Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping to take delivery of my MS in about a week, and just thought today about making sure it'll fit in my garage. Model S Specifications lists length as 196.0". I just measured the length of the available space in the garage and it's about 202". So it seems like I have only about 6 inches to work with. Should I be concerned about the tight fit? Would the summon feature have any issues?

Worst case scenario, I'll have to tear down the wooden structure (shelves) at garage wall to extend depth, but obviously I'd prefer not to get into that.
:confused:

I'm hoping to take delivery of my MS in about a week, and just thought today about making sure it'll fit in my garage. Model S Specifications lists length as 196.0". I just measured the length of the available space in the garage and it's about 202". So it seems like I have only about 6 inches to work with. Should I be concerned about the tight fit? Would the summon feature have any issues?

Worst case scenario, I'll have to tear down the wooden structure (shelves) at garage wall to extend depth, but obviously I'd prefer not to get into that.
:confused:

Summons will not work because it leaves a minimum of 8" between the front bumper and the wall or object in front of it.

Well that sucks. I guess I'll be redesigning my garage at some point soon. :( Thanks for the info.

My garage is not much longer than yours. I forget the exact dimensions, but maybe another 3-4 inches in length. I haven't tried summons yet, but I've self parked it without too much trouble. It is a really big car but all of the sensors around the car really help with maneuvering into and out of tight spaces. You also have complete control of the car when you have creep mode off. Once you get comfortable with the car and moving it 1 inch at a time you should be able to self park it. And once you get it parked one time you can try marking the garage or using the tennis ball hanging from the cieling to notify you when you are in the garage.

Sounds like your garage is a few inches shorter than mine. With my Model S parked with front bumper basically touching the front wall (actually, bare stud), there is just 9" between rear bumper and some sharp hinges and other protrusions on inside of the garage door

I can tell you that this is enough room to safely open the rear trunk when inside with the garage door closed. Actually I have a soft thick piece of foam mounted on the front wall/stud, so that means in practice I have ~7" clearance between trunk rear bumper and garage door, and that is just enough clearance to open the trunk safely. I can measure exactly later if you need

Summon will park the car in such a short garage (and narrow, my door is 93" wide) but as mentioned earlier summon is basically useless in this case because the minimum bumper distance setting is 8" - not close enough, so after parking with summon I'd need to manually move the car closer anyhow.

• Informative
Reactions: fallen888
So here's my garage (I know it's a mess, don't judge!), and I have an idea. If I take out the wooden support beam in the middle bottom of the shelve rig (crossed out with pink lines in pic), and replace it with two new ones on the sides (solid, pink blocks in the pic), I should be able to park more over to the right (going from current park position in solid blue, to the dotted blue lines), and I can slide a bit under that shelf set. In this case summing my MS into the garage shouldn't be an issue I'm thinking.

Now the question becomes, do you think AP would have an issue moving slightly under the shelf? Or perhaps not even under the shelf, but I'll definitely have more than 8" to work with for summons to work, as long as it doesn't detect the bottom shelf as an obstruction. Would it?

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 216
Reactions: PtG62901
So my question remains.. Would AP have an issue moving the car slightly under the shelf? Or perhaps not even under the shelf, but I'll definitely have more than 8" to work with for summons to work, as long as it doesn't detect the bottom shelf as an obstruction. Would it have an issue with the bottom of that bottom shelf?

So my question remains.. Would AP have an issue moving the car slightly under the shelf? Or perhaps not even under the shelf, but I'll definitely have more than 8" to work with for summons to work, as long as it doesn't detect the bottom shelf as an obstruction. Would it have an issue with the bottom of that bottom shelf?

You are actually using Summon. Auto park is a different feature.

Summon is pretty conservative though. I would bet Summon will stop early, but you won't know until you try it.

• Helpful
In my experience, the car sensors do not sense things very far up. I would think the car will hit the lower shelf. If it were me, I'd move the lower shelves. The car should see the steps, which may stop it too soon but which a driver could "miss".

Personally, I'd drive the car in. Then you personally can see the dash light up and the alarms go off.

Summon is a cute trick but not all that handy in parking. The place I find it handy is when I come out of the store to find cars on both sides of me parked almost too close (a result of stores putting lines close for more parking, I suppose). Summon backs it out to where I and wifey can get in.

• Helpful
So here's my garage (I know it's a mess, don't judge!), and I have an idea. If I take out the wooden support beam in the middle bottom of the shelve rig (crossed out with pink lines in pic), and replace it with two new ones on the sides (solid, pink blocks in the pic), I should be able to park more over to the right (going from current park position in solid blue, to the dotted blue lines), and I can slide a bit under that shelf set. In this case summing my MS into the garage shouldn't be an issue I'm thinking.

Now the question becomes, do you think AP would have an issue moving slightly under the shelf? Or perhaps not even under the shelf, but I'll definitely have more than 8" to work with for summons to work, as long as it doesn't detect the bottom shelf as an obstruction. Would it?

That center post can go, given the apparent light load that shelf carries.

I wouldn't worry about AP dealing with that gap; Auto Pilot only engages above 18 mph anyway. :)

Summon is using the bumper distance sensors which apparently don't see things higher up, as demonstrated by the guy whose car auto parked itself and broke the windshield on the bed of a parked a semi trailer.

• Informative
My garage is pretty small, with a refrigerator and trash can in front of where I would have to park, it leaves me about 198/199 inches. I tested it with my wife's Infiniti crossover SUV, and it fits barely. My question is, is it easy to feather the accelerator and manage parking in such tight spaces??