Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you regret buying MS too soon if immensely better model comes out soon?

Will you regret buying your Model S/X if better models come out soon?

• Yes..

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • No, because I thought it through when making my decision

Votes: 61 50.0%
  • No, because I am sure early adapters will have upgrade options

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • No, for other reasons (Comment below please)

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • Nonsense, it ain't gonna happen any time soon

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am waiting for 4 month already, and it really sucks. Especially while reading happy stories from Tesla owners... and Tesla moments... and "oh, it's so good, I will get two"...

But, maybe, just maybe, today is The Day.
PS: I'm waiting for new autopilot hardware...

The question I have answered lately is "What would have been better, waiting around X years for something that will be better or having something that causes me unbridled joy now?" And if I want that new thing I just have to click a button in my browser and open my wallet so no big deal. Gosh, what an easy thing to do!

I say that everyone who answered any form of "no" are lying to themselves (including me). How can you not have any regrets if they come out with something better after you buy? If we are being truly honest, we have to answer "yes". But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have bought it when you did. I missed out on autopilot but I had a great year with the car that I wouldn't have had if I waited to buy, and I'll never get that year back. Life's far too short to dwell on regrets...

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

I say that everyone who answered any form of "no" are lying to themselves (including me). How can you not have any regrets if they come out with something better after you buy?
Why would you regret someone else getting a new product? Does it stop you from getting what you ordered for the price you agreed to?

I honestly don't get this mind set.
Don't order something if it isn't what you want, for the price you want to pay.
If something better comes along later, it doesn't change what you got in the slightest.

The only way I'll regret my purchase, is if it arrives and it isn't what I expect it to be, and Tesla doesn't make that right. Beyond that, nothing someone else gets afterwards will make me feel any worse about what I got.

Why would you regret someone else getting a new product? Does it stop you from getting what you ordered for the price you agreed to?

I honestly don't get this mind set.
Don't order something if it isn't what you want, for the price you want to pay.
If something better comes along later, it doesn't change what you got in the slightest.

The only way I'll regret my purchase, is if it arrives and it isn't what I expect it to be, and Tesla doesn't make that right. Beyond that, nothing someone else gets afterwards will make me feel any worse about what I got.

What? Regrets have nothing to do with others. They have to do with ourselves. You are confusing "regret" with "envy".

I never envy someone else getting something better. I am happy for them. But I may regret me not having it, if I missed out on it.

I guess you have never bought anything and something better comes along shortly after you bought it that you regret not getting. Buying a lot of electronics and gadgets in my life, I have had my fair share of regrets. But I chalk it all up to being a part of life. I'd quote 'ol blue eyes again but I think others here get my point even if you don't.

What? Regrets have nothing to do with others. They have to do with ourselves. You are confusing "regret" with "envy".

I never envy someone else getting something better. I am happy for them. But I may regret me not having it, if I missed out on it.

I guess you have never bought anything and something better comes along shortly after you bought it that you regret not getting. Buying a lot of electronics and gadgets in my life, I have had my fair share of regrets. But I chalk it all up to being a part of life. I'd quote 'ol blue eyes again but I think others here get my point even if you don't.
No, honestly I just don't understand. I've bought lots of gadgets where the better model was available almost immediately after I bought, I never regretted my purchases for that reason (a few I've regretted because they weren't as good as I thought they were, but that's a different issue entirely)

I contend that it's the people here confusing envy with regret. You should not regret your purchase just because you envy someone else.

I ask myself, knowing what I knew at the time, would I have made the same decision again? If the answer is yes, no regrets, if the answer is no, then there's some regret.
By definition, the newer model that is announced after I bought is not something I ever knew about before I bought, so it can never factor in to whether I regret something.

I do however find it a little condescending to be told that I'm lying when I say I wouldn't (or haven't) regretted something, or that I would regret it if I just understood the question.

I contend that it's the people here confusing envy with regret. You should not regret your purchase just because you envy someone else.

Nice try but I never said that. If you read my posts, I was one of the few people who just missed out on auto-pilot that was telling people who also did that they got exactly what they paid for and should be happy with their purchase, as I was. I never envied those who had it. I am very happy for them. But to say I don't regret not having it would be lying to myself. That's not to say I would have done anything differently at all. I likely wouldn't have waited. I had the car with the last summer of all my kids together (the oldest is now moved out and going to university) and we had a blast with the car that summer. I'll never get that summer back. That's not to say I don't regret missing autopilot. They are not mutually exclusive.

If you bought new, and just after your car rolled off the assembly line, the next car had autopilot hardware, for no additional fee, I don't think you could honestly say that you would have no regrets at all in missing out on it. Regret simply means: "feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over (something that has happened or been done, especially a loss or missed opportunity)." It does not mean envy!

I believe every human in that circumstance would have at least a tinge of regret in getting the last car made without autopilot hardware. The next person never even knew he was getting it. Good for him! I wish him all the best. That doesn't mean I can't have sympathy for the person who missed out and must feel regret. That's just basic human nature. Fine if you say you rise above that, and perhaps you can. That would make you a very exceptional person, or perhaps not since it's likely that feelings such as regret serve a purpose? I don't really know. All I know is that if I got the car that just missed it (and mine was not that close) and someone said to me "you should have absolutely no regrets since you got what you paid for" I would say that is a completely different issue and you are not being honest with yourself, or you lack empathy, or at least sympathy, and I don't see that as a good thing to be lacking.

