Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know about the 7's. Aren't they only studded? Can't use these in Ontario.

... with some exceptions. From the MTO:

Who can use studded tires?

Northern residents living north of and including Parry Sound and Nipissing Districts can now use studded tires on their vehicles.

When can I use my studded tires?

Northern Ontario residents can use studded tires with lightweight studs, anywhere in Ontario, from October 1 to April 30 inclusive. Using illegal studs, driving outside the legal time period, and Southern Ontario residents using studs on their vehicles can result in fines of up to $1,000.

How much does it cost to purchase a studded tire?

On average, a studdable tire could cost anywhere from $90 - $150 per tire or more depending on the make and size of the tire. This is similar to the cost of a winter tire. The price for studding a tire is typically $25 per tire and up.

Where can I get studded tires?

Studded tires are now available and can be ordered by your local tire installer or supplier in Northern Ontario. Follow manufacturers' recommendations for installation, maintenance and operations

What type of studs can I use?

Only lightweight Scandinavian studs can be used in Northern Ontario. The maximum stud weight for each type of vehicle is regulated.

Where can I get more information on the type of studded tires I can use in Northern Ontario?

Detailed information is included in Regulation 625 and is available through E-Laws:Highway Traffic Act - Tire Standards and Specifications

Do out-of-province visitors face fines if they have heavy (steel) studs on their vehicles?

No, as long as they do not stay longer than 30 days. The stud weight regulation does not apply to visitors. Similarly to Northern residents, they can use studded tires, in the legal period, anywhere in Ontario.

Didn't want to go all the way to 19's or to studs, so here's hoping that a good 20" all season will suffice. Last winter I drove fine (Chicago) on the 21s, but decided to be "safer" this year.

20x8.5 Avarus AV8,
255/40R-20 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season, Tire Rack. FYI, Tesla service center policy is they will not install aftermarket equip, so you'll need to get installed elsewhere and then take by SC for TPMS reset. Easiest course is have Tire Rack ship to one of their authorized installers. Don't forget jack mode, make sure they hit the jack points, torque to 130.

Order Total Including Shipping:
$2,598.24

attachment.php?attachmentid=34745&d=1383672901.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=34746&d=1383672920.jpg

Didn't want to go all the way to 19's or to studs, so here's hoping that a good 20" all season will suffice. Last winter I drove fine (Chicago) on the 21s, but decided to be "safer" this year.

20x8.5 Avarus AV8,
255/40R-20 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season, Tire Rack. FYI, Tesla service center policy is they will not install aftermarket equip, so you'll need to get installed elsewhere and then take by SC for TPMS reset. Easiest course is have Tire Rack ship to one of their authorized installers. Don't forget jack mode, make sure they hit the jack points, torque to 130.

Order Total Including Shipping:
$2,598.24

attachment.php?attachmentid=34745&d=1383672901.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=34746&d=1383672920.jpg

I like the look. Good choice. Why did you choose an all-season versus a more snow-specific? I like the 20s, but concerned that by staying a bit on the larger side with the wheels, I need to go safer on the tire. Also, what TPMS did you buy on tirerack?

Had my Nokian Hakka R2s installed last Saturday. I put them on the OEM 19" rims and will look for new summer rims over the winter. So far, they are fairly quiet on the freeway, although there is a slightly "different" sound to them. This is probably something you'd only notice in the Model S being so quiet and all. We've had a touch of snow, so I can't really comment on traction yet. A big factor for me is their "ultra low rolling resistance". It got very cold the day I put them on, but it did warm up a bit and I cannot see any increase in energy consumption that I'd attribute to the tires. For me, this is fantastic. I always saw a 1 or 2 MPG penalty on my ICE cars with winter tires.

So the one person who got the Nokian studded tires, comments? I got my Nokian Hakka 8 delivered yesterday and once the car arrives next week will be installing them. As we've already got a bit of snow I'll probably be able to comment a bit though I won't really have comparisons as the car will not drive on the summer 21" at all ;)

Just a quick note, folks....The Bridgestone Blizzak LM 60 (245/45R19) does not have sufficient load capacity to be safe, so we cannot sell that tire for use on the Model S.

