Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will MX change lanes when auto steer is on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
youtube video says car will.change lane when its on auto steer and lane change signal is pressed. but i,ve tried several times on my MX and it does not work. anybody have any experiences with that?
Do you have Auto Lane Change enabled in Settings? It is a separate option, located to the right of the Autosteer settings.

youtube video says car will.change lane when its on auto steer and lane change signal is pressed. but i,ve tried several times on my MX and it does not work. anybody have any experiences with that?

Follow what Mirrson stated.

Do you have Auto Lane Change enabled in Settings? It is a separate option, located to the right of the Autosteer settings.

I'm not sure if it's fully active on AP2 yet, but I can confirm AP1 works. Once it's enabled, you're in autosteer, you just need to fully hit the indicator. I've noticed that it will need to register the lane (blue lines along the lane) to know that it can change. I tried it on an unmarked road and it doesn't respond, which I think is a good thing.

interesting. i dont have anything to the right of the autosteer.

I don't have my car right now, but that is odd. I remember it being in the same screen, top right corner. What do you have there? What software & hardware version are you on?
As others have mentioned, the feature is only on HW1 cars so far. I have a loaner and it has the option for Auto Lane Change in the top right corner of the Driver Assistance settings. I should have my HW2 car back soon and I'm sure it doesn't have that option because it hasn't been enabled for that hardware yet. The loaner has 17.6.15 but I'm sure the option has been there a year or more for HW1 cars.

Last edited:
Just got back from a short trip on 17.7.2. Going out, I had the option to activate AP on a 2 lane local road but only when going less than 35 mph. It worked OK but going around tight bends is not too good yet. On return trip, the option to activate AP wasn't available. It said that AP was not activated anymore. Not sure why.

The new version is suppose to allow parallel parking only. Didn't have opportunity to try yet.

Yes to add you have to have the option turned on separately to work. Note, when you do and a lane change is available you'll be able to tell on the display. Instead of just drawing the 2 lanes around you that you are locked on to (the blue lines), it'll also draw lanes available out to the left, right, or both and thinner grey/dark lines in addition.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Just saw on Tesla Forum some are reporting new update to 17.7.2 which now includes Auto Park.

Anyone here got this update.

I still have 17.5.28 and am anxious for latest.
Regarding 17.7.2
"option for Auto Lane Change in the top right corner of the Driver Assistance settings" does not exist yet. Features for summons and perpendicular auto-park not yet either.

|v8.0(17.7.2)| AP2-HW2 | PUP |