Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy Enhanced Autopilot on your 3 at purchase?

Will you buy Enhanced Autopilot at the time of purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would they need to be any more alert than driving normally?
The uncertainty of when they may have to take over (or over-ride if it does something bad).

Its like when you have to catch a child when the child is doing crazy gymnastics vs just holding the child.

ps : a better comparison : sitting next to your teenage son just learning to drive.

Regrettably, I have to vote "No". There's no doubt in my mind that the Autopilot features are nifty and cool, the sort of thing that you can't wait to show whenever you're carrying a new passenger for the first time. I can even see them providing value on longer road trips (e.g. Boston to DC). That said, when I think about Autopilot from a practical perspective...

1. My daily commute is about 20 miles round-trip, all on local/state roads with traffic signals. No real chance to engage Autosteer/TACC.
2. We don't road-trip often... 1-2 times a year tops.
3. We don't have a garage, just a short, tandem-park driveway. No real use for Summon.
4. I've never really had an issue parking in parallel/perpendicular spaces, especially with the assistance of ultrasonic sensors.
5. The lower half of this image.

So, as much as I like the idea of Autopilot, and as much as I am mindful that life circumstances can and will change, the math just doesn't work out for our current use-cases and budget, especially not at $5K. For half of that, I'd probably bite, but as the options and timelines currently stand, AWD, PUP and LRB all have priority.

Scenarios that might make me change my mind:
  • AWD somehow arrives 2-3 months early and we become eligible for the full $7500 credit, freeing up $3750 in our budget. Not counting on this at all, but would love to be surprised...
  • AWD is priced closer to $3000 than $5000.
  • Price of LRB drops as cell production ramps up (possibly around the time AWD is released). No hint of this right now.
  • PUP package is split up into smaller options packages as production ramps up. Again, no hint of this happening, and runs counter to the idea of simplified production.
  • Tesla adds a medium-range battery option on the order of ~265 miles for ~$5K. I'd be shocked if they did this, especially if it's true that the number of battery modules is either 2 (SB) or 3 (LRB).
  • Tesla carries out Elon's hypothetical plan to "push customers toward the Standard Battery" to reduce cell demand, and in the process convinces/incentivizes me to think that the LRB is no longer necessary. Unlikely, but practical points #1 and #2 above leave the door slightly ajar.
  • The notion of a budget is rendered moot by some unforeseen, highly fortuitous event.

Last edited:
especially not at $5K
Exactly. Tesla seems to be pricing options as if they are selling a $100k car, still. If they are serious about a entry-level premium segment, they need to rethink their option packages. They'll get better take if they split up the packages to make them $1/$2k.

PUP : $5k
Long range : $9k
EAP : $5k

Exactly. Tesla seems to be pricing options as if they are selling a $100k car, still. If they are serious about a entry-level premium segment, they need to rethink their option packages. They'll get better take if they split up the packages to make them $1/$2k.

Agreed. I am in for PUP and gritting my teeth in for Long range ($14k already). EAP I'm sooooo on the fence. I really want that adaptive cruise control though :-( And sadly my understanding is it only comes with EAP. Being 6'5", it would be nice in all the stop and go HWY traffic to not have to put the extra stress on my knees. Would help with long drives from Vegas to LA too, again stop and go. Really the ACC is the only part of EAP I want right now, which definitely isn't worth $5k. Ugh

Agreed. I am in for PUP and gritting my teeth in for Long range ($14k already). EAP I'm sooooo on the fence. I really want that adaptive cruise control though :-( And sadly my understanding is it only comes with EAP. Being 6'5", it would be nice in all the stop and go HWY traffic to not have to put the extra stress on my knees. Would help with long drives from Vegas to LA too, again stop and go. Really the ACC is the only part of EAP I want right now, which definitely isn't worth $5k. Ugh
Keep a positive thought. S70D owners who had the software limited batteries were originally asked to pony up $3K to upgrade to P75 were later given a bargain basement upgrade offer of only $500. I'm hopeful something similar will happen with EAP.

yep.
I for one would love the better materials from the pup for the interior, but absolutely have no interest in the glass roof and the premium sound system. And from the EAP only the speedometer would be of any use to me atm...in a 5k package.
I kinda hope that Tesla will be able to offer individualization like the other manufacturers do when they get out of their ramp up problems. Software unlocking something like the adaptive cruise control for a grand or less should really be no problem given that the hardware is standardized anyways...but they want to keep their margin as big as possible and considering that they`ll be sold out for years to come they probably won`t bother with such "customer-friendly" options.

