Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield chips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MS for less than 2 months and already have several marks/chips in the windshield. Either this is bad luck (possible) or is it possible the MS windshield glass is more susceptible to damage.

Anyone else noticed more than expected chips/marks in their windshields?

I have had several small pits and chips with our MS. I have never had close to this many with other vehicles, and I live in Colorado, home of sand and gravel for winter driving. Then a few weeks ago I was pulling out of the airport parking lot and I hear a tinkling and cracking sound. A 18 inch crack started in the lower left-hand corner at 45 degrees and after 6 inches goes vertical. The car was in the heat while I was out of town, which I have read on the TM forum may be a problem leading to cracking.

I visited the Service Center and they determined the crack was a stress fracture and they're replacing the windshield at their cost.

However, I am still a bit worry about the susceptibility of it to continue to pit and chip. I often wonder if the steep angle is a factor.

Has anyone tried putting a protection film on the windshield?

In the first few months I picked up multiple pits or nicks in the windshield - and even a spot large enough to require a repair - though in the last few months, I haven't noticed new problems. Could it be that as the windshield ages - it is less susceptible to this small damage???

My P85 is in the SC now for 12,500 service, and one of the items was possibly replacing the windshield due to problems I'm having with the RFID highway tag (evidently some of the early cars had windshields that didn't have the area right of the rear view mirror clear for the tags). And if I get a replacement windshield and there was a good solution for a protection film for the windshield, would be tempted to get it and try to keep the new windshield clear.

Has anyone tried putting a protection film on the windshield?

I wondered about that myself, then realized that it is probably illegal to put any kind of film on the exterior of the windshield. I've heard of UV-blocking transparent films for the inside of windshields (may also be illegal in some jurisdictions), but have never heard of anything other than things like RainX for the exterior.

I opted for ClearPlex as well, as replacement windshields were hard to come by back in January when I got my car.

It's completely clear, but does create some minute horizontal banding (brianman, do you see the same?). It's taken several rock hits - I won't be able to confirm the condition of the glass underneath until I have it removed/replaced in a few years but I've had no cracking or spidering at the impact points so I think it's doing its job well. Worth the $300-ish something I paid for it.

It does require a little maintenance - you're supposed to apply a liquid wax to it from time to time to keep it slippery, otherwise the windshield wipers will stick and chatter really bad and also risk scratching the film.

That is actually very clever, but my understanding of laws in my jurisdiction is that any kind of coating (inside or out) is not permitted. Of course, a cop would have to see it to stop you for it. Curious to know if other jurisdictions have similar laws.

Yeh it's not legal. I had it on my car before and it didn't last very long before all the scratches came from my wipers. And worst of all is Clearplex's cusotmer service.