Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the CAQ abolish rebates un Québec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What blows my mind is with the amount of clean energy quebec generates, you’d thing they’d do everything in their power to keep people’s money in Quebec instead of leaving the province every time someone buys gas. The $8000 is money that stays in Quebec and is presumably spent here and therefore good for the local economy. Money spent on electricity to charge stays in Quebec and the money saved on energy costs increases discretionary spending in Quebec. It’s a win-win for the economy. Too bad people don’t understand that.

Hey hold on now. Dollarize the amount of CO2 saved by any EV and the rebates look like chump change. One less chronic asthma sufferer saves our health care system tens of thousands in their life time (2.1 Billion annual cost to Canadian system spent on asthma)

https://www.asthma.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Asthma-Facts-and-Stats.pdf

But of course, Harper put an end to that with funding cuts to our sciences nation wide. Anyone willing to pay tax on $100,000 vehicle - good for them for achieving financial success and purchasing what they want.

Twelve more years to turn things around and all corners of the world want to go back to 1960's with double the world population. You can't have non-stop linear growth using decades old technology without significant systemic imbalances. Heatwaves, droughts, water shortages while that water is picked up by epic storms at other parts of the world. The *sugar* storm is here, we should be doing everything in our power to mitigate the damage to the climate system while bracing for the worse.

Your expecting too much from the general population to see and understand a correlation between EV rebates and Asthma. Many people see increased gas prices and tax rebates to the rich. I think most people want a better environment, they just do not want to pay for it.

I don’t know if I read it here so sorry if I’m repeating anything but I recently read that there was only 42,3 M$ left in the rebate funds which was said to expire by the end of the year but a Tweet I read said otherwise
766CB6BF-41A4-4024-986D-FB34762AD1DF.jpeg

Do not be rude on Adaptable, I do not think he denies the facts presented here.

He just show us the vast majority of people are dumb and cannot think further more than their next pay check.
As he wrote, most people agreed to save the planet, but do not want to make effort from their side for it (basically the syndrome of people watching TV saying they could sing as good as the ones on TV, but prefer to sat on their ass than to get up and train for it).

Can anyone prove him wrong after seeing the election results in the US, Ontario, and Quebec?

I am sorry, but we are surrounded by dumb people.

PS: Do you recycle? Do you diminish your use of plastic? Do you compost your waste?

Has anyone heard something about the incentive after March 31? We are considering a Model 3 but we want to wait after March 15 so we can push back the purchase of winter tires/wheels to next fall or end of year.

Has anyone heard something about the incentive after March 31? We are considering a Model 3 but we want to wait after March 15 so we can push back the purchase of winter tires/wheels to next fall or end of year.
I doubt you'll get a definitive answer from anyone here, just like before the Ont election everyone was speculating it would end, but there were no confirmations. To be honest, its a risk/reward call only you could make.

If my experience helps you make the decision at all, I would pull the trigger now: I chose to go with the AWD model 3 because I assumed if I made a RWD order I wouldn't get it before the govt cancelled the rebates/I was holding a glimmer of hope that AWD might get added to the list before cancellation occurred (I ordered July 2nd). At the time I figured AWD was a ~5k premium since neither car would likely get me a rebate. Fast forward to today, and if I had ordered RWD I would have gotten the car and 14k rebate, so my AWD with no rebate is actually close to a $20k 'premium'.

That being said, I'm still very happy with my decision....but $20k pays for a lot of winter tires :)

So, if it were me I wouldn't gamble. It will take time for the car to show up anyway, so you might not get the car until March 1st anyway...then just ask for home delivery and park it while resisting the urge to drive it for 15 days :)

Plus, you'll need to buy winter tires next year anyway.....soooo.....I would buy it. You are free to use my referral code for this 'advice' :p

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Vawlkus and lukex4
Nothing specific about the 8000$ incentive but with this new report that the "Fonds Vert" (Green fund) is ineffective, there's a chance the incentive disappears.

Le Fonds vert toujours aussi inefficace (Google Translate)

La Presse said:
Conseil de gestion du Fonds vert a recommandé d'arrêter « dès maintenant » 32 des 183 programmes financés par l'enveloppe, et de n'en maintenir que 55.
Google Translate said:
the Green Fund Board of Management recommended that 32 of the 183 programs funded by the envelope should be terminated "immediately" and keep only 55.

New CAQ budget to be unveil this afternoon. I've a LR RWD on order (no VIN yet) so I do hope there isn't any decreasing/cancelling of the QC incentive.

With some report last month that the "Green Fund" is ineffective, I'm moderately confident...

But the co-chair of the "Climate Council of Canada" has good hope:
Twitter said:
En espérant que le rabais du Québec sera maintenu dans le budget de la semaine prochaine...
Steven Guilbeault said:
Mais avec les commentaires que la CAQ là-dessus jusqu'à maintenant, j'ai bon espoir que ce soit le cas.

New CAQ budget to be unveil this afternoon. I've a LR RWD on order (no VIN yet) so I do hope there isn't any decreasing/cancelling of the QC incentive.

With some report last month that the "Green Fund" is ineffective, I'm moderately confident...

But the co-chair of the "Climate Council of Canada" has good hope:

Quebec budget: CAQ climate-change effort tepid, ineffective, critics say

We're safe!

"The budget’s single biggest climate-change-plan expense focuses on encouraging Quebecers to buy electric vehicles.

The government is extending for at least two years the rebate given to those purchasing all-electric and hybrid vehicles. It’s also broadening the measure to include used all-electric cars.

Just under $434 million over two years will be spent on the program, which is expected to contribute to the purchase of 66,000 electric vehicles and the installation of 29,000 charging stations over two years

A Quebecer buying a new electric car that costs under $75,000 gets an $8,000 rebate. A vehicle that costs between $75,000 and $125,000 generates a $3,000 rebate.

Starting this year, purchasers of used all-electric cars can also benefit. They’ll get $4,000 rebates for vehicles that cost less than $75,000, and $1,500 if they cost between $75,000 and $125,000.

Quebec plans to change the program next year. Starting then, only new and used cars that cost under $60,000 will be eligible for rebates.

In its budget Tuesday, the federal Liberal government announced a new $5,000 rebate for Canadians who buy zero-emission vehicles that cost less than $45,000."

A
So in another word, you can only buy up to the standard plus. Unless Tesla cuts the price of the LRby 500$...

Last year we had the 8000$ rebate for our LR model 3 + Autopilot with this same program. Unless something unnoticed has changed, it’s before taxes and do not consider add-on as Autopilot. So, all good for another year :)

The « miss » here is the federal program caped at 45000$ to exclude most of pure electric cars, even the standard M3 (47600$). Canada is an oil federation.

Reactions: RiverBrick
A

Last year we had the 8000$ rebate for our LR model 3 + Autopilot with this same program. Unless something unnoticed has changed, it’s before taxes and do not consider add-on as Autopilot. So, all good for another year :)

The « miss » here is the federal program caped at 45000$ to exclude most of pure electric cars, even the standard M3 (47600$). Canada is an oil federation.

Tesla can make a SR- and software limited kW capacity and sneak it in under 45K.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl and PatP