Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield chips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
I've had my MS for less than 2 months and already have several marks/chips in the windshield. Either this is bad luck (possible) or is it possible the MS windshield glass is more susceptible to damage.

Anyone else noticed more than expected chips/marks in their windshields?

I got one and never even noticed when it happened. I don't recall ever hearing the telltale crack noise. So I was surprised when I got in the car one morning and spotted it.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
image.jpg

Exact same thing happened to me. I washed the car today and noticed a very small rock chip in the center of my windshield. I don't recall hearing or seeing it happen. In 28 years of driving, that's my first. Chalking it up to bad luck at this point.

I washed the car today and noticed a very small rock chip in the center of my windshield. I don't recall hearing or seeing it happen. In 28 years of driving, that's my first. Chalking it up to bad luck at this point.
Way to see the cloud inside the silver lining.

I think all 4 of my last vehicles have been through pebble and/or rock drama. On the S I had one hit the right rear tail light assembly. That's gonna cost me $250 when I get it replaced. :(

I've had my MS for less than 2 months and already have several marks/chips in the windshield. Either this is bad luck (possible) or is it possible the MS windshield glass is more susceptible to damage.

Anyone else noticed more than expected chips/marks in their windshields?
Took delivery yesterday and found two very small chips in my windshield. Documented with Tesla DS and it will be taken care of.

I have a tiny chip that's barely noticeable. I saw it happen. I was not following the vehicle in front of me even remotely closely. In fact, I'm not sure exactly how it happened.

Not at all unique to my S though. My two previous cars would get them every once in awhile.

I have a tiny chip that's barely noticeable. I saw it happen when a truck came on the opposite direction on a 2 way road....and very small rock hit the windshield.
Looks more fragile than my previous car were i had the same type of rocks hitting the windshield without any damage.

I hope this was a bad luck and not happen again. this car "rocks" too much.

Took my first road trip this week - and had something hit the windshield - and create "star" chip in the windshield (fortunately it's in the middle of the car, very low - so it's not in the line of sight of driver or passenger).

Maybe it's bad luck, but I seem to have more nicks and chips with my Model S over the last 3 months - than I've had with previous cars, over the same roads.

Is the MS glass more fragile (perhaps because it has so much contour)?

Has anyone installed a "windshield" armor that is providing better protection?

After having watched another forum member (yeah, talking to YOU, you know who you are :) ) a large part of yesterday (Earth Day event) wiping fingerprints off his car continuously ... and having his wife ( Hi! ) tell me how many hours per day/week he spends washing/waxing his Model S "far more than any car we've ever owned"... I'm going to put forth the theory that perhaps some of you are spending far more time detailing/inspecting/obsessing over this car than you ever have before. And because of this, perhaps (only perhaps) you're noticing things that you didn't notice before with other cars

I've never had a car windshield be chip-free. Chip happens. :)

Crazy! I had my MS 1 week and noticed one bad chip, and about 7-8 tiny white chips the size of pinheads on the driver side. Thought it was bad luck too but now think maybe not! I had my Mercedes for 12 years and didnt have one. I told my DS and he didnt hear of anybody else. Im thinking maybe the windshield is less durable?!? Very upset to see others now on the forum. The worse part is the tiny pinhead chips are also by the black trim so they stare at you! Can they filled or fixed without replacing windshield?

Crazy! I had my MS 1 week and noticed one bad chip, and about 7-8 tiny white chips the size of pinheads on the driver side. Thought it was bad luck too but now think maybe not! I had my Mercedes for 12 years and didnt have one. I told my DS and he didnt hear of anybody else. Im thinking maybe the windshield is less durable?!? Very upset to see others now on the forum. The worse part is the tiny pinhead chips are also by the black trim so they stare at you! Can they filled or fixed without replacing windshield?

I had the windshield replaced twice in my GTI in 6 years due to this 'pitting' of the windshield. I had thousands of these pits on my windshield after about 2 years, it was painfully obvious with the correct sunlight. It is normal. I have noticed this on many other vehicles.

My personal though is these start to occur with sand (and other small bits of dirt) at around 80+mph impacts on the windows. As my GTI was the first car that regularly got above that speed, and the only car that had this problem. But it might be that I just noticed it first on my GTI and started noticing it on other vehicles.

I picked up a chip on the way in to work this morning. It was the tiniest of pebbles, in fact, I would characterize it as a large grain if sand. It made an ever so slight "tick" as it hit the glass and I've got a pretty nasty 3/4' or so "star" fracture right in my line of sight.

In all my years of driving, this is the worst windshield damage I've ever had. I've had much larger stones hit the glass and the worst I ever saw was minor "pitting".

Is the Model S windshield particular fragile or brittle? I can't imagine that it would be, but I was quite surprised by this amount of damage, and wonder if I'll be screwed next winter when my car takes it's regular pelting of sand/salt on the freeway to work.

Has anyone had any luck with those repairs where they squeeze some sort of compound into the crack? I see booths all over mall parking lots, and some of the more reputable auto glass places offer this service as well.

Has anyone had any luck with those repairs where they squeeze some sort of compound into the crack? I see booths all over mall parking lots, and some of the more reputable auto glass places offer this service as well.

Small (up to the size of a quarter) chip repair is actually pretty simple and is 100% covered by many car insurance companies. Deductibles are even waved, so it's completely free.

I've used it several times on other cars. The key is to do it soon after getting the chip. Once it starts to spread it cannot be fixed...

Small (up to the size of a quarter) chip repair is actually pretty simple and is 100% covered by many car insurance companies. Deductibles are even waved, so it's completely free.

I've used it several times on other cars. The key is to do it soon after getting the chip. Once it starts to spread it cannot be fixed...

Took it in to an auto glass place over the lunch hour and had that done. There is still a very small mark (looks like a tiny drop of water) but the radiating cracks are all but invisible. Hope it holds up.

My insurance would cover it, but I just paid out of pocket. I already have one "ding" on my policy for a small comprehensive-covered repair on my wife's car. This repair showed up on my last renewal notice almost like warning... do it again and your rates go up. The cost of my premiums going up would likely be a lot more than the $75 I paid for this.

I think chips and pits in windshields are mostly random. If that pebble hits with just the right edge in just the right place you have a crack. Otherwise you only end up with a little tiny pit.

I've taken two sizeable pebble hits, and two big plastic/rubber debris hits on my windshield. And no problems at all.

I just replaced my MS windshield.....for the second time. First was a stress crack (TSLA paid), the second time I had to pay...$1500. Expensive. A rock (presumably) hit my windshield and caused a crack 18 inches long. I don't know if the MS glass is easier to crack or if I just had bad luck, but I have been driving on this road for 15 years and have never gotten a crack in my windshield. At $1,500 a pop to replace, I hope it doesn't happen again.