Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the 5 min 25 second mark of this video he is charging up at the supercharger and the Lights on the side of the rear tail light seem to be flashing green. Is this a feature of European cars or somehow because he is at a supercharger because my car does not flash like that when charging. Only the ring around the charge cable port flashes.

that's because the EU version's socket is enlarged compared to the US version for the 3p charging. They do not have room for the lighted ring so they moved the user feedback to the lights you see there.

I made a youtube video of some of the testing I did. It isn't that great, and a notification interrupted the video recording for a moment. Also I did actually verify that the hill is a 12.2% grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
First real snow since I've got the car 2 weeks ago. My previous car was an AWD BMW 335i and it was awesome in the snow, I remember saying that I would never get anything else than AWD. But then came another family member (3rd kids) and the Bimmer had to go. We've decided to get a MS for various reasons and I really enjoy it :) We've got great winter tires (Hakka's R2) and the handling is great, even the regular regen in city driving is fun! I must admit that I would like snow on the road all year round if I could, so driving in slippery conditions is what I prefer, I must be crazy... I am probably... Anyway... Who cares...

The traction control is awesome, you can basically floor the pedal in any conditions and everything stays in control. Given its a city driving speed, on highway speed then caution is advised anyway...

One thing I miss from the BMW is the 3 steps traction control disable:

Regular: Traction and stability control active (normal behavior)
1 press: Dynamic traction control activated, allow wheel spin, drifting, much fun BUT if vehicle direction not equal steering wheel (driver) then stability control kicks in and restore.
2 press: ALL OFF, you're on you own, snowy parking lot mode ;)

It would be great to have some kind of equivalent, I suspect dynamic traction control mode would be very useful for city driving in deep snow. I was almost always activating it while starting the car before when it was slippery.

Small details. On the SubZero package I wish the heated windshield (in the wiper area) would stay on longer. Then it has been said before but the parking sensor are annoying to say the least. Fortunately it can be made perfect in software and the hardware doesn't need to change which is great with OTA updates.

Hope we get a snowy winter this year :D

IMG_2458.JPG

I'll add to the praise for the traction control. I grew up in Duluth, MN so I've done my share of winter driving in all kinds of conditions, all in FWD cars, and I was pretty amazed by the sense of control that I got in my MS60 in the first half-way decent snow we had over the weekend. Still have the all seasons on, and will most likely stay that way for this winter, and I was very impressed with how the car performed in what I would consider pretty "normal" winter driving. In deeper snow that would challenge the ground clearance I can see issues, and I will definitely be getting snow tires for next season, as in my experience All-season get much worse in the snow once they have more miles on them, but I am pleasantly surprised with how well the car handled. This was THE BIG question I had about the car before buying so I'm very happy.

We got 2" of snow yesterday and then less than a tenth of freezing rain in top. This left our driveway with 1" of dense snow with a film of ice on top. It was hard to walk on.

Our driveway is flat then you have to turn 90 deg and go up a 20' long 8-10% grade to get into the garage. Because if the snow the F350 is on the other side of the garage which give me 1' on each side of the MS when I pull it in. So I can't go into the garage with speed.

I couldn't get back in the garage this am the back started to slide sideways and since the front wheels were in the garage I didn't want to chance the back sliding sideways and hitting the side of the garage. So I backed out to straighten out and make a run into the garage. I couldn't even get the nose into the garage after two more tries.

So I thought I would experiment. I got 1 measured cup of rock salt and lightly sprinkled it the entire 20' in the left tire track only and put about 1/4 of it right in front of the left rear tire. Got in the car and amazingly I walked the car right into the garage with out even making a run for it. A 4000lb rwd car from a dead stop up hill into the garage on a sheet of ice with only a dusting of rock salt for one tire only! The bimmers would have needed 3x that much salt in both tire tracks.

I sat for a few seconds in the garage, shook my head, and then the tesla grin appeared.

Edit: oh yes, I still have the all seasons on the Model S, the bimmers had blizarks.

