Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield sunshade or just cabin overheat protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is having a windshield sunshade really needed if cabin overheat protection is enabled? I've seen a few videos stating that shades in general don't reduce the cabin temperature but rather the temperature of the interior surfaces (dashboard, steering wheel, gear selector, etc.).

Your feedback is appreciated.

The windshield sunshade helps tremendously here in Arizona. I have the Tesla roof and hatch screens installed as well. They also made a very noticeable difference in how quickly the car heats up (slower) and cools down (faster).

I went the ceramic tint route on all windows including the windshield, made a huge difference for me. I'm in Indiana so can't speak to heat and sun from say AZ, but using both or all 3 wouldn't hurt anything lol.

I'm in Georgia and I went the same route. After noticing the significant difference between previous car with tint to the S with no tint and then with ceramic tint, I had the same shop do the windshield.

Reactions: BigCity
I'm in Georgia and I went the same route. After noticing the significant difference between previous car with tint to the S with no tint and then with ceramic tint, I had the same shop do the windshield.

Yep, I had always had tint, but never had tried the ceramic. Figured with a more expensive car and stories about weak AC in the S (not really IMO) before I bought that I might as well splurge. I was absolutely shocked at the difference, I will never ever own a vehicle that does not have ceramic tint all around on all windows. Best investment I ever made on my S, hands down.

Reactions: mburnet6
Adding film (clear or tinted) to the roof will absorb more UV and make it hotter, but I would rather have that than faded interior or sunburned scalp.

Metallic coatings will interfere with radio signals such as your cell phone.

Last edited:
We recently traded in our 2012 S P85, spending all of its time in Texas - and didn't see any need to use a windshield shade or add extra film to the windshield or windows.

With the overheat protection and ability to pre-cool using the smartphone app, we didn't see any need for the extra protection.

And after 5.5 years of ownership and almost 100K miles the interior still looked fantastic, with considerably little visible deterioration of the dash, trim or leather seats.

i've used the sunshade to keep myself cool and private while napping in my car during a supercharger spot. You're right cabin overheat will keep the car at 105 but the sunshade will reduce the amount of power the car needs to maintain that temp