Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone offer a comparison between the Nokia winter tires (Nokian is a genitive in Finnish), i.e. Hakkapeliitta R2s, and the Pirellis with regard to characteristics other than grip and stability on snow/ice/wet/dry roads? Although those are the most important things, I'm also curious how the tires affect range and how they wear (especially on an S85). And do rims other than OEM affect the driving in any way? I'd rather not pay for expensive rims if I don't have to, although in my country, the rim+Pirelli price is on the low side.

I had Hakka's on a previous S500 and they were terrific, probably better than the Pirelli's. With that said, this winter had Pirelli's Winter run flats on the MS and the car was a rock. No significant wear on about 4k miles of travel, most on dry pavement. They were on a set of TSW's, the entire package purchased from Tirerack. I went for the easy route since Tirerack does not have Hakka's and purchased the whole package at once at a reasonable out of pocket price.

No difference in range that I could tell either, but my summers are 21's. They were quieter than the 21's too, but that was because the rears had significant inside wear to the belts.

Probably my ultimate package would be stock 19's, powdered coated black, with Hakka's for winter.

Boy, did I confuse you or what? :smile:

I found a great deal on Nokian R. Are they a huge step down from R2? I know I'm going Nokian, I'm still undecided between 7, 8, R2 or just R (all studless)

The reason it's a great deal is that the R isn't listed any more on the North American website, so it's someone's old stock.

And 245/45R19 is now listed for the WR-g3 (severe service all-season). This is a new size for the WR-g3 this year. If you've never used them, while not quite the same snow performance level as the R2 or X-Ice Xi3, they are as good or better than most other snow tires--and they don't melt when dealing with Texas heat. What they are ideal for is those who wear out a set of tires in a year. You put them on every October.

I know we're at the height of summer and no one wants to think about winter right now, but have any popular winter tires (Nokian Hakka R, Michelin X-Ice, etc) been updated for 2014?

A brief search revealed only the same models as last year. Would any updates even be listed yet (mid July)?

I know we're at the height of summer and no one wants to think about winter right now, but have any popular winter tires (Nokian Hakka R, Michelin X-Ice, etc) been updated for 2014?

A brief search revealed only the same models as last year. Would any updates even be listed yet (mid July)?

The Nokian site now lists 245/45R19 in the WR-g3.

Note that most tire stores have already finished placing their winter tire orders (usually they finish this in June or earlier). So it's already known what will be available.

Never had winter tires, last 15 years driving a 4matic. Is it a bad idea to buy 2 rims for rear that match fronts and use winter tires only on those rims?

Thanks
1) I would not do that, particularly with air suspension. Could wreak havoc on handling
2) I have found all seasons great. Don't feel forced to winters if you don't drive often in bad winter conditions
3) if you do go for winter set, once you are changing 2, changing 2 more is a nit
4) for me, winter tires afford the exciting opportunity of wheel shopping!

Never had winter tires, last 15 years driving a 4matic. Is it a bad idea to buy 2 rims for rear that match fronts and use winter tires only on those rims?

Thanks

Do you have a + and are asking if you can match the wheel side on the front and put on 4 winter tires, then yes, you can. What you don't want to do is just put on 2 winters. This will let you accelerate, but steering and stopping could be an issue.

This is a really bad idea on any car. You really want to be able to steer and stop in winter conditions--not just go. Get four wheels and four winter tires.

Thanks for advise. I live in Brooklyn, NY and the winters year to year are very different. We went years without "real" snow accumulations. The last few years have been a worse. That being said generally the streets are cleared pretty good and driving in it is manageable. It is getting out of a parking spot that can be troublesome. Thats why I was thinking about rears only. No hills or incline/declines to worry about.

Thanks for advise. I live in Brooklyn, NY and the winters year to year are very different. We went years without "real" snow accumulations. The last few years have been a worse. That being said generally the streets are cleared pretty good and driving in it is manageable. It is getting out of a parking spot that can be troublesome. Thats why I was thinking about rears only. No hills or incline/declines to worry about.

If you ordered the 19" wheels, they come with all season tires, which should work year round in brooklyn. If you got the 21s, then you could consider winter set, but given your climate I think actual winter tires are overkill. I use 20" aftermarket all season tires in Il and WI year round.

a heads up that this winter is suppose to be one of the worst in the last 50 years in terms of snow.

The problem is that there will also be dry and wet pavement. If you put on two snow tires one of two things will happen:

A. The car will be so squirrely that you won't be able to drive it. This is most likely to happen if you put on very good snow tires because the best snow tires have very flexible sidewalls, belts, and tread to allow them to conform to the road surface so that you get the most possible traction. This is the best outcome because you'll have to get four to be able to drive the car.

B. The car will feel fairly normal until an emergency situation occurs and then you'll be in for a world of hurt. Some countries don't allow installing only two snow tires.