Reactions: kenbefound
Why would they need to be any more alert than driving normally?
I think it also has to do with the type of attention required. Steering a car is such an incredibly well learned behavior for most of us that it requires little cognitive engagement to manage. Critiquing someone else's driving, however, requires us to be consciously engaged and can put excess strain on our attention.

Reactions: Stirfelt
I for one would love the better materials from the pup for the interior, but absolutely have no interest in the glass roof and the premium sound system.
That's funny. I actually prefer textile seats and don't care if they're manual, but I really want premium sound and glass roof. Maybe we should split the difference and swap out seats. I'm sure that wouldn't be complicated :)

Reactions: Phrixotrichus
Keep a positive thought. S70D owners who had the software limited batteries were originally asked to pony up $3K to upgrade to P75 were later given a bargain basement upgrade offer of only $500. I'm hopeful something similar will happen with EAP.

So you are saying you aren't getting EAP or basically not to get it, and hope that at a later point they give us a cheaper than $5k upgrade option?

I'm pretty sure I'm getting EAP at purchase time. I don't commute every day, but I have long drives for work that average 5-6 hours on highways each week. EAP is one of the key features I want from my car.

As an aside, anyone here from NJ know if EAP purchased later is subject to the 7% state sales tax? For those who don't know, EVs are exempt from the NJ sales tax. (Saving me $2450 on a base car and $3220 on my likely config)). Assuming EAP is $6000 if purchased later and also subject to sales tax, the true cost for me in NJ would be $6420 rather than $5000 when I purchase the car. Won't matter for me for EAP since I'm buying up front, but would add to cost for FSD in the future.

I'm in NJ as well and I'm thinking in our situation it would be more cost effective, as to zero taxes, to include the EAP in the original purchase. I believe if you were to add it later you would be subject to sales tax since you've already purchased the vehicle. Don't think it would be any different than purchasing items for vehicle after initial purchase i.e.: wheels, tires, etc.

We haven't heard any additional information but as time goes on the more I go "I will just add it later". Will they hit us with a $1000 extra charge for adding it later? Probably. But my round trip 8 mile commute to work with no hwy driving tells me not to get it now. For me it would be a cute gimmicky feature to show off, but not have a ton of practical use. We take a drive from Vegas to LA/San Diego maybe 2 times a year, so sure it would be nice for that. But $5000 nice? I don't think so. And the $9k for long range and $5k for PUP I'm getting already have me going "whoa" lol. I know the poll shows me in the minority but hey almost 1/3 of people not so bad. Makes me feel a lot better hearing the other people that aren't enabling it. Tax and delivery have me right around $54,000, which is definitely more than I thought I would be spending on a car at this point.

I wonder how many would consider dropping EAP if adaptive cruise was standard, as it is on the base Corolla. Or is the thought of going almost-hands-off that alluring? Right now, Tesla is saying, "Yeah, you can have your adaptive cruise, buddy, but it's gonna cost ya." Toyota, Subaru, and many other makers now lump ACC in with other advanced safety features. Elon promised us that the 3 would come standard with all of the safety features--but the nice-to-haves would cost extra. I guess he defines safety features differently than most other makers now do.

I remain absolutely not....hoping the "Yes" voters have bodyshops and hospitals lined up. :eek:

Anyone here have a computer at work or home which has never "crashed"? Yes, people do as well, but computers do so in unpredictable (and unnecessary?) ways after lulling one into a sense of confidence. Consider:

JDPower recently released a study which surprised them. They noted that, for the population as a whole, increasing exposure and experience with a new technology usually raises the comfort level and interest. For the first time, they are finding that the more the general population learns about autonomous vehicles, the less trusting we are all becoming. Notice this graph is only what we in research call "top box"....those choosing "Definitely" at one end of the scale...the "hard core" rejecters. With the "Probably" answers added, the columns are likely much taller. Also, noteworthy is that the generation following the Millenials, the confidence is also dropping. Some other research at my work has shown Gen Z to be much more like Boomers in automotive attitudes than similar to Millenials.

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 10.18.09 AM.png