Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Rotate Your Tires for Free When Taking It In For Warranty Work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did when I asked them, but I've also read (here on TMC) it's only free the first time. So I don't know if they charge other times or not, I've only rotated my tires once (they're wearing evenly).

Of course SvCs will rotate tires. As long as those tires match an OEM variant, and are mounted on OEM wheels. So for 19"s, that means Goodyear Eagle RS-A2, Michelin Primacy MXM-4, and the new Goodyear Touring tires.

Rumor has it the Model 3 will get Hankooks.

In any case, tire rotations are done free of charge at any SvC.

One thing to keep in mind is the condition of your lug nuts. Soft caps they have. Inspect them after each rotation.

Last time I was at the Service Center they wanted, I think $90 to do a rotation. I told them no thanks and did it myself.

As would I. That's disturbing, and completely contrary to what I've been told by multiple SvC managers in multiple regions.

In fact, after I replaced the Michelins on the first car with Goodyears, they rotated them without question. Got 53K+ out of the Michelins so they were rotated a lot.

And I just had the new Goodyears on the latest chariot rotated - again at no charge.

It's inconsistency like this for the simplest things that's just annoying.

As would I. That's disturbing, and completely contrary to what I've been told by multiple SvC managers in multiple regions.

In fact, after I replaced the Michelins on the first car with Goodyears, they rotated them without question. Got 53K+ out of the Michelins so they were rotated a lot.

And I just had the new Goodyears on the latest chariot rotated - again at no charge.

It's inconsistency like this for the simplest things that's just annoying.
Do you have the annual service plan/extended "warranty" (whatever it's called)?

Just trying to save time and money. Has anyone had a recent experience with this?

when in doubt, let's look up the maintenance plans:

"Tire rotations are included in the annual service inspection. Tire rotations performed in between annual service inspections are charged separately."

That's the policy but of course, Tesla can do goodwill beyond the policy. I've heard many have brought theirs in between the annual plan for rotations and don't get charged.

Some could get rotations for free whether they have maintenance plans or not. Others would be charged when they don't have a maintenance plans...

It's all over the map.

So do your homework, know what the policy is and be happy if Tesla does better than what the policy says.

Last edited:
Do you have the annual service plan/extended "warranty" (whatever it's called)?

Neither the ESA nor a bundled service plan package have I.

As the ESA and everything else morphs, it has become increasingly more important to note what's in place at the time of vehicle purchase, and to then hold Tesla to that. I've gotten good at screenshots and keeping electronic copies of documentation handy, in other words (see recent supercharging snafu).

And it goes both ways - if you don't buy an ESA within the first 6 months after purchase, don't be surprised when it costs $500 more - as presently stated in the Support pages.

But for tire rotations - good lord - I've gotten a consistent message from every SvC manager with whom I've spoken - and I've spoken with more than most (been through 46 states and a province or 4 with the car(s) so far). Rotations are free as long as they're OEM tires and wheels.

Now, what has changed is the recommended frequency - 5000 --> 7500 -- 6250 miles. The last being right about the time they changed the annual service verbiage to reflect *either* 12,500 miles or 12 months (whichever comes first).

Tangentially, I've also been told that annual service means annual service regardless of mileage - but some friends who have purchased the bundled service plans got screwed out of 2 annual services if they had higher mileage. The moral there being - don't bundle unless you plan to waste time after the fact getting your money credited back at the regional level.

In two words... growing pains. Welcome to early adoption, eh?

• Informative
Reactions: Max*