Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows not working after parked but sat inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I've had a good search to see if others have asked this question but couldn't find anything.
MS100D, 2 months old, 2018.42.2.
Sat in car waiting for someone. Passerby tapped on window at which point the window wouldn't wind down. Had to get out and talk. Never gave it another thought.
A few days later, same thing happened again, maybe sat in car 20 minutes. No windows worked.
Both times the large screen was on, possibly listening to music but not 100% sure.
I'm going to try and recreate this to see if there is a pattern.
Is this a feature of the car?
Is it a new (or old) bug?
Thanks for any help.
Mark

Hi,
I've had a good search to see if others have asked this question but couldn't find anything.
MS100D, 2 months old, 2018.42.2.
Sat in car waiting for someone. Passerby tapped on window at which point the window wouldn't wind down. Had to get out and talk. Never gave it another thought.
A few days later, same thing happened again, maybe sat in car 20 minutes. No windows worked.
Both times the large screen was on, possibly listening to music but not 100% sure.
I'm going to try and recreate this to see if there is a pattern.
Is this a feature of the car?
Is it a new (or old) bug?
Thanks for any help.
Mark

I noticed this too. The car's 12V seems to not go to the window motors after about 10-15 minutes. If you turn the car back on, they will work (or go out and come back in). Frankly I can't remember if this is new or I just noticed it now after getting v9.

Why? What benefit does this feature serve?
If window switch was live all the time, it would enable someone to push a coathanger or other device between window and door seal down to the switch and lower the window so they could access/break in to your car. Pretty much standard to have all accessory devices (radio, windows, lights, etc.) not work/be turned off when the car is turned off and this is exactly how ICE cars work. Had the OP just tapped his brake pedal (turning the car on), the windows would have worked and he could have lowered them.

If window switch was live all the time, it would enable someone to push a coathanger or other device between window and door seal down to the switch and lower the window so they could access/break in to your car. Pretty much standard to have all accessory devices (radio, windows, lights, etc.) not work/be turned off when the car is turned off and this is exactly how ICE cars work. Had the OP just tapped his brake pedal (turning the car on), the windows would have worked and he could have lowered them.

All other car systems can be active but the windows won't work. Brake doesn't always work for Windows.