Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that the car would have to use the battery pack because of the way the circuitry for the accessories is wired. I don't think any of those systems have direct access to grid power. If that is true then the issue would be how often the car replenishes the pack. Another post (which I can't now locate) indicates that with the current update V4.1 (.29 or31?), the car recharges every 24 hours or so.
I hope more of the early adopters have a chance to see what happens with their MS. One possible approach is to hookup a Kill-A-Watt to a 120v UMC and see what it does.

Experience Driving in First Snow Fall

We just had a decent sized snow fall in the Waterdown, Ontario area here. I was driving home from Toronto with my family and being on top of the escarpment we learned a few things about the Model S tonight that are worthy of feedback:

• Wiper Performance in Snow - Left a lot to be desired as there were areas the wipers couldn't clear off as the snow fell. We had to go for rounds with the front defroster on to melt it or use the windshield washer to clear it off from time to time but even then large streaks were left on the windshield
  • Windshield Washer Spray Pattern - only appears to get about half way up the windshield and the stock stuff doesn't appear to be winter ready.
  • Regenerative Breaking on Unploughed Hills - need to remember to turn regen to low because I was trying to get up and it would kick in causing me to lose forward motion a bit
  • Sport Steering - need to remember to turn steering to sport to avoid over-correcting on steering

It was different driving a RWD for the first time. It made for a few slippery moments but I chalk some of that up to lack of experience driving RWD. The wiper and washer spray performance need to be addressed though - no where near what I expected on this type of car. I'm not even sure if there are aftermarket wipers that would have made the situation better at this point either.

We just had a decent sized snow fall in the Waterdown, Ontario area here. I was driving home from Toronto with my family and being on top of the escarpment we learned a few things about the Model S tonight that are worthy of feedback:

• Wiper Performance in Snow - Left a lot to be desired as there were areas the wipers couldn't clear off as the snow fell. We had to go for rounds with the front defroster on to melt it or use the windshield washer to clear it off from time to time but even then large streaks were left on the windshield
  • Windshield Washer Spray Pattern - only appears to get about half way up the windshield and the stock stuff doesn't appear to be winter ready.
  • Regenerative Breaking on Unploughed Hills - need to remember to turn regen to low because I was trying to get up and it would kick in causing me to lose forward motion a bit
  • Sport Steering - need to remember to turn steering to sport to avoid over-correcting on steering

It was different driving a RWD for the first time. It made for a few slippery moments but I chalk some of that up to lack of experience driving RWD. The wiper and washer spray performance need to be addressed though - no where near what I expected on this type of car. I'm not even sure if there are aftermarket wipers that would have made the situation better at this point either.

Why would regen kick in while you were trying to go up a hill?

Everything I've heard about the wipers is that they push down with more force than most common cars. It surprises me (but not doubting you) that they would have trouble pushing snow if that was the case. If the wipers are long then maybe the force is high but the pounds per inch of length is low?

Thanks for the info colinb, this is useful and with winter coming in, all the more important...

What tires do you have ?

Was it windy ? Maybe that's why the wiper fluid only went up half way ?

What was your Wh/km energy usage during the drive with the cold and heating / defrosters on ?

Why would regen kick in while you were trying to go up a hill?

Not sure - I felt a drop on power and had to continue to apply the accelerator to maintain the level of power needed to keep a steady pace going up the hill (and not ending up sliding back like other cars). Luckily my wife was there reminding me to keep the power up. :)

Everything I've heard about the wipers is that they push down with more force than most common cars. It surprises me (but not doubting you) that they would have trouble pushing snow if that was the case. If the wipers are long then maybe the force is high but the pounds per inch of length is low?

All I know is that the Reflex blades from Canadian Tire did a better job on my Civic than the stock ones on the Model S tonight. Will keep monitoring this through the winter.

What tires do you have ?

I have the 19" Pirelli winter set that Tesla offers.

Was it windy ? Maybe that's why the wiper fluid only went up half way ?

Certainly not the wind - it has always been limpy performance. I will bring this up next week when I'm in the area of the Toronto Service Center.

What was your Wh/km energy usage during the drive with the cold and heating / defrosters on ?

The drive today was about 65km and on the highway I was running between 30-60km/h. You can see in the last 50km where I took the Dundas hill that starts at Dundas and Brant Street (for the locals that know the area). :)

WP_20121226_002.png

I had a similar drive from Mississauga to rural Burlington. I would agree that the wipers aren't suitable for winter driving. As Doug noted previously it is a real challenge to keep the front and side windows from fogging up. Glad I had my son to play around with the settings for me, it would have been brutal on my own driving on unplowed roads and trying to experiment with the settings. One shortcoming is the lack of specific side window defrosters which most other cars have today.
One other major issue, we're all used to our ICE cars where you get in, turn on the defrosters and seat heaters, then get out to scrape the windows and snow off the car. Tonight when I did this I wasn't sure what to do. When you get in the car and then back out doesn't it shut everything back off again? Am I missing something here? I ended up sitting in the car or a bit to make sure it defrosted etc.