Look to the newer Blizzak LM 32 or Dunlop WinterSport 3D as alternatives........

As always, let me know if you have any questions !

Just a quick note, folks....The Bridgestone Blizzak LM 60 (245/45R19) does not have sufficient load capacity to be safe, so we cannot sell that tire for use on the Model S.

Look to the newer Blizzak LM 32 or Dunlop WinterSport 3D as alternatives........

You just scared me!! I just had Blizzak LM 60's installed yesterday. They were recommended by my local tire shop. Will this be a problem? Is it dangerous?

Does anybody have a feel for what I can expect in terms of the difference in mpg and noise level between the Michelin X-Ice Xi-3 and the Michelin Primacy MXM4?

I'm really torn between them on which to put on for this winter. Both are LRR tires.

I was thinking that the Primacy can be used in summer as well to get some extra range when needed (ordinarily I drive 21" wheels) - can't do that with the Xi-3. But of course the Xi-3 will be better in the snow (not that we have a lot of snow days in Seattle).

Anything else I should consider?

Put my 19's with Pirelli Winter run flats on yesterday. So much quieter than the PZero's, which were to the steel on the rear insides. Now dealing with Ownership on that issue.

Having the snows on give me piece of mind.

IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1143.jpg
IMG_1144.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg
IMG_1146.jpg

Does anybody have a feel for what I can expect in terms of the difference in mpg and noise level between the Michelin X-Ice Xi-3 and the Michelin Primacy MXM4?

They're definitely noisier. I do get a vibration noise around 118 – 120 km/h which disappears above and below that speed. A bit puzzling.

Handling seems as good, though I'm not much of a hard cornering type. The few longer trips I've done were with an unwarmed battery, so I can't really say anything meaningful about energy differences.

They're definitely noisier. I do get a vibration noise around 118 – 120 km/h which disappears above and below that speed. A bit puzzling.

Did you have them balanced with a "force" balancer or just an off the car balance? If just an off the car balance, find a place that uses the "force" balancer and have them rebalanced. Vibrations at a certain speed indicate a tire/wheel/hub balancing problem.

So the one person who got the Nokian studded tires, comments? I got my Nokian Hakka 8 delivered yesterday and once the car arrives next week will be installing them. As we've already got a bit of snow I'll probably be able to comment a bit though I won't really have comparisons as the car will not drive on the summer 21" at all ;)

Mario - I have the Hakka 7s, and they don't disappoint. There's been ice and snow for over a month here, and those Nokian studded tires perform as advertised/reviewed. They're quieter than expected, as well.

Did you have them balanced with a "force" balancer or just an off the car balance? If just an off the car balance, find a place that uses the "force" balancer and have them rebalanced. Vibrations at a certain speed indicate a tire/wheel/hub balancing problem.

I don't know how they were balanced, but will bring this up with the installer. Thanks for the advice!

Doc, you sold me LM-60s with Luganos for my Model S. This has me concerned as well.

Mario - I have the Hakka 7s, and they don't disappoint. There's been ice and snow for over a month here, and those Nokian studded tires perform as advertised/reviewed. They're quieter than expected, as well.

Thanks, car arriving on Tuesday and first stop after registration is tire shop where the car will get new Mak Bimmer Black wheels and Nokian Hakkapellita 8 tires. Will give some comments once I've driven around a bit on those and gotten the first freezing weather as well. Though my comparison will either be with my original Evo X or current temporary Mazda 6. First one was one of the best 4-wheel drives ever and the current one is front wheel drive ;) So got to just look at the MS objectively ;)

Don't get your hopes up too high. While the TC in fantastic on the Tesla, both cars will out preform it you stop on an icy hill or accelerating in the snow.

Thanks, car arriving on Tuesday and first stop after registration is tire shop where the car will get new Mak Bimmer Black wheels and Nokian Hakkapellita 8 tires. Will give some comments once I've driven around a bit on those and gotten the first freezing weather as well. Though my comparison will either be with my original Evo X or current temporary Mazda 6. First one was one of the best 4-wheel drives ever and the current one is front wheel drive ;) So got to just look at the MS objectively ;)