Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will legacy ever see V12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum. I was totally disheartened when I found out that the update I received for my 2020S just a few weeks ago (2024.2.7) meant I could not get FSD V12. Very disappointing. I've heard speculation that this was done because my vehicle doesn't have an internal camera and Tesla is concerned about their ability to monitor drivers. Is there any further information on this? I find FSD 11 very erratic but I'm on no position to buy a new car. As usual, Tesla is saying nothing on the matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Kohan
Friends,

Forgive the ignorance. Never owned a Tesla with FSD. However, there is a possible "Unicorn" P100D that is en route to me that will have FSD.

Two questions:

1. What is the big hype about v12 FSD, when the prior builds have always met with the, "FSD is basically something I wouldn't pay for"?

2. Since mine is a legacy S, how could I tell if I have the latest cameras?

Thanks for the education, in advance!

Upvote 0

i believe if it says this under VIN, then u have latest cameras..
1712931335188.png

but if u have MCU1 then it sounds like u can't have FSD anyways...

Reactions: Fragger
Upvote 0
Friends,

Forgive the ignorance. Never owned a Tesla with FSD. However, there is a possible "Unicorn" P100D that is en route to me that will have FSD.

Two questions:

1. What is the big hype about v12 FSD, when the prior builds have always met with the, "FSD is basically something I wouldn't pay for"?

1. I could be wrong on this but others can chime in. I think I have it right though. Instead of people writing code to tell the car how to drive itself, Tesla used on-board camera footage from the entire fleet to train a (either a.i. or neural network - I forget which) how to drive. With V12, there is no code that specifically says "this is a stop sign and you need to stop at it." - V12 has learned through (millions?) of hours of video of watching people drive that it needs to stop at this thing 🛑.
I've had autopilot/fsd for 3 full years now and this is the single biggest jump in capabilities that I've personally experienced here in rural/small town Ohio. For the first time EVER, I am able to use FSD for the entirety of all my drives with zero interventions. That has literally never happened before. It's a remarkable improvement, at least in my small hometown.

Upvote 0
1. I could be wrong on this but others can chime in. I think I have it right though. Instead of people writing code to tell the car how to drive itself, Tesla used on-board camera footage from the entire fleet to train a (either a.i. or neural network - I forget which) how to drive. With V12, there is no code that specifically says "this is a stop sign and you need to stop at it." - V12 has learned through (millions?) of hours of video of watching people drive that it needs to stop at this thing 🛑.
I've had autopilot/fsd for 3 full years now and this is the single biggest jump in capabilities that I've personally experienced here in rural/small town Ohio. For the first time EVER, I am able to use FSD for the entirety of all my drives with zero interventions. That has literally never happened before. It's a remarkable improvement, at least in my small hometown.
Thank you for a wonderful, patient explanation! And congratulations!

Do you have what they call a "legacy" vehicle at HW3? Or something newer that got this v12 update sooner than all of us oldies? I'm expecting to be a parent or a 2016.5 S soon! 😊

Upvote 0
Thank you for a wonderful, patient explanation! And congratulations!

Do you have what they call a "legacy" vehicle at HW3? Or something newer that got this v12 update sooner than all of us oldies? I'm expecting to be a parent or a 2016.5 S soon! 😊
I have a Legacy 2017 Model S 90D. It needed lots of upgrades (MCU, computer, cameras, all of it, that I got installed years ago). I just got V12 a few days ago with the Legacy rollout.

Upvote 0
Thank you again! So that's MCU2, HW3... Anything else?

Congratulations again! Looking forward to experiencing it myself one day! 😊
I think that's it? It was a couple years ago when they first introduced the camera upgrades, struggling to remember all the details. Was actually the first vehicle in Cleveland area to get it. I dont know what exactly needs upgraded to get V12, all I can say is, if there was an option to have it upgraded, I got it.

Reactions: Fragger
Upvote 0
Talk about a bummer. Has anyone had an issue with installing on a legacy car? Was so happy to finally get V12 for my 2020 Model S. Clicked install and it went to 30% and seemed to stall. Didn’t have an option so I just turned in for the night. Next morning the app showed it was still at 30%. Went to the car and nothing works except the key for to unlock/lock. Screens are dead, no climate, nothing. Contacted Tesla and after them checking remotely they said they are sending tow truck to my house. 30 minutes later my car is leaving. To their credit they were super responsive. Hard to believe the update could brick my car. Ruined 4 years of 100% total reliability. Hopefully Monday will get it back, I am going to insist they install the software while it is there.

