Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah with the hill we live on, mine won't see the light of day with any hint of frost, snow or ice. Most likely settle for the all-seasons. Though I'd really like to have the 21's, just not as practical. Mine will be a daily commuter, rain or shine... here in Oregon, emphasis on rain.

Well if you're getting the performance package (and thus the 21s) anyway, I would give the tires a chance before you blow a bunch of money on the 19s. They might surprise you. I've been running max performance tires on my Audi TT for about 8 years now and they do just fine in the rain as long as I don't thrash it around. The only thing that I won't drive it in is cold/icy/snowy weather.

Anyway, I'll be doing the same (DD in Oregon, live on a hill, etc) and this ^^^ is my plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you really need studded tires like cottonwood, you should get something else. Studs are bad for people and roads. People get silicosis and road wear quickly.

I purchased the Nokian Hakka R studdless variety outside of Tesla.

^^^ This!

Well if you're getting the performance package (and thus the 21s) anyway, I would give the tires a chance before you blow a bunch of money on the 19s. They might surprise you. I've been running max performance tires on my Audi TT for about 8 years now and they do just fine in the rain as long as I don't thrash it around. The only thing that I won't drive it in is cold/icy/snowy weather.

I too have summer max performance tires on my GTI. They happen to be excellent in the rain. Much better than any of the all season sport tires I used before.

Shameless plug for Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra tires. Cheap, sticky, and great in rain. Too bad they don't have a Model S size, and are hard to find.

News from Europe!

After many Norwegian future owners have contacted Tesla through various channels regarding poor winter tire choices directly from Tesla (Nokian studded or Pirelli Zottozero studless which is a continental type winter tire) I finally today got this response (after e-mailing Jerome Guillen last week):

Dear Mr. Hxxxx,
Thanks very much for your note.

My name is Bryan Batista and I'm the European Sales Director, reporting to Jerome.

We take this type of feedback very seriously. We want you to enjoy your Model S as much as possible, and we recognise that capable tires for the specific weather conditions you face are a very important part of your driving experience.

After hearing your detailed comments and those of many other Norwegians, we will be adding a stud-less, "Nordic type" winter tire to our options line up (in addition to the Pirelli SottoZero and the Nokian studded tires). We have not yet confirmed the tire brand and specifications since we are investigating supply. As soon as we confirm the tire we will announce its specifications and price.

Once again, thank you for raising this valid concern. We will continue to look for opportunities to improve your ownership experience.

Best regards,
Bryan

Tesla do listen to their customers! I'm very pleased. Will report back when we get more info from Tesla about what tire they will choose.

News from Europe!

After many Norwegian future owners have contacted Tesla through various channels regarding poor winter tire choices directly from Tesla (Nokian studded or Pirelli Zottozero studless which is a continental type winter tire) I finally today got this response (after e-mailing Jerome Guillen last week):

Great news. I think I played a little role in this. I sent many videos and feedback last winter to Tesla. I still believe the Pirelli's are not real winter tires for nordic conditions and shouldn't have been sold to people in extreme winter climates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Great news. I think I played a little role in this. I sent many videos and feedback last winter to Tesla. I still believe the Pirelli's are not real winter tires for nordic conditions and shouldn't have been sold to people in extreme winter climates.

You most certainly did. I referred to postings and videos from you in my lengthy e-mail. Thanks! :)

For Winters i think ill get the following, Pirelli winter carving edge with studs, and these 5 spoke wheels, for winter it maybe a good idea to choose a rim that can take a "beating" meaning no thin spokes that can break easily.
pi_wintercedgerf_ci2_l.jpg
se_wx5_bs_ci3_l.jpg

I have a set of the Tesla stock Pirellis as I picked up my car in winter. They now have 20k km on them and the rears are showing wear on the centre line as well as the inside edges. They performed adequately for me, but my next set will be studless Nokians. I would have gone that route to begin with, but they were hard to find in stock and I had to pick up the car.

... but my next set will be studless Nokians. I would have gone that route to begin with, but they were hard to find in stock and I had to pick up the car.

Same here. I'm looking at the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires, and I plan to get them early before they're hard to find. My car came with the 19" rims (which I've already scuffed going through a car wash :cursing:) so I'll mount the winters on them, then look for some decent 19's to re-mount the summers on. I've seen a really nice 19" turbine that looks a lot like the 21's.

I used the Hakka R tires this year. I am happy to hear about the new version. Tesla should choose these tires. I am conflicted as the front tires were barely worn and the rears may not last through another winter. 7500 miles driven quickly.

FYI Tesla now has their own version of 19' turbines. If you like the look it will obviate the need for spacers and such.

Yes, I saw the "Cyclone" wheels on the configuration screen, but they haven't shown up in the Tesla Gear store yet. I wonder how much they'll be to purchase stand-alone. I would want to mount my existing 19" summers on them after I get new winter tires later this year.

so interesting thing on tire rack

i cannot see some wheels when i select "winter tire package"
also the inventory for the wheels under winter tire package are all under 4

if you select wheels you have more options, then after select add tires, then deselct everything but winter tires (summer, all season)

ended up ordering these

(EDIT: the ones i picked are out of stock too or fewer than 4, only wheel left is the ugly bronze one, which would work fine if you got them without tires mounted, stripped them and powder coated them, approx $100 ea to refinish)

547149_10151806661111535_1430737416_n.jpg
556701_10151806661631535_1603871888_n.jpg

What do people recommend for winter tires in the Seattle area? I understand there is some snow (especially if you drive up into Canada of course) but mostly cold/wet weather and some ice. Considering the Pirelli Wintersoto II tires since easiest to get from Tesla but also Nokian R2s or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s. Thanks.

What do people recommend for winter tires in the Seattle area? I understand there is some snow (especially if you drive up into Canada of course) but mostly cold/wet weather and some ice. Considering the Pirelli Wintersoto II tires since easiest to get from Tesla but also Nokian R2s or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s. Thanks.

You can't go wrong with the Hakkapellitta R2s.

I've used the original Nokian WR on my Subaru for the past few years. Yes, I know I've railed against all season tires in other posts but the WR's carry a severe weather rating so are more of a winter tire than most all-seasons. They worked great for the occasional snow we get here in the NW and the few trips I'd make up into the mountains each winter. Of course, this was on an AWD Subaru so I don't know if they would be enough for the larger, heavier RWD S. Yes, I'm aware how good the Tesla traction control is in the winter but as our Canadian friends further East found out last winter, that great TC is clearly not enough for real winter conditions.

As usual YMMV.

I would trust the WRG3 or WRG2 on the S here in Seattle for the winter unless you plan on weekly excursions up into the mountains. If you plan on going to the mountains that much then the Hakkapelitta R2 is probably a better choice. Those and a set of chains because sometimes the DOT makes chains mandatory on all but AWD capable vehicles. Oh yeah, and if the WR comes in the proper size. Will a 255/40R19 fit properly?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Any suggestions for where to get wheels and R2s mounted? I don't think Tire Rack carries them. Local SC said they won't mount on non-Tesla wheels/tires but will swap over for me as part of service package. Any idea if Tesla will offer them this winter?

Any suggestions for where to get wheels and R2s mounted? I don't think Tire Rack carries them. Local SC said they won't mount on non-Tesla wheels/tires but will swap over for me as part of service package. Any idea if Tesla will offer them this winter?

I had asked ownership to offer them in an e-mail months ago but wouldn't count on it. I think service will install them if you buy the rims from Tesla, take the rims to someplace else that will mount the Nokian R2s and them bring them back to Tesla. That's my plan.