figures are by the EPA conditions, which certainly are not at 75 mph on the highway, so it will not be getting this "200" real miles. And when people say they drive at 75 mph, they really mean 79.6 mph. You will likely be frustrated with the low range of the X with a 75 battery. The S would be pretty decent with that, though.

Remember - the cars will loose range during cold weather, high speed driving and when using the heater or air conditioning.
Plan you purchase around a vehicle that gets at least 30-40% more range than you need.
If a 75D is cutting it close get a 100D. Extra range is your friend.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I’m following a 1000+ tesla owner group here in Finland, and the consensus seems to be that the X actually has less issues than the S, after the initial production kinks had been worked out. No issues with the door handles, AC etc that the S suffers from.

X75 range is not great (200 miles) but since it now charges at 130kW, it travels just about as fast as the 100. Almost no difference on the routes with superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Hebert
If every time you read about NEW features on NEWER cars (MODEL 3 or Y) will bother you then buy new.

Will a 3 or Y or even S ever be able to do this :).

48395616702_8efcc81495_b.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: E Dizzle and MarkoC
Thanks for all the feedback. I decided pick up a 75D due to free charging from work. The pictures aren't the greatest but can you tell of any major things before I decide to proceed with the car?

2016 Tesla Model X 5YJXCBE25GF008568 | False, Fa | Tesla

I see the seats are a little damage and a minor thing on the door. Any feedback would be great. I'm excited to join the Tesla family.

I can give you one more data point. We have a 2016 MX 75D 6-seater with 49,000 miles. The car has been reliable and a joy to drive. Range has never been an issue. With our family of 4 we've made round trips from Colorado to Seattle, Philadelphia (twice) and Peoria (twice). It's an awesome car for camping that we've done throughout the Colorado Rockies and up to Yellowstone. In 40+ years of driving, this is by far the best car I've ever owned.

Reactions: E Dizzle and Kenz
Hello,
I was a first day model 3 RSVP but never went through with the purchase. We have a baby on the way and a 3 year old so it's time for a bigger car. I'm struggling to think if a is 2016 75D good enough? I know the ravens has bigger battery, quicker, faster charging, sentry, cameras, AP3, FSD but not sure if it's worth the extra 30k+.

I'm searching and see used ones for 60k.

I sold my 2016 AP1 MX75D for $54,000. For $60k, you can buy my 2017 AP2 MX75D.

Will I be dissappointed in the build quality of a 2016?

I sold my 2016 AP1 MX75D to buy a 2020 Long Range. With the promise of better quality, longer range, faster charging, dash cams, etc. Within 24 hours of taking delivery, I returned the vehicle. The vehicle materials felt cheaper than my 2016, but ultimately I couldn't get over the panel gaps. By this time I had already gotten rid of my 2016 and only had my 2017 for comparison.

A couple examples of build quality. Black is my 2017, white is the new 2020.

459934-db7f9f0072dca7456929b6555616ad83.jpg
459938-5de309f37be38829625fb4a78ccf6ff5.jpg

Is the screen really that slow (MCU1).

Yes it is, you'll mostly notice it with map rendering or browsing if you use the browser. Otherwise, the majority of other functions will work fine. In general, if you don't know any better you won't really know it's slow. If you know better, it will annoy you.

I'm guessing its probably good for 200 mile range since I'll be driving roughly at 75 mph during non commute times. Ugh. First world problems.

Depends on your charge level and driving habits. On a 2016, with battery degradation you'll probably see about 210-220 (higher or lower depending on the previous owners habits) at 100% charge indicated. That assumes a 320wh/mi, I average about 365-385 wh/mi @ 75mph so it will depend on your driving habits.

Thanks for the responses. We went ahead and purchased 2016 75D for 57.2k and should be delivered some time next week. Glad to hear the 2016 has better material than the newer models. I won't be playing games or browsing the web so hopefully MCU1 will be good enough for me. I too will be driving around 75 mph since that's the normal speed here in the Bay Area (if no traffic).

I was in the market to upgrade my 2016 P90DL and ordered a 2020 Model X LR as well.
I cancelled my order after seeing the 2020 MX LR, the interior felt spartan and a lot less polished than my 2016.

Some noticeable differences in my 2016 vs 2020:
- No adjustable headrests
- No alcantra on dashboard
- No active spoiler
- No "Model X" badging in 2nd row
- Flat black backs vs Glossy backs (Glossy scratches are more noticeable, but it looks higher end vs flat black)
- Plastic FWD buttons, instead of the metal switches
- Slower 0-60
- No leather padding in 3rd row
+ Substantial range increase (220 @ 90% vs 290+ @ 90%)
+ AP3 & MCU2
+ Faster Charge Speeds

Tesla was buying back my P90D for 60k, new MX was about 98k. Not worth it for 40k+taxes+fees, imo.
I'll probably drive my P90D until the drive train warranty runs out in 2024.

I'm glad I didn't even look at the 2020 since the 2016 seems to be manufactured with higher quality materials. I got lucky and there were no issues whatsoever with the used X. We did our first road trip with the 75d over 1,500 miles. AP1 does mostly everything I need which is to stay in one lane and adjust speed lol.

The car is awesome besides for the charging time. I think charging added almost 5 hours to our trip (when we normally don't stop more than 5 minutes to gas and bathroom break). Something definitely to get used to. We don't take trips too often so I passed on a bigger battery.

Worse car buying experience ever. Best car ever. My son just loves the FWDs.

Thanks for all the feedback. I decided pick up a 75D due to free charging from work. The pictures aren't the greatest but can you tell of any major things before I decide to proceed with the car?

2016 Tesla Model X 5YJXCBE25GF008568 | False, Fa | Tesla

I see the seats are a little damage and a minor thing on the door. Any feedback would be great. I'm excited to join the Tesla family.
I have a 60D X. 2 years old. I figured I would have to upgrade to 75KW by now but there is no need. It all depends on your lifestyle and driving habits. I get about 180 highway miles (mild weather) which is more than I ever need. In town, I plug it in every 4 days. If I decide to take a road trip, which hasn’t happened yet, I’ll rent a car.