Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy Enhanced Autopilot on your 3 at purchase?

Will you buy Enhanced Autopilot at the time of purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there was a recent thread about the full driving, I thought I'd poll and see how many of you enthusiast will purchase EAP? I've been going back and forth between purchasing and not purchasing (due to financial reasons), but I think my plan is to skip the LR and get the premium and EAP package.

Will you be purchasing EAP?

Pass. I've managed to live with a manual car through LA traffic and LA -> Portland in one day. Road fatigue does not exist for me. I don't see the value of the $5000 cost - I'll either put that into upgrades or pocket it.

Since there was a recent thread about the full driving, I thought I'd poll and see how many of you enthusiast will purchase EAP? I've been going back and forth between purchasing and not purchasing (due to financial reasons), but I think my plan is to skip the LR and get the premium and EAP package.

Same package I'm getting, plus paint, and 18" wheels to save money. I would get AWD but not worth missing tax credit

If the hardware is built-in from the get-go, will you be able to activate it down the road for a fee? Being forced into the premium package puts the total cost out-of-range for me. I'm interested in it, but I'd be more willing to pony up for it up front if I were able to enjoy its full benefits immediately.

I've gone back and forth and I'm still not sure of what I'll do. I may purchase it with the car so that it is included in my loan rather than an outright expense later down the road. At the same time though, I don't know that it's worth it for me. I voted no.

I too am struggling mightily with the EAP decision.
Mainly because, in my case along with many others, I'm having to add it on top of the PUP and LR.

I've already blown the budget so now I'm sort of just giving in to all my wants vs. needs.
I answered yes...But it's still more of a hope.

If the hardware is built-in from the get-go, will you be able to activate it down the road for a fee? Being forced into the premium package puts the total cost out-of-range for me. I'm interested in it, but I'd be more willing to pony up for it up front if I were able to enjoy its full benefits immediately.

You'd be able to add it later for $1000 more than if you buy it with the car.

Personally I'm getting it at purchase- it's the primary reason I'm buying a Tesla at this point- 90% of my commute time is highway and the car largely handling the driving for that is pretty huge. If not for that feature, and at the price level a well optioned M3 costs, I'd probably have stuck with an ICE car for one more generation of vehicles.

Will park itself. Nuff said

Not worth spending an extra $5000 on a car that is already getting up there in the price sheet. I could afford a well-optioned Model S/X, but choose not to. Most I've ever spent on a car was a used Scion FR-S for $20,000. As someone who obsesses over personal finance, hearing about people stretching their budgets to breaking point to afford an S/X makes me cringe. Those people should have stuck with their Prius.

I will not purchase EAP.
Trying to keep cost down and the Long Range battery and AWD are essential for the driving I do in upstate NY and road trips down to Washington, DC.

I was "all in" with Enhanced Autopilot when it was priced $2500 for V1. But at $5000 for V2 I'm a lot more hesitant and at that price point decided I can live with out it. Unfortunately it appears they have bundled adaptive cruise control in with Enhanced Autopilot and I really wanted that feature on my next car purchase. When I saw the FSB pole I became curious where others stand on Enhanced and how many have decided to go with or without.

No, I won't.

Another No here. Watching some AP2 videos - it feels like not trustworthy - and drivers had to be on high alert (and thus increased tension & fatigue). So, its probably only a geek/fun thing - not yet a real utility.

Another aspect is the tax aspect. May be better to buy later, unknown right now.

I'm not even sure about PUP - only the glass roof seems to be useful to me.

So, I might literally buy the $35k Model 3 (may be +1k for color). Something many on the interwebs argue won't be available for a long time - so would be proving them wrong ;)

I also won't buy at the time for purchasing the car. For me there are two reasons. The full price tag for the car including options will be taxed with 21% VAT tax for me. So the SW upgrades that I buy with the car will just boost the tax on the car. There is a fair chance that credit card purchase unlocking the capability won't be taxed the same way, buying from the Czech Republic. So If I pay 1000USD penalty later while saving 1000USD on the tax, net net it would be the same.

Secondly, I find the 5000USD price as way too high. And including adaptive cruise control in the 5000USD upgrade is a joke. Tesla is asking a ransom for a basic feature you would expect from a car at this price range, or just be optional at about 1000-1500USD. Not allowing this option to be purchased separately and providing dumb cruise control only is like putting the customers into the corner saying pay 5k or you get nothing. Time will tell whether this is a good approach, but for me I would buy EAP at max 3000USD. PUP is a better investment.