I think discretion was the better part of valor this morning. 0.1" of ice from freezing rain; everything was a skating rink. While the main roads were salted and I probably would have been fine, my side street hadn't been treated and there's a 12% downhill grade.

Looks like a few inches of snow tomorrow so that will be the test.

We got 2" of snow yesterday and then less than a tenth of freezing rain in top. This left our driveway with 1" of dense snow with a film of ice on top. It was hard to walk on.

Our driveway is flat then you have to turn 90 deg and go up a 20' long 8-10% grade to get into the garage. Because if the snow the F350 is on the other side of the garage which give me 1' on each side of the MS when I pull it in. So I can't go into the garage with speed.

I couldn't get back in the garage this am the back started to slide sideways and since the front wheels were in the garage I didn't want to chance the back sliding sideways and hitting the side of the garage. So I backed out to straighten out and make a run into the garage. I couldn't even get the nose into the garage after two more tries.

So I thought I would experiment. I got 1 measured cup of rock salt and lightly sprinkled it the entire 20' in the left tire track only and put about 1/4 of it right in front of the left rear tire. Got in the car and amazingly I walked the car right into the garage with out even making a run for it. A 4000lb rwd car from a dead stop up hill into the garage on a sheet of ice with only a dusting of rock salt for one tire only! The bimmers would have needed 3x that much salt in both tire tracks.

I sat for a few seconds in the garage, shook my head, and then the tesla grin appeared.

Edit: oh yes, I still have the all seasons on the Model S, the bimmers had blizarks.

Yes, slipping and sliding too yesterday on the Primacy MXM4s. Caused me to drop another grand on Hakka R2s. Now for the snow and ice to justify it....

My local tire shop told me that Blizzaks are made by Nokian for Bridgestone. I have not confirmed that independently, but thought it was interesting.

I see no evidence for this statement on the Bridgestone website for Blizzaks, and in fact looking at the pictures on the site for the popular Blizzak models, I can see they are stamped with "Made in Japan" or a DOT Code of EH, which is a Japanese plant. Nokians are all made in Scandinavia, so I doubt this statement is true. I'll have to ask the guy where he got this information. He seemed to be knowledgeable about Nokians, immediately said they were the best snow tire in the world, and is even a distributor for them.

I see no evidence for this statement on the Bridgestone website for Blizzaks, and in fact looking at the pictures on the site for the popular Blizzak models, I can see they are stamped with "Made in Japan" or a DOT Code of EH, which is a Japanese plant. Nokians are all made in Scandinavia, so I doubt this statement is true. I'll have to ask the guy where he got this information. He seemed to be knowledgeable about Nokians, immediately said they were the best snow tire in the world, and is even a distributor for them.

Yep, I wanted the Hakka R2s but was told after ordering that the factory is out and the wait is a month or more.

Sounds good. I have my Rial Luganos on order from Tirerack and they are supposed to be shipped out this week so was thinking of changing my tires from Xice to Blizzacks. That's why I was asking. My P85 is at the Stereo Shop getting BEL -STi-R and Quad Laser Interceptor installed. Also getting Blackvue dual dashcams and Curb Alert System installed. Will post separate thread on that. Thanks

I installed X-Ice Xi3 winter tires this season, and I'm glad I did. Great traction in the snow and slush, some degradation of handling on dry pavement. LRR rating means that if the temperature is above 45 F. or so my energy consumption seems about the same as it is with the Goodyear all-seasons.

Blizzak LM60 (the lighter weight rated version) all 'made in Japan', including a replacement tire received last week which likely might not be much newer than the others. LM60 now discontinued in favor of the heavier sidewall version LM32 but they still were able to obtain a matching LM60 for my replacement. Bridgestone likely makes all their tires themselves.

Bjorn's video: Those aero rims really stayed clean in all the ice & snow. Would appear to be the easiest rim ever to keep free of mud & dust year 'round. Want me a set!!
--