Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will MX fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does someone know how wide the falcon wing doors are if they are fully up and open? I am rearranging my garage in hopes that it is possible they can open most of the way, but i have a big fire sprinkler tank in my garage that may make it hard for the doors to fully open. DS said I should expect X mid April so doing my best to prepare for my first Tesla.

Does someone know how wide the falcon wing doors are if they are fully up and open? I am rearranging my garage in hopes that it is possible they can open most of the way, but i have a big fire sprinkler tank in my garage that may make it hard for the doors to fully open. DS said I should expect X mid April so doing my best to prepare for my first Tesla.

I have the same ETA but don't have a VIN. Do you?

Since I started the thread, I figure I'll add some photos now that I have the X. First photo shows the "natural" opening with sensor stoppage. Second photo shows full override. It fits but I understand why it wouldn't open that much.

The clearance in the first photo is actually pretty acceptable. However, within a few weeks we'll have a single double-wide door and higher rails with no overhead opener, so I think it won't matter much.

IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1792.JPG

Reactions: dtan398
BTW The car on the right has a sliding door. How does it compare to using the falcon wing? Afterall it was a big comparison point by Elon and some people on here said it would have been easier and quicker to do the sliding doors on the X.

Is the Falcon wing better as musk says in closed spaces and is it just as quick to get in and out?
That's a Honda Odyssey. The sliding doors open as quickly, if not faster than the falcon wings. They also don't require that you step out of the way to open or close them, as I'm learning to do with the falcons. Sliders have been on vans for a while because they make a lot of sense.
I think the real problem with sliders is that they constrain the body shape to something that doesn't work for a CUV. They also don't create the open headroom, which some find liberating. However, they always worked when I wanted them to.

• Informative
Reactions: 1208
Since I started the thread, I figure I'll add some photos now that I have the X. First photo shows the "natural" opening with sensor stoppage. Second photo shows full override. It fits but I understand why it wouldn't open that much.

The clearance in the first photo is actually pretty acceptable. However, within a few weeks we'll have a single double-wide door and higher rails with no overhead opener, so I think it won't matter much.

Congrats on finally getting the X! How high are your rails right now? Also, does your current opener height interfere at all with the FWD? It appears from the pictures that the opener is forward of the FWD and thus would not impact their opening? Perhaps a side-shot picture with the garage door closed, if you don't mind. Finally, is there any issues if you back into the garage? I'm concerned if my X will fit in my garage and I'm not in a position to swap out the opener nor make the rails any higher in my garage. I suspect that I'll have to back into my garage if I want to have the FWD open full-height. Thanks!

How high are your rails right now? Also, does your current opener height interfere at all with the FWD? It appears from the pictures that the opener is forward of the FWD and thus would not impact their opening? Perhaps a side-shot picture with the garage door closed, if you don't mind. Finally, is there any issues if you back into the garage? I'm concerned if my X will fit in my garage and I'm not in a position to swap out the opener nor make the rails any higher in my garage. I suspect that I'll have to back into my garage if I want to have the FWD open full-height. Thanks!

What'd really help is if the spec sheet included the minimum height needed for the doors to open with a 'reasonable' gap between the door and the car.

I'm trying to work out if expecting them to be at all functional in 78" (which is where the torsion bar is for me) is crazy-talk :)

Last edited:
@gmtom1, here is some data.

Bottom of rails: 88.5"
Bottom of opener housing: 87.5"

You are correct that when I pull in to my normal distance, the opener isn't in the path of the doors. However, I had some clearance to pull forward enough to test when it was. In all cases, they opened acceptably. The outside edges (measurements shown) were at 64" and 61.5", but as you can see, there is a lot of clearance to the inside of those. Basically, higher than the roofline will be once the doors close - so technically it provides a little more clearance than a traditional door.

You can see that when I pulled forward to where the opener was in the way, they opened just about the same amount. It doesn't factor in because of where the doors stop - they don't meet in the middle.

I'm pretty happy with the way they open in a relatively tight space. The driver's side door doesn't open as much as the other because of side clearance - when I'm in the other bay, both doors do better since I don't have the shelving on the side.

Let me know if you have more questions.. hope this helps.

IMG_1803.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_1805.jpg
IMG_1807.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1810.JPG

Congrats Ohmman!
You could probably consider going with the jackshaft type door opener which mounts on the side and doesn't need the middle rail (maybe that's what you referred to?) I am planning to go that route myself and raise the raise about 8 inches to make space for a full opening without any adjustments.
Edit: Btw did you go with premium package. You may recall the discussion on twitter with Elon, although he did answer my question about going with non perforated versions with kids, I am yet to see a non-premium white interior.

@gmtom1, here is some data.

Let me know if you have more questions.. hope this helps.

Thank you so much! One measurement that'd be really useful for some of us I'm sure is the distance from the front-most point of the FWD (when open) to the front of the car.

This would allow for the calculation of whether the Model X can be positioned in the garage such that the doors open behind a center-mounted torsion bar. For example, it may be possible to reverse the car so the doors can open to the full height of a garage (missing hitting the torsion bar).

Btw did you go with premium package.
I am going with the corkscrew, it will be installed in the next few weeks. And yes, I do have the premium package.

Thank you so much! One measurement that'd be really useful for some of us I'm sure is the
distance from the front-most point of the FWD (when open) to the front of the car.

So I did my best to measure - this isn't easy. It looks like 105" from the bottom edge of the falcon wing door (which is the farthest forward) to the tip of the nose. And 109.5" from the hinge point of the door to the nose. So since I think you're trying to determine centric overhead clearance, the latter number is the one you care about. Disclaimer: I had to eyeball a lot of this and I did my best. YMMV etc.

Oh, and @GoTslaGo - see if you can spot the ladder(s) in my photos. I promise, there are ladders in the garage.

• Helpful
Reactions: gmtom1 and ND100
So I did my best to measure - this isn't easy. It looks like 105" from the bottom edge of the falcon wing door (which is the farthest forward) to the tip of the nose. And 109.5" from the hinge point of the door to the nose. So since I think you're trying to determine centric overhead clearance, the latter number is the one you care about. Disclaimer: I had to eyeball a lot of this and I did my best. YMMV etc.

Thanks! The estimate based on diagram/photo measurements in another thread on this was 101.75". If it's closer to 109" all the better :)

Since everyone has a ladder (or two), another set of images/measurements/videos that would be great are to see how useful the doors are at different ceiling heights.

It's unclear if the doors open enough to be usable at ceiling heights of under 85" or so. So, if anyone's up for a weekend challenge with a couple of ladders and a plank of wood or a pole (careful though!), setting up a barrier at varying heights and seeing how the doors function would be awesome (starting at 75"?). Photos showing the gap between door and car (ie, can a person get in?) would be perfect!

There aren't many videos or images showing the doors stopping at different heights.

Last edited:
This is my garage before I had a Liftmaster 8500 installed. I have a 10ft high garage. The FWD will sense the old garage door opener. clearence is very tight; about 2 inches,
garage0.JPG

This is what it looks like after installing the Liftmaster 8500. The installers also raised the rails about 2 inches to give more clearance.
garage1.JPG

This view shows how the rails were raised 2 inches. clearance is now 4 inches.,

garage2.JPG

This shows the Liftmaster 8500. It connects to the metal rod. You need to have a power connector within about 4 feet.
garage3.JPG

full view.
garage4.JPG