Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model S fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my garage is about 87.5" wide. It's also tough to get into with retaining walls on each side. Do you think it's possible to reasonably get into the garage, and will any of the automatic parking and/or sensor features help? I'm also worried about scraping... any thoughts welcome! Thanks! Photos are attached.

IMG_20160825_193619.jpg
IMG_20160825_193631.jpg

I've never tried summon on a slope.......very interesting demo site you have! I'm more of a chicken than ^slimshady^ , so I'd take your first test spin with the Tesla rep right to your house and ask him/her to demo summon in your drievway. If it fits & works, then take it for an over-nighter and test everything else. Do you have more room to swing the doors open in the garage? And how slickery is the driveway when wet? You could become a Tesla commercial. :)

Reactions: S'toon
I wouldn't try summon under those conditions. It's messed up in much easier conditions.

Ditto what was said above - if your serious - ask for the overnight test drive or just a day drive where they visit your house.

Sadly, I did the overnight drive and it didn't fit in my garage :(

Looking at the specs section on the Tesla website says width is 86.2" and 77.3" with mirrors folded. So with the mirrors folded, you will only have about 5" per side of clearance. Not much room for error. What about once you get in the garage, how wide is that? Hopefully wider so you can actually open the door to get out.

Sadly parking in the driveway isn't an option - the driveway is also what San Francisco considers to be the sidewalk which cannot be blocked. The incline can't be parked on since I wouldn't be able to open the doors. The good news is that once you're inside the garage it's quite roomy.

See the official dimension of Model S at the bottom of this page (Model S | Tesla)

Also, if you are getting Model S, you definitely need the smart air suspension, so that you can set it to "very high" to clear those slope. Otherwise, it will scratch the bottom. I think if you get Model X, you would probably safe with the regular suspension.

Ya, these guys are right. Get a demo unit out there with a Tesla rep and check out your options. Tight squeeze through the door. But apparently enough room once inside to get out of the car. SF garages can be a really tight fit. Those garages were built for Model A's!

If it's any consolation my (UK) garage is 210cm wide at the door. Less than 83 inches. Currently my plan is to fit the garage with some mirrors to allow me to drive in and out with the car's mirrors folded. I might also make an artificial curb out of wood to prevent me getting too close to the wall once inside.

Looking at the specs section on the Tesla website says width is 86.2" and 77.3" with mirrors folded. So with the mirrors folded, you will only have about 5" per side of clearance. Not much room for error. What about once you get in the garage, how wide is that? Hopefully wider so you can actually open the door to get out.

Five inches on each side is huge!! When I pull into my garage I have about 1-2" clearance on each side and my mirrors don't fold! I'll take a pic later today. It's a tight fit but it works and I'm used to it, I don't consider it a big problem.