TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will the Model S fit in my garage?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by markusg, Aug 25, 2016.

1. markusg

markusg Member

So my garage is about 87.5" wide. It's also tough to get into with retaining walls on each side. Do you think it's possible to reasonably get into the garage, and will any of the automatic parking and/or sensor features help? I'm also worried about scraping... any thoughts welcome! Thanks! Photos are attached.

IMG_20160825_193619.jpg IMG_20160825_193631.jpg

2. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

I would recommend taking the "overnight test drive" so you can be 100% certain. FWIW, that's what I did to ensure it would fit into my garage.

• Like x 1
  3. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I've never tried summon on a slope.......very interesting demo site you have! I'm more of a chicken than ^slimshady^ , so I'd take your first test spin with the Tesla rep right to your house and ask him/her to demo summon in your drievway. If it fits & works, then take it for an over-nighter and test everything else. Do you have more room to swing the doors open in the garage? And how slickery is the driveway when wet? You could become a Tesla commercial. :)

• Like x 1
  4. brkaus

brkaus Member

I wouldn't try summon under those conditions. It's messed up in much easier conditions.

Ditto what was said above - if your serious - ask for the overnight test drive or just a day drive where they visit your house.

Sadly, I did the overnight drive and it didn't fit in my garage :(

5. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

Summon won't work on that driveway. I have a driveway with almost a 30 degree incline and I won't even try using Summon. Homelink was interesting too. The garage door didn't open and I was already half way up on the driveway :p

6. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

I think it would be pretty tight fit if you fold the mirrors before getting into garage. I would consider parking on the drive way instead.

7. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I was afraid of that. Well hopefully he's got better width inside the garage or he's SOL without summon unless he leaves the beauty outside. :eek:

8. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Looking at the specs section on the Tesla website says width is 86.2" and 77.3" with mirrors folded. So with the mirrors folded, you will only have about 5" per side of clearance. Not much room for error. What about once you get in the garage, how wide is that? Hopefully wider so you can actually open the door to get out.

9. markusg

markusg Member

Sadly parking in the driveway isn't an option - the driveway is also what San Francisco considers to be the sidewalk which cannot be blocked. The incline can't be parked on since I wouldn't be able to open the doors. The good news is that once you're inside the garage it's quite roomy.

10. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

Custom ramp to try leveling of the slop for parking outside? :)

11. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Oh yah, hydraulics baby!! ;)

12. markusg

markusg Member

13. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

See the official dimension of Model S at the bottom of this page (Model S | Tesla)

Also, if you are getting Model S, you definitely need the smart air suspension, so that you can set it to "very high" to clear those slope. Otherwise, it will scratch the bottom. I think if you get Model X, you would probably safe with the regular suspension.

14. sorka

sorka Active Member

I say you go for it and if it doesn't work out, my garage is big enough :rolleyes:

15. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Ya, these guys are right. Get a demo unit out there with a Tesla rep and check out your options. Tight squeeze through the door. But apparently enough room once inside to get out of the car. SF garages can be a really tight fit. Those garages were built for Model A's!

16. markusg

markusg Member

Sure :p. I'm going to have them call me and see if they'll try backing it into my garage for me :).

17. Swissmoneychf

Swissmoneychf Member

I had a loaner last weekend to try my garage:

[​IMG]

And that's what happened:

[​IMG]

These american cars are so freaking huge... A brand new 90d with 500 kilometers, what a shame.

• Informative x 1
  18. theaxe

theaxe Member

If it's any consolation my (UK) garage is 210cm wide at the door. Less than 83 inches. Currently my plan is to fit the garage with some mirrors to allow me to drive in and out with the car's mirrors folded. I might also make an artificial curb out of wood to prevent me getting too close to the wall once inside.

19. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Five inches on each side is huge!! When I pull into my garage I have about 1-2" clearance on each side and my mirrors don't fold! I'll take a pic later today. It's a tight fit but it works and I'm used to it, I don't consider it a big problem.

20. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I'd be more concerned about the approach/departure angle and scraping the underside of the car. Looks like a job for the air suspension.