Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper issue in auto mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Did you happen to put rain-x on your windshield? It looks like your windshield is hydrophobic. I did and had similar results to what you’re experiencing. It took a LOT of scrubbing to get it off. I tried isopropyl alcohol, magic erasers, clay bars and rain-x “extreme clean”. The latter two were most effective.

I had the exact same issue. I simply cleaned the wiper blades with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth and it completely solved the issue for me.

Just put in your wipers into service mode, grab a MF cloth and some isopropyl alcohol, and you should be good to go.

Did you happen to put rain-x on your windshield? It looks like your windshield is hydrophobic. I did and had similar results to what you’re experiencing. It took a LOT of scrubbing to get it off. I tried isopropyl alcohol, magic erasers, clay bars and rain-x “extreme clean”. The latter two were most effective.
Yes, my windows were treated with Ceramic Pro Rain coating but that irrelevant. If watch the video, using manual mode at any speed the wipers work smoothly. Only auto mode causes a problem. That means that the coating is NOT a problem.

I had the exact same issue. I simply cleaned the wiper blades with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth and it completely solved the issue for me.

Just put in your wipers into service mode, grab a MF cloth and some isopropyl alcohol, and you should be good to go.
Wipers smooth in manual mode, jerky in auto mode... it’s not the blades. It like the auto mode is sending signals (to wipe, increase/decrease speed, etc.) during a wipe causing the behaviour.

Wipers smooth in manual mode, jerky in auto mode... it’s not the blades. It like the auto mode is sending signals (to wipe, increase/decrease speed, etc.) during a wipe causing the behaviour.

Yeah, I had the same issue. I think auto mode uses less power or something, so anything that causes too much friction causes stutter? I don't know. All I know is, after I thoroughly cleaned the blades, the stutter immediately disappeared.