Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

First, I want to thank you all for the hours of wonderful reading you've provided me over the past few weeks. This is my first post, however. Sorry for the long story. :)

I am going to be placing my order for the MS 60 this week, for delivery in April when my lease is up. I am totally infatuated with everything Tesla, like most of you here. I've debated over several of the options for the past month, and thanks to the posts on these forums, my only remaining decision will be about the financing - Tesla's banks with higher rates + buy-back guarantee versus lower rate and no guarantee buy-back.

I've done the math, and over 72 months, the interest savings can be quite substantial. Therefore, I'm trying to figure out if I will even be tempted to trade the car in 3 years from now (and have to spend $$ on down payment again). My car history...

2002 M3 - I waited for nearly two years to get that car, and so it was one of the first ones off the line in late 2001. I absolutely loved it! While driving a manual transmission in Atlanta traffic got tiresome, I hated to sell it in 2006 (I was expecting and didn't think it made for a good family car)
2006 Lexus RX350 - mommy-mobile... Couldn't wait to turn it in at the end of my lease, boring to drive
2009 ML350 - beautiful SUV, but not sporty enough and guzzled gas, so after 18 months, I traded it in for a 2-door coupe (my son was 4 yrs old now, and I was divorced)
2011 BMW 335i coupe, M sport pkg - fun car, fast and beautiful. However, while I've enjoyed the great handling and performance, it's not so practical.... I started looking for an SUV again, but something on the smaller side like an Audi Q5... and then I found Tesla! And the rest is history. I don't think I was this excited even for the M3!!!

I think I was getting bored with my last three cars at the 2-3 year mark because they weren't perfect, a least that's my hypothesis. The Tesla on the other hand seems perfect in every way... Sporty, fast, incredibly beautiful, 4 doors and room for my growing kid, plenty of cargo space, coolest car around, and the list goes on.... So will I be tempted to trade up in 3 years for the latest gadgets/improvements, or will this car stand the test of time like my M3 did, and therefore, I should save money with an outside financing option? Anyone else have similar tendencies with past cars? What do you think you will do with your current Tesla?

Thank you for your thoughts!
Julie

M3 is a heck of a car, and the 335i is no slouch, but you'll enjoy the Model S even more. It is the smoothest, most responsive car you have ever driven. Plus the Model S is very practical, as it has a ridiculous amount of storage, hatch with fold-down seats, etc.

I think you'll find it very hard to go back to an ICE after driving the Model S for three years. And unless you want to downsize to the Gen III sedan, I wonder what else would be available to switch to? I have doubts that Mercedes or BMW will have something competitive in an EV by then.

Hi Julie, welcome to the forum. Tesla's buyback program has another advantage: you won't have to be concerned about the lifespan of the battery (which is on the order of 10 years). If you leased another Tesla after this one, you'd have the option to upgrade. To answer your larger question though... I can't imagine getting bored with a Model S. In fact, after you own one, every other car you happen to drive will feel like something from the last century.

Totally agree that I will probably never go back to ICE after this... So the most likely contender will be the 2017 Model S (would probably not want to go smaller/cheaper with Gen III). Wondering how much the Model S might change in 3 years. I guess that is the million dollar question :)

You know yourself best. No one can guarantee that you won't want whatever is coming off the production line three years from now. Why don't you lease for now & if you find you're happy with what you have, take the plunge later?

For what it's worth, I originally planned to let go of my Roadster when I picked up my Model X. Now I don't know how I could ever let it go.

If you have ADHD, you might get bored after ten years or so.
If you suffer from OCD, it will get worse & you will tell everyone about your Tesla.
If you have an anxiety disorder, you'll probably sleep in your garage to keep the MS from imagined harm.
If you have depression, it is apt to make you happy.
If you are like most of us, the purchase of a Tesla will be considered one of the best decisions you've ever made!

If you have ADHD, you might get bored after ten years or so.
If you suffer from OCD, it will get worse & you will tell everyone about your Tesla.
If you have an anxiety disorder, you'll probably sleep in your garage to keep the MS from imagined harm.
If you have depression, it is apt to make you happy.
If you are like most of us, the purchase of a Tesla will be considered one of the best decisions you've ever made!

Haha, love this!

Like Bonnie, I had a Roadster before my Sig S was built, but I traded it in for my Model S. Now, 15+ months and 18,000+ miles later, I couldn't be happier with my Tesla.

Unless they announce an AWD Model S tomorrow at the Detroit Auto Show: then, I'm in trouble. And I'm the guy who used to keep his cars for a decade or more.

I guess what I'm saying is: if you typically switch cars every 2-3 years, you're probably a candidate for an upgraded model of whatever Tesla will be selling in 2017. So, like Bonnie, I think it's safest for you to take the Tesla finance package and guaranteed buyback. If it turns out resale values hold above that, so much the better.

I think I suffer from Car ADHD (14 cars in 14 years) and I have to say the Tesla is one of those cars that keeps me pretty satisfied.
Tesla is going to help you!
2013 - you purchased a Model S
2015 - you will buy a Model X for your partner
2017 - you will select a Model E for your daughter or son
. . . now just three cars in six years . . . you're on your way to automotive bliss.

Since the program is not actually a lease, I decided against. It comes down to risk... Do you believe the Model S will have a poor resale value? Do you believe your Model S will have a poor resale value? Are your finances such that you qualify for some great lease rates? Read the fine print on the residual buy back guarantee. Personally, I think the resale values will hold up so it is better to just pay a lower interest rate.

Hi tslagirl,

You won't get bored. I've owner 4 BMWs, I still have the 2011 535i, my wife wanted it, and I was glad to let her have it. Not to say it's not a nice car, nice to drive. But when I got it Jan 2011, a year later I only had a little over 5000 miles on it. I've had my MS for three weeks and I already have over 1100 miles on it, and I make every excuse to go to the store just so I can drive it. One of those trips to the store took a 16 miles round trip to get bread. So don't worry about boredom!!! Congrats and have fun.

Totally agree that I will probably never go back to ICE after this... So the most likely contender will be the 2017 Model S (would probably not want to go smaller/cheaper with Gen III). Wondering how much the Model S might change in 3 years. I guess that is the million dollar question :)

even if/when they add AWD and other features to the S I still think I will be happy with mine in 10 years. After more than 1 year of thrashing it about, it is still so much fun to drive + it seems to hold up well. I also have never been beaten by the 2013 M3 in our local Autocross either, so it it pretty nimble for a huge car. And you may never be able to drive an Ice and feel good again, my wife just inherited a 2011 535i and it drives like junk. sad really

Tesla is going to help you!
2013 - you purchased a Model S
2015 - you will buy a Model X for your partner
2017 - you will select a Model E for your daughter or son
. . . now just three cars in six years . . . you're on your way to automotive bliss.
simplesolar implied yearly purchases.

2014 - Used roadster
2016 - Hmmm...
2018 - Prototype Next-Gen Roadster?

Well the Gen 3 could be a small mid-size and I'd suggest that if you plunk down $70k on one it's going to have a tad more than the base model.