Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will there be a Model X Beta Event?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, this is genius. It would be the best PR EVER for Tesla (well, since Broder). Can you imagine if they held a Model X reveal in either Fremont or at Space X during the Detroit Auto Show? It would get great press for many reasons - kicked out little guy takes on the establishment, Model X probably being cooler than all other cars at the show, 65 and sunny for outdoor tent event (I know that's a coin toss) vs. 33 and sleeting under grey skies, etc.

I love it!

Tesla, think about it.

I agree, why would we want to do anything in Michigan when we cannot sell cars there. Do it in California at the factory in mild weather. Pr statement "we are not allowed at the Detroit auto show" so decided to have our event in California where we are allowed to sell our cars.

Love it! Goes to show that Tesla can generate it's own "auto show" and media buzz whenever it wants to. The whole world is watching every move Tesla makes now.

Nahhh. They'd have a cool 'in your face' moment, but lose out on the huge number of journalists and foot traffic at the show. That wouldn't be smart.

I'd rather see them at the show, with a nice sign out front saying, 'This Car is Not for Sale in Michigan'. And then explain to every single journalist and attendee exactly WHY they cannot sell the car in Michigan.

Nahhh. They'd have a cool 'in your face' moment, but lose out on the huge number of journalists and foot traffic at the show. That wouldn't be smart.

I'd rather see them at the show, with a nice sign out front saying, 'This Car is Not for Sale in Michigan'. And then explain to every single journalist and attendee exactly WHY they cannot sell the car in Michigan.

+1 on that!

"our cars are so good they're banned in 3 states!!!"

DUDE, that is genius! Tesla, has more than enough market at this point. They should stop making a big deal about the states that are fighting them, and use it for marketing. It would be cool as hell if they put a big banner right on the home page BANNED IN THREE STATES! That's - in your face, thanks for being a-holes, you just made our product more desirable, too bad for you - marketing.

DUDE, that is genius! Tesla, has more than enough market at this point. They should stop making a big deal about the states that are fighting them, and use it for marketing. It would be cool as hell if they put a big banner right on the home page BANNED IN THREE STATES! That's - in your face, thanks for being a-holes, you just made our product more desirable, too bad for you - marketing.

I wish they could stop making a big deal about the states that are fighting them, but I predict it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. They better not stop. It IS a big deal and it's hurting all of us. It won't be just three states if Tesla does nothing. NADA is organized and focused on this issue, make no mistake.

(Sorry, just the whole dealershi* thing has really set me off these days. American company, created thousands of American jobs, producing a quality product shipped around the world ... and some car salesmen are perverting the law to stop Tesla from selling cars. It's obscene.)

I wish they could stop making a big deal about the states that are fighting them, but I predict it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. They better not stop. It IS a big deal and it's hurting all of us. It won't be just three states if Tesla does nothing. NADA is organized and focused on this issue, make no mistake.

(Sorry, just the whole dealershi* thing has really set me off these days. American company, created thousands of American jobs, producing a quality product shipped around the world ... and some car salesmen are perverting the law to stop Tesla from selling cars. It's obscene.)

Don't get me wrong I completely agree with you, they do need to keep fighting. Using their banning of Tesla for marketing would just be part of the fight. It makes the car and company look cooler and would irritate the people who can't buy a car because their state says so. Maybe those residents would finally stand up for themselves and say, hey enough is enough, this is crazy. Maybe they'd get a little more proactive and write their lawmakers.

Don't get me wrong I completely agree with you, they do need to keep fighting. Using their banning of Tesla for marketing would just be part of the fight. It makes the car and company look cooler and would irritate the people who can't buy a car because their state says so. Maybe those residents would finally stand up for themselves and say, hey enough is enough, this is crazy. Maybe they'd get a little more proactive and write their lawmakers.

See my earlier post (#121), above. Obviously I agree with you.

Well, I guess this would be another type of in your face moment...

Tesla has has to win the argument at the consumer and/or legal level. At the state legislature level things are pretty intractable in many places. The question for them is how they best achieve the outcome they seek and need.

Well, I guess this would be another type of in your face moment...

Tesla has has to win the argument at the consumer and/or legal level. At the state legislature level things are pretty intractable in many places. The question for them is how they best achieve the outcome they seek and need.

Of course it has to be legal. I think everyone is in agreement on that. But given the fact that the auto show is open to concept cars (not legal for sale) and other entries, Michigan would be hard-pressed to come up with any argument to keep a manufacturer out.

It would be great publicity they were kept from participating, agreed. But that needs to be a real situation brought on by Michigan, not manufactured by Tesla for PR.

I believe TM will be at the Detroit Auto show and that Michigan/NADA would be foolish to try to block them. I hope that TM does go and indicates to their audience that the ONLY place in Michigan you are allowed to see their vehicles is at the auto show. No matter what, the PR generation from this event for TM will be positive and massive. They do not have to do much to get a lot of positive media attention.

Michigan/NADA are in a 'no win' situation when it comes to this event.....and that is EXCELLENT:wink:

While I do expect Model X to be at NAIAS and look forward to seeing it there, at last year's show Tesla indicated that the production Model X would be revealed at a Tesla event in California first. Of course plans could change in a year, but I do expect there to be some sort of reveal at the factory in advance of January's show.