Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The local distributor they are referring to is likely Kal Tire, which is the only Canadian chain I'm aware of that deals in Nokian (I'm assuming you've tried them already?).

I got mine at Kal, but you have to order early. I went in around August and was prepared to put down a deposit. The Manager told me he would have no problem getting them in late Fall. I went back in early November and they were out of stock. I raised a bit of a stink and he got on the phone and was able to get some shipped for a December delivery. The first major snowstorm of the season literally started while the tires were being installed!

I have had the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on the car for about a month. Based on a variety of winter conditions, I can confirm that they are significantly better on snow and ice than the Pirellis. Today, for example, was very similar conditions to the time when I was stuck in December (-10C and 5" of snow on the ground). I experienced some sliding, and traction control as expected, but the car did not get stuck.

I just put new shoes on with Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Went through icy snow that accumulated to 8 inch ending with 12 inch plow hump
Not even single wheel sleep, just simply rolled out
Nokian sold out, so i had to go with Michelins
Happy though
IMG_2163.jpg
IMG_2162.jpg
IMG_2160.jpg
IMG_2159.jpg

Last edited:
I just put new shoes on with Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Went through icy snow that accumulated to 8 inch ending with 12 inch plow hump
Not even single wheel sleep, just simply rolled out
Nokian sold out, so i had to go with Michelins
Happy though
View attachment 42663
That is my color and the same winter rims (and color) I'm putting on. Great to see what it looks like (mine is probably still a month away). Looking Good!

It looks better in person
Phone picture and angle don't do its justice

Btw, tirerack sent these with 41psi
I know my 21s are 38/40 font-rear, but since these are winter tires and higher profile rubber, should be less than that?
I had 38psi on 20'' rims on audi with blizzaks

Last edited:

I know my 21s are 38/40 font-rear, but since these are winter tires and higher profile rubber, should be less than that?

I'd be running them at 45psi but I'm not the expert here. 41 seems too low for 19s since you have a larger sidewall.

I was pretty sure I saw advice somewhere (maybe even on tirerack) that they should be inflated to 45 psi. I haven't actually had tires mounted on mine yet though.

- - - Updated - - -

I was pretty sure I saw advice somewhere (maybe even on tirerack) that they should be inflated to 45 psi. I haven't actually had tires mounted on mine yet though.

Yeah, if you setup a wheel/tire order from tirerack online, when you look at your cart you will get the following information:
"Important Notes:
Tire must have max inflation greater than 45psi, which is the Tesla recommended inflation for the 19" tires."

Presumably this information is available via Tesla too.

I'd be running them at 45psi but I'm not the expert here. 41 seems too low for 19s since you have a larger sidewall.

It's the volume of air at a certain pressure that carries the load. That is a if both tires have the same volume, then the pressure should be the same. (I don't understand what you mean by having a larger sidewall as sidewall height doesn't mean anything without the other numbers.)

The technical way to find out what pressure to use is to get the static loaded radius from the tire's spec sheet. Load the car up the way you normally drive it. Then measure the the height from the centre of the ground and adjust until the measurement matches the number found in the spec sheet. This gives you a starting pressure that you never want to go below. Then adjust upwards for the driving conditions (speed, temperature, etc.)

Note that you need a smooth level surface to do this correctly.

So, let's get this straight
TM service did 42, tirerack did 41-42
So where 45psi number comes from?

The 45 psi came from the vehicle placard.

Just because the SC or Tirerack set them to some pressure doesn't mean that the tires were set to the optimal pressure.

In Tirerack's case it might just be the pressure they set it to to pop the bead, or it might be that's the vehicle placard pressure for other cars using that tire size.

The first thing to know about driving on ice and snow is that the conditions can change very quickly. Sometimes 15 minutes makes a significant difference.

