Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers won’t turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No rain, fog, sleet, snow, or precipitation of any kind and my wipers continue to frantically swipe back and forth and in autopilot you cannot change the setting from automatic to off. Disengage from autopilot and you can turn off. Anyone have this problem and/or know a solution?

Anyone have this problem

Yes, there are a few existing threads like this one:

Upvote 0
Yes, there are a few existing threads like this one:

thank you for helping. I read through the issues folks are having and it all seems pretty random. Did check the housing and it it condensation and spit free from a naked eye. Seems to point more toward a software issue. I just updated to 2022.40.4.1 but it’s raining today go figure. I’ll let ya know.

Upvote 0
No rain, fog, sleet, snow, or precipitation of any kind and my wipers continue to frantically swipe back and forth and in autopilot you cannot change the setting from automatic to off. Disengage from autopilot and you can turn off. Anyone have this problem and/or know a solution?
I recently had this problem in my new Model Y - as you may have learned it turns out it's a feature not a bug. Tesla decided that wipers must be on in autopilot mode. Even if they are smearing the heck out of your windshield and making it hard to see ahead,

Upvote 0
Had this happen to my new Y yesterday while I had cruise control on. Wipers in Auto and constanly running. Had to turn cruise control off to get wipers out of Auto. This is a bad system. Tesla should update this to be able to turn off wipers under any condition.
Per the post just before yours, they’re real easy to turn off with your voice or *gasp* manually.

Upvote 0
Per the post just before yours, they’re real easy to turn off with your voice or *gasp* manually.
I tried that. Nothing would get the wipers off while cruise control was on. I could not get the Auto function off while in cruise. I remember even getting a warning that wipers will not disengage from auto. manual says. "NOTE: Autopilot requires wipers to be set to Auto. This setting is automatic and you cannot change it." Manual Page 64. I wish that worked Krugerrand' I will clean windshield in front of cameras now.. see if that fixes this issue. Tesla needs to address this.

Last edited:
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Upvote 0
Yes… I’ve had the same problem several times on my model Y. If it might be OK to have auto on when speed control is on if the auto functions intelligently and stopped running when the windshield was dry… But it doesn’t! Tesla needs to address this issue and at least provide The option for turning it off when speed control is engaged.

Upvote 0
I've got a 2020 Model Y with FSD. This has been a frequent chronic problem since the beginning. OCD Dry Wiping seems to have a few causes. Any droplets or dirt, or bug drops over the windshield cameras will trigger it. Direct sunlight in front of the car seems to be another trigger. (Does the computer interpret sun glare as a smudge?) All of this assumes the sensor for the wipers is one of those three cameras above the rear view mirror. (Is that in fact the case?) Carefully cleaning this area may solve the problem. My most recent bout of this nonsense it didn't. I know one of my side cameras had condensation inside the housing one time. Maybe something like this is happening. It really is annoying and distracting (so it's a safety issue). Another trigger is when I spritz the windshield and turn on the wipers. Reading this list seems to indicate Tesla has no solution. The solution would be to allow us to turn off the wiper even in cruise and FSD modes. (Yesterday I tried to turn off FSD, turn off the wipers and then go back to FSD. Of course this didn't work, but turning off FSD then squinting at the gray on gray (moronic) graphics to find the wiper control, I went over the line, the car freaked out.... (Seriously, would any of us drive with another person who acts like FSD often reacts?)

Upvote 0