I had a similar drive from Mississauga to rural Burlington. I would agree that the wipers aren't suitable for winter driving. As Doug noted previously it is a real challenge to keep the front and side windows from fogging up. Glad I had my son to play around with the settings for me, it would have been brutal on my own driving on unplowed roads and trying to experiment with the settings. One shortcoming is the lack of specific side window defrosters which most other cars have today.
One other major issue, we're all used to our ICE cars where you get in, turn on the defrosters and seat heaters, then get out to scrape the windows and snow off the car. Tonight when I did this I wasn't sure what to do. When you get in the car and then back out doesn't it shut everything back off again? Am I missing something here? I ended up sitting in the car or a bit to make sure it defrosted etc.

For the fogging, I read on the forums that this product helps. Try it out.

For the "seat sensor". I think your right...as soon as you close your door, it will shut off...so I think a work around is to leave your door slightly open..that should keep the defrosters and seat heater working while you scrape away...but this is not the best solution.

We should shortly have the remote control app for this. For now, just leave one door slightly ajar, i.e. only close it to the first "click". Then the heat will stay on.

We should shortly have the remote control app for this. For now, just leave one door slightly ajar, i.e. only close it to the first "click". Then the heat will stay on.
Thanks Doug and Zas, good idea.
I don't these products will overcome a poorly designed winter defrosting system.
We need to get Elon to drive in these conditions then I bet we'd get a quick resolution.

The vast majority of washer jets can be aimed. the jet is usually a ball in socket set up. Use a heavy needle, place it in the hole and apply a little pressure to rotate in the direction you want the jet to point. Lots of videos on YouTube.

The vast majority of washer jets can be aimed. the jet is usually a ball in socket set up. Use a heavy needle, place it in the hole and apply a little pressure to rotate in the direction you want the jet to point. Lots of videos on YouTube.

I noticed the washer jets are on the underside of the hood (frunk) lid. Perhaps they can only be aimed so high before the spray would hit the metal lip???

Southern Quebec and Ontario are getting 15-35 cm of snow today, without the weird temperature fluctuations we experienced before Xmas. In effect, our first "real" snowstorm of the season.

If any owners are slogging through it today please share your thoughts!

I will go drive in the snowstorm this pm for additional testing. Already went thru one snowstorm with Model S. So far, the car is doing okay in the snow but not amazingly well. We're far from any comparison to AWD. I really miss driving my AWD in the snow. Spinning wheels is something I did not encounter in my last 10 years of driving Audi's Quatro. A friend of mine has ordered a Model S and I will have to test climbing his driveway (he lives at the top of a ski station) as I'm not sure this will work for him. (He currently has an AWD Toyota Highlander). He may have to wait for an AWD Model S or X.

So far, my high level evaluation of Model S in the snow is similar to a normal traction car but way off any AWD car. Not counting fogging and heating issues....

Toronto got dumped with about 10cm ( 4" ) of snow overnight.. and I got to do the "driveway test" - which is when the snow piles up at the end of your driveway due to the street snow plowing, sometimes preventing you from getting out of your driveway. Below is my driveway, today wasnt "so bad".. but good enough for a test .. ( the first set of tracks are my wife's Q7 coming out from her garage )

Capture.JPG

Well the Model S performed very well - came out smooth and i could steer the car in the thick snow without a problem, and it had no issue plowing through the snow ridge - see below and after images

Capture1.JPG

In terms of winter driving, the car performed well, traction control only came on at some really 'messy' side roads, like below and even then the car drove well.. I was pleasantly surprised.

Capture3.JPG

I was using about 420 Wh/km ( 675Wh/mi ) for a 15 km ( 9 mi ) drive in -5C ( 23F ) temperature.

I didnt get a chance to check out the wipers / spray pattern - as there was no snow falling.. but the forums definitely show an issue with those two.

But overall i was pleased with my first winter drive in the Model S. ( note i have Pirelli's on my car )

Last edited:
I will go drive in the snowstorm this pm for additional testing. Already went thru one snowstorm with Model S. So far, the car is doing okay in the snow but not amazingly well. We're far from any comparison to AWD. I really miss driving my AWD in the snow. Spinning wheels is something I did not encounter in my last 10 years of driving Audi's Quatro. A friend of mine has ordered a Model S and I will have to test climbing his driveway (he lives at the top of a ski station) as I'm not sure this will work for him. (He currently has an AWD Toyota Highlander). He may have to wait for an AWD Model S or X.

So far, my high level evaluation of Model S in the snow is similar to a normal traction car but way off any AWD car. Not counting fogging and heating issues....

Thanks Pat,

I'd be curious to know how it does on a good hill as well, I work at the top of Pine and Peel in Montreal, people ALWAYS get stuck climbing during snowstorms...

Here's my experience (already posted in another thread):

... Already went thru one snowstorm with Model S. So far, the car is doing okay in the snow but not amazingly well. We're far from any comparison to AWD. I really miss driving my AWD in the snow. Spinning wheels is something I did not encounter in my last 10 years of driving Audi's Quatro. A friend of mine has ordered a Model S and I will have to test climbing his driveway (he lives at the top of a ski station) as I'm not sure this will work for him. (He currently has an AWD Toyota Highlander). He may have to wait for an AWD Model S or X.