Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise above 50mph - pass door area, is this the issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get a fairly quiet but noticable fluttering sound above about 50mph from passenger door side. Drivers has nothing similar but the build is very similar. I've attached a photo of the area I'm suspicious of:

upload_2019-11-1_13-18-49.png

This piece of rubber-like material is not bonded to the door frames and the black plastic part next to it on the right isn't very solidly fixed either. Are your cars the same? I'm reluctant to do anything (glue) for fear of making things worse. I've also read loose panels in the froot can be a cause but mine all seem properly attached. Welcome any thoughts.

Reactions: beachmiles
I get wind noise above about 50-60 on the driver's side. I think it's coming from the wing mirror. I taped up various bits to see if I could narrow it down. I found if I taped up the gap between the top and bottom of the wing-mirror shell that it got worse! I need to do some more experimentation. I'd suggest that you start by taping up the entire passenger door and then taking tape off a piece at a time to narrow it down.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm still experiencing wind noise, mainly from the drivers side window. I actually had the car in at the SC for this issue and was told they made a couple of adjustments but on the drive home the noise was still there.

I get wind noise above about 50-60 on the driver's side. I think it's coming from the wing mirror. I taped up various bits to see if I could narrow it down. I found if I taped up the gap between the top and bottom of the wing-mirror shell that it got worse! I need to do some more experimentation. I'd suggest that you start by taping up the entire passenger door and then taking tape off a piece at a time to narrow it down.
Think i narrowed it down:

plastic-wrapped-car-philippines.jpg

On a different note :)

I bought the door seal kit and that does make a bit of difference, seems a lot quieter. The only wind noise you hear now is the wing mirrors
Awesome, was just going to seek an update on that from folk. Think I'll give it a go.

Regarding wind noise above 50mph, I would recommend checking the area that caused it for me.

Pop the Frunk, and lift the plastic panel that covers the brake fluid and 12v battery. Now look at the plastic surround under there, and check/push down all the way around. On mine it wasn't clipped in at the top driver's side.

Took Tesla technician to spot and solve, but a simple one at least!

I spent a few hours this evening tracing the source of drivers side wind noise that has worsened with cold weather. Taping the mirrors and triangle did nothing. Then I discovered there was an area of indenting where the glass and seal meet. Upon investigation, I found the seals have little slits that likely allow drainage or are simply a design feature. Where these skits are located, the seals sometimes indent, resulting in wind noise. Using superglue I sealed those slots that were causing depressions in the seals. While wind noise still exists at highway speeds, it has been much reduced at lower speeds.

Attachments

• AA203459-80F8-44D1-AC58-A346C03990BA.jpeg
    AA203459-80F8-44D1-AC58-A346C03990BA.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 6E4E11BF-90CD-4320-8807-F2B02316E21D.jpeg
    6E4E11BF-90CD-4320-8807-F2B02316E21D.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 174
I spent a few hours this evening tracing the source of drivers side wind noise that has worsened with cold weather. Taping the mirrors and triangle did nothing. Then I discovered there was an area of indenting where the glass and seal meet. Upon investigation, I found the seals have little slits that likely allow drainage or are simply a design feature. Where these skits are located, the seals sometimes indent, resulting in wind noise. Using superglue I sealed those slots that were causing depressions in the seals. While wind noise still exists at highway speeds, it has been much reduced at lower speeds.

Those slots are an interesting find. But I’d be doubtful that they solve a wind noise issue by gluing them closed.

Maybe they are to release air as you push the gasket on.

My guess is, if you really hear difference is that you moved the door seal around enough to temporarily close a gap or weak seal with the Window.

Just a wild ass guess.

Well, I have fixed the problem on my car. I looked carefully at the passenger and driver doors around the wing mirror junction to see if there were differences. I discovered that the chrome trim strip on the top of the door is butted up against the wing mirror bracket on the passenger door, but that there is a 2mm gap in the driver's side. This is the area I mean:

20191103_171659.jpg

On the driver's side it's like this:

20191103_164724.jpg

But like this on the passenger side:

20191103_164710.jpg

I stuffed some rubber seal strip into the gap and hey pesto - wind noise gone.

Pdk42 - Both of the trim pieces you referenced had 1/8” gaps on my car. I used some foam backer rod and sealed them. This eliminated the wind noise from the mirror areas. THANK YOU!!!!
Foam backer rod? can you link to what this is please? I checked mine and the 2 sides are even at about 1mm gaps. I don't have a wind noise problem, but improvements are improvements!