Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will MX fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will mine fit? Also, did anyone find a bumper for the rails and garage door?
I think you'll likely be unable to open your passenger side FWD in the garage, but the driver's side one should be fine. You're tight on that side, especially with the curtain there. I don't see that measurement, but if your door is 100", and the X is 84", that leaves 8" per side of the door to get in. That works (barely), but it looks like you only have another 3-6" on the passenger side, so it won't be wide enough to clear. Granted, passenger side standard doors are tight in your configuration, as you noted in the other thread.

Reactions: K-MTG
I think you'll likely be unable to open your passenger side FWD in the garage, but the driver's side one should be fine. You're tight on that side, especially with the curtain there. I don't see that measurement, but if your door is 100", and the X is 84", that leaves 8" per side of the door to get in. That works (barely), but it looks like you only have another 3-6" on the passenger side, so it won't be wide enough to clear. Granted, passenger side standard doors are tight in your configuration, as you noted in the other thread.

Thanks for the info. I can just have the passengers get out from the drivers wing but I want to make sure that the wings don't ding anything, especially the rails for the garage door.

Thanks for the info. I can just have the passengers get out from the drivers wing but I want to make sure that the wings don't ding anything, especially the rails for the garage door.
Those measurements are really similar to mine (as you can see upthread, 88.5" on my rails) and you can see how well my driver's side falcon wing door opens. In fact, I park it on the other side now and it opens almost fully. I think you'll be completely fine.

Reactions: K-MTG
Those measurements are really similar to mine (as you can see upthread, 88.5" on my rails) and you can see how well my driver's side falcon wing door opens. In fact, I park it on the other side now and it opens almost fully. I think you'll be completely fine.

Great, I didn't see a photo with the FWD open when the garage is closed, does it stop at the same hight to avoid hitting the rails?

@gmtom1, here is some data.

Bottom of rails: 88.5"
Bottom of opener housing: 87.5"

You are correct that when I pull in to my normal distance, the opener isn't in the path of the doors. However, I had some clearance to pull forward enough to test when it was. In all cases, they opened acceptably. The outside edges (measurements shown) were at 64" and 61.5", but as you can see, there is a lot of clearance to the inside of those. Basically, higher than the roofline will be once the doors close - so technically it provides a little more clearance than a traditional door.

You can see that when I pulled forward to where the opener was in the way, they opened just about the same amount. It doesn't factor in because of where the doors stop - they don't meet in the middle.

I'm pretty happy with the way they open in a relatively tight space. The driver's side door doesn't open as much as the other because of side clearance - when I'm in the other bay, both doors do better since I don't have the shelving on the side.

Let me know if you have more questions.. hope this helps.

View attachment 170881 View attachment 170882 View attachment 170883 View attachment 170884 View attachment 170885 View attachment 170886

ohmman.....thanks for the pictures. Your photos show an exact replica of my situation when I get the X. I also have honda odyssey and there are cabinets on the other side!
Thanks again!!

Reactions: mlouie23
When I bought my house a few years ago, I immediately replaced both openers with Sommer, and I installed the equipment box to the ceiling (as shown on #1 above) instead of hanging on the end of the track like it usually is. The motor is traveling on the track, and you can mount the track almost flush to the ceiling, allowing you to lift the rails and the door up almost as high.

The result is a much cleaner installation and nice headroom above, not to mention an incredibly quiet operation. I also installed a second opener to a single-wide door on the side so that there is nothing overhead (due to the distribution of weight, the side-mount should never be used on a double-wide door, but it works well on a single).

Sommer

Amazon

and to ceiling-mount it you'll need the connector wire also

and side-mount kit for single-wide doors

Low-Profile-Garage-Door-Opener-Ideas.png

s511269854833033134_p13_i1_w250.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ModelX and mlouie23
Since I started the thread, I figure I'll add some photos now that I have the X. First photo shows the "natural" opening with sensor stoppage. Second photo shows full override. It fits but I understand why it wouldn't open that much.

The clearance in the first photo is actually pretty acceptable. However, within a few weeks we'll have a single double-wide door and higher rails with no overhead opener, so I think it won't matter much.

View attachment 170745 View attachment 170746
ohmman: Thanks for the pics. Worth a thousand words! Has anyone open the falcon wing doors with the garage door down(closed) and did the doors hit the rails where the garage door rides on?

New to the forum but have been reading a lot as we decide whether to order the Model X. But I wanted to share that our Tesla dealer is bringing a Model X to our house (~30 min from the showroom) to do a garage fit test. My husband will also get to test drive it then, since I took the test drive when we first looked at it.

New to the forum but have been reading a lot as we decide whether to order the Model X. But I wanted to share that our Tesla dealer is bringing a Model X to our house (~30 min from the showroom) to do a garage fit test. My husband will also get to test drive it then, since I took the test drive when we first looked at it.
Hi @RKap ! Wow! Didn't know they did house visits. I'd like to do the same. Do you have a contact to share? I'm <30 minutes away from the factory or a showroom too. Which showroom does this?

Hi @RKap ! Wow! Didn't know they did house visits. I'd like to do the same. Do you have a contact to share? I'm <30 minutes away from the factory or a showroom too. Which showroom does this?

Walnut Creek (Ryan Torres is the Owner Advisor). I was pretty surprised when he offered it after I emailed to get some specs and told him it was so we could figure out the garage. I have no idea if this is Tesla's new thing, if he took pity on us since we visited the showroom with 14 month old twins, or if he's desperate for sales, but I'll take it! Don't get him in trouble if he's not supposed to do this - at least until after Friday afternoon when he's coming!

Walnut Creek (Ryan Torres is the Owner Advisor). I was pretty surprised when he offered it after I emailed to get some specs and told him it was so we could figure out the garage. I have no idea if this is Tesla's new thing, if he took pity on us since we visited the showroom with 14 month old twins, or if he's desperate for sales, but I'll take it! Don't get him in trouble if he's not supposed to do this - at least until after Friday afternoon when he's coming!
They are as flexible as it can get. I mean Tesla stores in general. A while back I had an S on order and wasn't sure if it was the right car for me/family. I told them this and they gave me the car for 24 hrs to help make up my mind.

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has either opened the rear doors in a very low garage, or tested how 'usable' they are at various heights. In particular, what the opening is like when the ceiling is 75" and 80". I haven't seen anyone in this thread with a ceiling that low.

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has either opened the rear doors in a very low garage, or tested how 'usable' they are at various heights. In particular, what the opening is like when the ceiling is 75" and 80". I haven't seen anyone in this thread with a ceiling that low.
That's actually pretty low. I don't have my X yet but I would think that kind of height would lead to the "umbrella" mode opening, unless of course there is also of lateral space too. You could check some pictures on this and another pertinent threads wherein the X is shown with the FWD open under an open garage door.

That's actually pretty low. I don't have my X yet but I would think that kind of height would lead to the "umbrella" mode opening, unless of course there is also of lateral space too. You could check some pictures on this and another pertinent threads wherein the X is shown with the FWD open under an open garage door.

Thanks - most examples in this thread have more clearance than I do. Best case, I get 86", but I may trade off trunk opening as a result of having to position the X behind a bar running across the ceiling. Next best is 79" if I move a support bracket (seems possible). Worst case is 75.5" if the bracket can't move (very unlikely).

I'm fine with an umbrella opening - most of the time in the garage I only need enough space for the kids to slide into the gap :)

I'm guessing that lower ceilings will become more common as non-US shipments start (from what I can see, people in the US tend to have pretty high ceiling garages!)

Thanks - most examples in this thread have more clearance than I do. Best case, I get 86", but I may trade off trunk opening as a result of having to position the X behind a bar running across the ceiling. Next best is 79" if I move a support bracket (seems possible). Worst case is 75.5" if the bracket can't move (very unlikely).

I'm fine with an umbrella opening - most of the time in the garage I only need enough space for the kids to slide into the gap :)

I'm guessing that lower ceilings will become more common as non-US shipments start (from what I can see, people in the US tend to have pretty high ceiling garages!)
Please look for posts from @K-MTG. I If I recall correctly his clearance was 79" and he has posted pictures with dimensions in @ohmman 's thread "will the X fit in my garage". @K-MTG has a thread on his X in which he posted videos of the X opening in his garage without any modifications. Sorry I couldn't link all those here from the phone. Good luck!

Reactions: ND100
Please look for posts from @K-MTG. I If I recall correctly his clearance was 79" and he has posted pictures with dimensions in @ohmman 's thread "will the X fit in my garage". @K-MTG has a thread on his X in which he posted videos of the X opening in his garage without any modifications. Sorry I couldn't link all those here from the phone. Good luck!

Thanks, How many of you "fixed" your garage to accomodate Model X? is the post with the dimensions and video (for anyone else trying to find it).

It is hard to tell from the angle in the video whether the door actually uses the space, but @K-MTG 's ceiling is 104" at the point where the FWD is at its highest. I can see the tip of the door stops below the rail which is a good sign, but my ceiling is lower than the rail in his garage.