For winter driving, the majority of the driving isn't done in deep, freshly fallen snow. It's more likely to be on packed snow and ice. Ice is slipperiest when there is a film of water lubricating the ice (often from other drivers spinning their tires). The best way to cope with this is to raise the inflation pressure so that the pressure will help wipe away the water and allow the tires to get a better grip on the ice or packed snow.

When it's really cold out (-15 C or lower) you don't check your tire pressures outdoors because the ice that forms in the valve core will do a nice job of letting all the air out. So you inflate indoors at a much higher temperature. Pressures need to be adjusted to compensate so that they will be the pressure you want them at when they cool to ambient temperature.

In deep fresh snow, lower pressures will help by allowing more tread blocks to grab the snow.

We've had another blast of winter here in Southern Ontario. I dropped my car off for service this afternoon and picked up a loaner S85 equipped similarly to mine except it has the Aero wheels with the Pirelli winter tires. All I can say is how glad I am that I purchased the Nokian Hakka R2s! I got stuck in front of my house and had to turn the TC off and rock the car out. No problems at all with the Nokians on my car in the exact same spot and conditions.

We've had another blast of winter here in Southern Ontario. I dropped my car off for service this afternoon and picked up a loaner S85 equipped similarly to mine except it has the Aero wheels with the Pirelli winter tires. All I can say is how glad I am that I purchased the Nokian Hakka R2s! I got stuck in front of my house and had to turn the TC off and rock the car out. No problems at all with the Nokians on my car in the exact same spot and conditions.

+1 I hate the Pirelli's with a passion!

Didn't have to travel anywhere, but since it's day 2 with the car, I was excited to try it out in the snow. I have Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D tires mounted on the Rial Luganos from - you guessed it - Tire Rack. I waited until the roads were quiet (10pm). Most roads hadn't been re-plowed for hours, so there was quite a bit of snow. I have experience living 4 winters on a RWD BMW 3-Series with the (hated) Pirelli Winter SottoZero's, and up until a couple of weeks ago, they were on my AWD 3-Series. I just had those replaced with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's. I took the AWD BMW out right after the MS and drove the same route to compare.

General impressions? Pretty impressive for a RWD car. The traction control was lighting up when accelerating, but I was moving forward at a good clip. Braking was decent too, with the ABS really only coming on when I slammed the pedal. On one hill, the car slowed down considerably - I almost thought it was going to stop - but it just kept going and made it over the crest. At the *other* end of that crest was a spun sideways RWD Infiniti G35, stuck, being helped by a homeowner who was out shovelling. It took them a few minutes, but they made it out. The MS just went through that stretch like it was nothing. I think the G35 was on all-seasons, although it was hard to know for sure.

My AWD BMW with the Alpin's was able to muster serious forward momentum (of course). No issues anywhere, although that hill did light up the TC a ton (although I had a bunch more forward momentum than I did in the MS). Tires were great; hard to compare them directly to the Dunlop's because the cars are quite different from a weight perspective, but like the Tesla, they didn't engage the ABS unless I tried to.

One last thing which I was worried about, did happen. There was a slight tail wag from the MS as I drove up my driveway. I have a shared drive, with a high concrete wall on one side which is *really* close to whatever car is driving up it on any day (dry, wet, or snowy). I'm worried that with the snow and ice I may hit it someday. The BMW, of course, didn't have that issue, but it's lighter, and AWD, so it was pulling itself up versus pushing.

I'm hoping we don't have too many winters like this in the future. I bought the Dunlop's because usually, the roads are clear in the city (Toronto) and I wanted a performance tire versus a pure winter tire due to driving habits. This winter has been a different than any I can remember. Just brutal.

There was a slight tail wag from the MS as I drove up my driveway.

Today, I'm driving a loaner with the Pirelli winter tires and the freeway I take to work (Hwy 401) was completely packed with snow and ice. I never went above 30 MPH (50 km/h) the whole trip. Cars were spinning out everywhere, and I did have a bit of trouble keeping the car straight. A couple of times, the re-gen braking started to get me going sideways, but I was able to correct before the point of no return!