Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe somebody can help with my question. Live in Norway and on Sunday set pre warm on using the Win8 phone application was up at the cottage and it was about -5C Used the phone application to set temperature to 28C. After 20 minutes inside temperature wasn't even above cool. This afternoon in Oslo with outside temperature about -2C used the android application and set to High. After 20 minutes opened the car again no real warmth had been generated. Heater control is not set to Range. Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? Both times car has been plugged in and no auto timer for charging has been set.

Maybe somebody can help with my question. Live in Norway and on Sunday set pre warm on using the Win8 phone application was up at the cottage and it was about -5C Used the phone application to set temperature to 28C. After 20 minutes inside temperature wasn't even above cool. This afternoon in Oslo with outside temperature about -2C used the android application and set to High. After 20 minutes opened the car again no real warmth had been generated. Heater control is not set to Range. Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? Both times car has been plugged in and no auto timer for charging has been set.

Is the heater working at all? A few people have reported on the forum that their heating system was not functional. I'd try calling the Service Center.

Heater is working fine once I start driving the car all appears to work normally. Will give Tesla a call in the morning.

Not to overstate the obvious but; when you got to the car after the 20 minutes did the center screen show the heater as ON? Was it running? You can hear it from outside the car. -5C isn't incredibly cold but maybe the whole 20 minutes was spent heating the pack?

Model S is a fantastic winter car. :) Driving around in some light snow last night and this morning, between the TC and DSC you can just keep you foot to the floor and the car uses whatever available traction it has for acceleration. And it's not jerky with overaccelerating and then braking like TC on an ICE. It's instantly responsive. Pretty fantastic.

I put my Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's on yesterday, I gotta say it's the only winter tire I've ever put on a car that feels as good as what it replaced.

Love my Model S, winter makes it even more fun.

Model S is a fantastic winter car. :) Driving around in some light snow last night and this morning, between the TC and DSC you can just keep you foot to the floor and the car uses whatever available traction it has for acceleration. And it's not jerky with overaccelerating and then braking like TC on an ICE. It's instantly responsive. Pretty fantastic.

I put my Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's on yesterday, I gotta say it's the only winter tire I've ever put on a car that feels as good as what it replaced.

Love my Model S, winter makes it even more fun.

I have to agree. I have found that the Nokian Hakka R2 tires (or "tyres" as Nokian calls them) are as good as the summers I replaced, but then I only had the Goodyear 19's and not the 21's.

Outstanding video!! Really helped understand how my car will work in the winter. The whole "lose of range in the winter" thing is real now. Not sure I'll be this calm if I ever get this low on range. Seeing the traction control pull up that hill was also very good. I assume he has dedicated snows of good quality. I'd be very surprised if this was on the all weather Goodyears we get in the states but I thought I read that there was a shortage of snow tires for Teslas over there.

Thanks for posting this!

Agreed, excellent video!

He is certainly braver than me. I wouldn't accept anything less than a full range charge, if at all possible. At least for my first winter trip.

You can sure hear the roar of those studs. He's probably glad he had them though, since the weather went to sh*t there at the end! :scared:

Well, I just made my first commute in real winter weather. Around my home we had thick ice covered by 2 inches of snow. I must say I'm very happy with my Model S performance. I was able to get up my steep hill no problem. I also went to a parking lot next to my house and tried to do donuts, no go with TC on, TC off and I spun all over the place. Several of my neighbors pulled out of their garages and got stuck in the middle of the road and couldn't move (I believe they were running all seasons though). My car has 19" Blizzak LM-60s on it.

Last edited:

At the 5 min 25 second mark of this video he is charging up at the supercharger and the Lights on the side of the rear tail light seem to be flashing green. Is this a feature of European cars or somehow because he is at a supercharger because my car does not flash like that when charging. Only the ring around the charge cable port flashes.

Last edited by a moderator: