Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield wipers come on when I go into Cruise Control.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying the wipers didn't work at all even in manual mode? We all know the "auto" feature is crap at the moment. It's supposedly getting fixed with some new neural net Musk keeps talking about. As far as Autopilot goes, I find the new FSD far superior to standard Autopilot on the highway. All the phantom braking and most of the other weirdness near entrance ramps seems fixed.
Well that's the thing! The first time it happened I thought maybe it was an auto mode I wasn't 100% sure but I just went out this afternoon and on the way to my destination same thing happened and I definitely was just in manual mode. I mean it kind of freaks me out because I pulled up the manual controls and it was highlighted on the number three because the rain was pretty steady. And nothing was happening at all. So I just pressed a couple different speeds and it came back on but I could only mess around with it cuz I was on a quiet back road. If this happens on a highway in New Jersey I'm screwed possibly. It just makes me mad not to be able to trust my car and they don't have an opening at my closest dealership till the end of the month. I just never heard of anything like this happening

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Well that's the thing! The first time it happened I thought maybe it was an auto mode I wasn't 100% sure but I just went out this afternoon and on the way to my destination same thing happened and I definitely was just in manual mode. I mean it kind of freaks me out because I pulled up the manual controls and it was highlighted on the number three because the rain was pretty steady. And nothing was happening at all. So I just pressed a couple different speeds and it came back on but I could only mess around with it cuz I was on a quiet back road. If this happens on a highway in New Jersey I'm screwed possibly. It just makes me mad not to be able to trust my car and they don't have an opening at my closest dealership till the end of the month. I just never heard of anything like this happening
When you press the button for single swipe nothing happens either?

When you press the button for single swipe nothing happens either?
Well I didn't think that quick in the moment. I guess what I'm really frustrated with is I shouldn't have to be thinking quickly on rainy roads. I just want the freaking wipers to work. It should be simple and intuitive because they're needed as essential safety equipment when you're driving in poor conditions. Also I really needed more than a single swipe in the heavy rain. It was really kind of an oh *sugar* moment, and it's happened now twice in the last 2 days. We haven't had that much rain lately and I don't drive everyday so I don't really know how long this has been going on. Like everybody else I've been avoiding using autopilot because it's such a piece of junk at this point but really sometimes I use it because that's why I bought the car in the first place so I wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
It was probably said before but Autopilot systematically sets the wipers to auto as soon as you activate it. You can immediately reset them to another mode if you want. You will need to do this every time. Maybe that's what caught you off guard? Once you know, it's easy (albeit annoying) to adjust wipers right after.
Yes at first I thought it was just the autopilot glitch but yesterday I intentionally went out just driving normally with the wipers on manual...and it happened again. I put in a trouble ticket but the first opening for my closest service center which is 45 minutes from me is at the end of the month. I just think this should be a basic function that is easy to access and does not require me looking at the screen to fix whatever's going wrong while I'm traveling down the road at 50 miles an hour or greater

Well I didn't think that quick in the moment. I guess what I'm really frustrated with is I shouldn't have to be thinking quickly on rainy roads. I just want the freaking wipers to work. It should be simple and intuitive because they're needed as essential safety equipment when you're driving in poor conditions. Also I really needed more than a single swipe in the heavy rain. It was really kind of an oh *sugar* moment, and it's happened now twice in the last 2 days. We haven't had that much rain lately and I don't drive everyday so I don't really know how long this has been going on. Like everybody else I've been avoiding using autopilot because it's such a piece of junk at this point but really sometimes I use it because that's why I bought the car in the first place so I wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this
I guess single swipe is second nature to me, since I prefer minimal wipes and having to do a single swipe isn't a big deal to me. Testing the single swipe will at least eliminate that it's an issue with the wiper motor vs control logic.

But I also use the auto mode (never manual) so I guess perhaps I'm not using it the same way.

I guess single swipe is second nature to me, since I prefer minimal wipes and having to do a single swipe isn't a big deal to me. Testing the single swipe will at least eliminate that it's an issue with the wiper motor vs control logic.

But I also use the auto mode (never manual) so I guess perhaps I'm not using it the same way.
Well since it's a random issue that comes and goes, I assumed it wasn't the motor itself, but more of the programming

You can enter a service ticket but I believe it will get closed with a response in the likes of : we're working on the auto wipers functionality, we know it's got issues. It will be fixed in a future software update.

What's random is the auto mode functionality, the "Deep rain AI" or whatever they called it. Sometimes they work great and sometimes they either wipe at the sun on a dry windshield or get slow intermittent when it's pouring hard. Forcing them to AUTO when you use autopilot is not random at all.

You can rejoice that you CAN set them back to manual. A few software releases back we were stuck on auto as soon as we used autopilot.

You can enter a service ticket but I believe it will get closed with a response in the likes of : we're working on the auto wipers functionality, we know it's got issues. It will be fixed in a future software update.

What's random is the auto mode functionality, the "Deep rain AI" or whatever they called it. Sometimes they work great and sometimes they either wipe at the sun on a dry windshield or get slow intermittent when it's pouring hard. Forcing them to AUTO when you use autopilot is not random at all.

You can rejoice that you CAN set them back to manual. A few software releases back we were stuck on auto as soon as we used autopilot.
Well I prefer they close it before I take a day out of my life to go down to the service center and then at the end of the day get told the same thing with no change. Yes it's laughable when the wipers come on on a completely dry day but I'm not laughing when I need the wipers in heavy rain and they just give up the ghost randomly, even on manual. Yes I remember the auto wipers on autopilot. Another reason not to use autopilot. It's like they're trying to get us to stop using anything remotely like the main reasons I bought a Tesla, so that I would have less to worry about in terms of paying attention to the road and operating the car. I naively thought it would help me as I get older, drive better. But it's just adding stress and dangerous conditions. Really thinking of going back to an ice car, but right now it's too much trouble. I mean this is a brand new car it shouldn't be having these problems I somehow again naively thought these issues would have been worked out by now since Tesla is not a new baby company

The "even on manual" is the weird part here. When you enable autopilot, it doesn't matter if you had the wipers on manual, they are going to auto automatically :) . If after that you change them back to manual and they still don't wipe, you have a serious problem that needs resolving ASAP. If on the other hand you expect the wipers to stay on manual when activating autopilot, they won't. If you could confirm that by driving on a safe road that would help.

The "even on manual" is the weird part here. When you enable autopilot, it doesn't matter if you had the wipers on manual, they are going to auto automatically :) . If after that you change them back to manual and they still don't wipe, you have a serious problem that needs resolving ASAP. If on the other hand you expect the wipers to stay on manual when activating autopilot, they won't. If you could confirm that by driving on a safe road that would help.
No I am not expecting wipers to stay on manual when activating autopilot. I took autopilot completely out of the picture. The problem is that it happens incoherently it is not simply not working. It works sometimes and then randomly apparently it just stops working. I haven't been out in the rain that much this year so I don't know even how long it's been going on since it does work let's say 80% of the time. Yes I agree it's a serious problem that needs resolving as soon as possible, however I'm not getting that kind of response from my service ticket