Reactions: DanCar
Upvote 0
Pretty unusual for an update to fail catastrophically. A reboot using the steering wheel buttons may have corrected it enough for you to get to the service menu and reinstall the software. The bright spot, like you say, is that service was quick to respond. This would cripple me since the Tesla is the only car I have available. Tesla should be able to get you back on track quickly.

Upvote 0
Pretty unusual for an update to fail catastrophically. A reboot using the steering wheel buttons may have corrected it enough for you to get to the service menu and reinstall the software. The bright spot, like you say, is that service was quick to respond. This would cripple me since the Tesla is the only car I have available. Tesla should be able to get you back on track quickly.
I tried the scroll wheel reboot and the hold-the-brake /scroll wheel reboot. Everything in side the car was dead except the hazard light button.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Talk about a bummer. Has anyone had an issue with installing on a legacy car? Was so happy to finally get V12 for my 2020 Model S. Clicked install and it went to 30% and seemed to stall. Didn’t have an option so I just turned in for the night. Next morning the app showed it was still at 30%. Went to the car and nothing works except the key for to unlock/lock. Screens are dead, no climate, nothing. Contacted Tesla and after them checking remotely they said they are sending tow truck to my house. 30 minutes later my car is leaving. To their credit they were super responsive. Hard to believe the update could brick my car. Ruined 4 years of 100% total reliability. Hopefully Monday will get it back, I am going to insist they install the software while it is there.
I’ve never had an issue with an update for my car but this is why I only install updates when home.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
WAY TOO CLOSE!
Surely I can’t be the only one that notices how close V12 drives to curbs, cars trashcans….whatever.?
Could it be only the S and X that does this? Due to the larger car footprint size?
It is very smooth and much more human like. Makes good decisions for the most part and has improved immensely.
BUT
For some reason I had to snatch the wheel at last second when it took a left turn on to a side street, as it was going to roll the back tire over it. It’s never done that. Coming back through the neighborhood with parked cars and trash cans on the street, I grabbed it again because I thought it was going to clip mirrors with a parked car. Way way too close. Same with an object like a trash can.
This seems like something that can be corrected without too much issue in future updates. I’m overall very happy using it. But I am extra vigilant for how close it gets to objects and curbs now.
I’m very curious of other’s thoughts on how close in a residential area it gets to parked cars…..or if they have seen curb issues?

Upvote 0
Yesterday, I was stopped at a red light, and the car turned on the left blinker to turn the wrong way onto a major street in town. There were visible street signs posted showing it was illegal, and, I assume the map data would have that the street was one way the wrong way. Anyway, I waited for the light to turn green, and sure enough, it was proceeding to turn left. I corrected FSD, and it then remapped my route to go around and come up the correct way on the one way street, which wasn't really even the correct way home anyway. FSD Beta 12.X still a joke, or perhaps designed only for California roads.

And, yes, it hugs the right side of the lane almost to the danger point. Better than the previous hugging of the left side of the lane-- but this should be a drivers selectable setting. I am going to try to recalibrate the camera and see if this has any effect.

Reactions: quickstrike12
Upvote 0
I’m very curious of other’s thoughts on how close in a residential area it gets to parked cars…..or if they have seen curb issues?
Too close to parked cars, pedestrians, and bicycles for my 12.3.4 taste. On the latter 2 I'll disengage every time. Never felt like I was ever going to hit anything on FSD though - more of a safety buffer.

Except, curbing is common regardless of model. Be very careful on both left/right turns especially without a lead car.

Upvote 0
WAY TOO CLOSE!
Surely I can’t be the only one that notices how close V12 drives to curbs, cars trashcans….whatever.?
Could it be only the S and X that does this? Due to the larger car footprint size?
It is very smooth and much more human like. Makes good decisions for the most part and has improved immensely.
BUT
For some reason I had to snatch the wheel at last second when it took a left turn on to a side street, as it was going to roll the back tire over it. It’s never done that. Coming back through the neighborhood with parked cars and trash cans on the street, I grabbed it again because I thought it was going to clip mirrors with a parked car. Way way too close. Same with an object like a trash can.
This seems like something that can be corrected without too much issue in future updates. I’m overall very happy using it. But I am extra vigilant for how close it gets to objects and curbs now.
Just a suggestion but Maybe stop emergency grabbing the wheel and actually hold it as instructed and you might have better results.

Reactions: SO16
Upvote 0