Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise seems somewhat obtrusive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize that fast hardware iterations would have this consequence on repairs, but it makes sense to keep parts inventories very low -- and therefore surges of demand (and the Model 3 in 2H18 is nothing if not a surge in repair demand, simply due to total deliveries * expected repair rates) will run into delays in supply chain.

Glad the problem is getting incrementally better, at least!

I brought mine in to the SC and it came back some glue behind the triangle and tape holding it in place. I don’t think they swapped the mirror assembly on mine.

Mine came unglued and looks pretty bad now with the clumps of glue and applique lifted. Hopefully they did a better job with yours. Hoping mine gets replaced soon, but Tesla soon will probably be a few more months if I am lucky.

Mine came unglued and looks pretty bad now with the clumps of glue and applique lifted. Hopefully they did a better job with yours. Hoping mine gets replaced soon, but Tesla soon will probably be a few more months if I am lucky.

Sounds like 3M VHB tape should be a good fix for this. It comes in various thicknesses and is the same stuff used to attach glass to skyscrapers and street signs to posts without screws. In fact, it's used on a lot of automotive trim. Just make sure surfaces are clean before using it. I've been using this stuff for years, great when you don't want to use screws and glue and great for different materials as long as they're not too porous.

Tech came back recently to reinstall a new side mirror+triangle piece to be even more flush than the last install, and thankfully all the problematic/unusual wind noise is now gone.
Thank you for the update. Can you post a picture of it and show how much more flush it is. I have excessive wind noise on the passenger side, and I’m expecting this triangle piece may be the culprit.

I guess it’s hard to gauge from here if what I’m hearing is normal or not. What might be loud or quiet to one person is vice versa to another. All I know is that I drove my Camry for the past 5 years and haven’t had wind noise pop into my head once. With M3, I pretty much consciously notice it at least once every time I drive the car.

Haven’t gotten RPM part delivered yet, but I’m a little discouraged by the reports if it not working for some :(
https://smile.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-R...=1549335173&sr=8-1&keywords=trimlok+epdm&th=1

Would the solid core or tubing be better? Seems tubing would be more easily squished so less likely to cause problems...

I don't know but it looks to be no cheaper than RPM Telsa and with RPM you already have the product cut to the right length without spending a lot of time testing what length is correct and you have the tube joined as well. RPMs product looks to be hollow to me.

To those who had the mirror assembly and triangle piece replaced...did they move over your original mirror cap to the new unit? My mirror has this issue and I suffer from the whistle and wind noise like the window isn't fully sealed. I have PPF on my mirror cap and don't want to have to get that redone.

Thanks!

To those who had the mirror assembly and triangle piece replaced...did they move over your original mirror cap to the new unit? My mirror has this issue and I suffer from the whistle and wind noise like the window isn't fully sealed. I have PPF on my mirror cap and don't want to have to get that redone.

Thanks!

Sorry, no idea what he did or didn’t do specifically. He just showed up in his van to my driveway, told me it’d be a couple hours, and I went inside and watched a movie until he was done :(

Oh that looks perfect :D Definitely ordering that. Hopefully that actually works!

We have installed two kits on two M3P+. Works nicely. There is still considerable tire and road and some wind noise, esp. as speeds build up (consistent with how drag is proportional to speed squared - suggesting that all the wind noise is likely derivative and emerging from the 'work' done by the car to move lots of air out of the way!).

We are dynamatting and undercoating extensively in doors, and other areas to reduce this noise. See Audiophiles in Model 3 thread here.

I don't have pre- testing, but the doors clearly shut with a much more solid 'thunk' and subjectively the car is a good bit quieter at 70 mph after all this work - biggest difference for sure was from the wind noise kit.

Last edited:
Wind noise kit?

We have installed two kits on two M3P+. Works nicely. There is still considerable tire and road and some wind noise, esp. as speeds build up (consistent with how drag is proportional to speed squared - suggesting that all the wind noise is likely derivative and emerging from the 'work' done by the car to move lots of air out of the way!).

We are dynamatting and undercoating extensively in doors, and other areas to reduce this noise. See Audiophiles in Model 3 thread here.

I don't have pre- testing, but the doors clearly shut with a much more solid 'thunk' and subjectively the car is a good bit quieter at 70 mph after all this work - biggest difference for sure was from the wind noise kit.

I think its just bad window design in general that's the cause for the wind noise. My triangle piece seems to be sitting flat and I still have some window noise when travelling at highway speeds. Comparing the M3 window to my old Kia Optima and most cars in general, you can see from the images that the M3 windows are not encased at all like the Kia is. The way the window on the Kia is sealed is much better. The M3 windows just sit out in the open. This seems like a stupid oversight. Just look at how the windows are sealed on any car and you will see the difference. I might try adding some of the door seals like this video suggested to see if it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_195050.jpg
    IMG_20190630_195050.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20190630_195202.jpg
    IMG_20190630_195202.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 68