No, honestly I just don't understand. I've bought lots of gadgets where the better model was available almost immediately after I bought, I never regretted my purchases for that reason (a few I've regretted because they weren't as good as I thought they were, but that's a different issue entirely)

I ask myself, knowing what I knew at the time, would I have made the same decision again? If the answer is yes, no regrets, if the answer is no, then there's some regret.
By definition, the newer model that is announced after I bought is not something I ever knew about before I bought, so it can never factor in to whether I regret something.

I do however find it a little condescending to be told that I'm lying when I say I wouldn't (or haven't) regretted something, or that I would regret it if I just understood the question.

Yea, you seem to have a different definition of regret. New information absolutely CAN cause regret. In fact it's a common cause of regret.

Tesla under-delivering on what I purchased would cause me to be disappointed, not necessarily regretful. Similarly, just because I regret a purchase doesn't mean I'm disappointed with it.

I voted No, for other reasons. I've already had 2.5 years and plan to keep the car for a long time. What's to regret? It's the best car I've ever owned and even if it has gotten better, I was driving it way before a lot of people. Technology always changes, you buy it when you do and take your chances on "the next big thing." Either way, I got my moneys worth and then some the way I see it.

Yes, I would regret the purchase if I *just* missed out on something big (like the P90DL coming out during the production of my P85D). But that's also part of why I lease - because I'll get the new hotness three years from now.

For me, it isn't about "getting what I paid for." That is a legit perspective, which I see and respect. However, my perspective is that I wanted the best/coolest version available. I was sort of hoping that expereince would last more than 3 weeks. And during that time I was also painfully aware that had the timing been just a little different I could have reconfigured my order during production. Because I totally would have. The half-price Ludicrous upgrade kind of makes up for it but not entirely.

My Signature Model S doesn't have parking sensors, Autopilot, AWD, folding mirrors, Ludicrous Mode, a black headliner, NextGen seats, 90kWh, etc. Would I like those things? Absolutely; I would order them if I was getting a new one. Would I give up the past 3 years of driving it in order to wait for them? Absolutely *&%! not. None of the new features have made it worth upgrading, especially since there are downsides to doing so for several of them. By having a Sig, we have some nice features like perforated leather, chrome guards on the frunk and trunk lips, cupholder cinchers, and that beautiful Sig red color. AWD drive cars have a much smaller frunk, and we use ours a lot. My wife actually far prefers the old seats.

My Roadster is missing all of the above plus seating for 5 additional, almost all of the cargo capacity, Supercharger access, the 17" screen, a decent ride, quietness, etc. Do I like those things in the Model S? You bet! Do I wish I had waited until the Model S to buy my first Tesla? Absolutely *&%! not. Even now, the Roadster is still more fun to drive than a P85D even though the P85D is faster and has all of the advantages listed.

No regrets on my P85. Just a few months after I got it the P85+ was introduced, and I kind of wished I could have got the sportier suspension, but the P85 is still the best car I've ever owned, and I've never really wanted to replace it, even though the new Model S cars being built now are overall much better cars (but missing some things my early car has like cup holder cinchers). My Tesla lust was satisfied with the car, and multiple times every day for the past 2.5 years the car has put a smile on my face. That alone is worth it. Plus, it is better than when I got it through software updates. No complaints, and I feel like I got a nice deal on the car because after I ordered in 2012, the prices were raised and the same config cost about $20-30k more.

No regrets on my P85. Just a few months after I got it the P85+ was introduced, and I kind of wished I could have got the sportier suspension, but the P85 is still the best car I've ever owned, and I've never really wanted to replace it, even though the new Model S cars being built now are overall much better cars (but missing some things my early car has like cup holder cinchers). My Tesla lust was satisfied with the car, and multiple times every day for the past 2.5 years the car has put a smile on my face. That alone is worth it. Plus, it is better than when I got it through software updates. No complaints, and I feel like I got a nice deal on the car because after I ordered in 2012, the prices were raised and the same config cost about $20-30k more.

I would regret if I was waiting for some key features, gave up and bought, and then those features came out shortly thereafter.

For me, the key features are (in order of value to me):

Around View Cameras
Ventilated Seats
Significantly improved AP Hardware with AP features that require them

Everything else I cared about except AP itself has been delivered, and I'm convinced AP is imminent (and will be delivered as a software update: when anyone gets it, we all will-ish).

I'm sitting on a MS purchase. #2 is likely to come soon with the introduction in the MX. I'm hoping the same is true of #1.

#3 I can probably live without because I suspect AP as currently exists will be good enough for the near future (3-5 years) at which time a new car will be in the offing anyway.

But I'm sitting because I would have deep regret if #1 and #2 came out and I wanted this long only to give up and pull the trigger.

I work hard to manage my regrets on expensive choices. Can't guarantee not having them, but can do the due diligence to try to minimize them.

If the fact that there exists a better model S than what you bought makes you regret buying your current Model S, may I suggest a Model T instead? Get a 1927 model year and you'll be guaranteed to have the latest. ;-)

Tesla is not going to stop innovating just to allow you to have the latest and greatest for years to come. And yes, new things may devalue what you currently have, but you were not selling it soon anyways if nothing new came along, right? Note that this "devaluation" is exaggerated as well, MS60 has been discontinued for a while now and original base price was $70K - $7,500 tax incentive, so $62,500 - those still sells in the very high 50's for base models.