Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Near as I can tell, the T-Sportlines and the Rials look identical, but the T-Sportlines are more than double the cost ($189 vs $425) So I'm not sure why the T-Sportlines seem to be the more popular of the 2, am I missing something?

I'm leaning more and more towards the Rials, but my wallet doesn't like that plan much.

I also got the Rials, picked them up earlier in the year, I went with the Graphite that accepts the Tesla centre caps, and picked up a black set from Tesla. When I bought them I was under the impression that the Tesla TPMS was not compatible with the Rials, so I went with the FOBO solution, however it is being suggested that 7.0 will allow us to see individual tire pressures. In that case I will regret the FOBO decision, and will likely buy Tesla TPMS next time I need to put new winters on the Rials.

I work for Goodyear and our tire sale is coming up soon, so I will likely go with Dunlop Winter Max, unless it's not much more for Xice3s or Hakka R2s.

Question....I know the R2s are low rolling, so how much difference in range are we talking vs the X ice or normal winter tires? Also, does the fact that they are LRR mean you can expect less tread life than a non LRR tire?

I bought the graphite 19" Rials for winter, and they pretty much match the colour of my dark turbines. They are currently buried in my shed but I can take a picture once they're on or at least until I take them out for winter swapping.
That would be great, especially if you could take a picture of the two side by side to get a feel for how much alike (or different) they actually are!

Near as I can tell, the T-Sportlines and the Rials look identical, but the T-Sportlines are more than double the cost ($189 vs $425) So I'm not sure why the T-Sportlines seem to be the more popular of the 2, am I missing something?

The 19" Rial Luganos look "similar" to the Tesla 21" turbines while the 19" T-Sportlines look "identical". The T-Sportlines also can use the Tesla center cap (although newer Rials can now too) and Tesla lug nuts. The Luganos use a different lug nut.

The 19" Rial Luganos look "similar" to the Tesla 21" turbines while the 19" T-Sportlines look "identical". The T-Sportlines also can use the Tesla center cap (although newer Rials can now too) and Tesla lug nuts. The Luganos use a different lug nut.
Well, I don't know the difference between "similar" and "identical" yet, it certainly doesn't show up in pictures anywhere I've seen. The Rials and T-Sportlines both use the Tesla centre cap, and I don't know why I'd care if the lug nuts are the same or not (as long as they look good) I still can't come up with the justification for the T-Sportlines being DOUBLE the price of the Rials.

Anyway, I bought a set of Rial's today, and some Tesla TPMS sensors (I sure hope tire rack is wrong and those sensors fit, several people on this forum say they do, but tirerack insists they don't!)
Once they arrive next week I'll get Kal Tire to put some R2s on (I hope) and then I'll have 4 wheels and tires that I just need to plop a Model S on top of... (Why does it feel like I might be getting ahead of myself here?)

One other difference is the Rials do not have as much offset out from the hub and therefore the tires sit further into the wheel well..

Compared the the OEM 19in wheels, the offset is off by how much - in both cases? I remember reading that the T-Sportlines were sitting a bit "outside" i.e. Positive offset number was less than OEM.

Edit, searched a bit and found that :

Rials are +32mm offset in the 19x8.5 size.
TST are +35mm offset also in the 19x8.5 size

OEMs are +40mm offset in the 19x8 size.

8in = 203mm. Center = 101.5mm
8.5in = 216mm. Center = 108mm

Since offset is from center, that means that from the hub surface, the outer edge of the wheel will be, for each case :

OEM : 101.5-40 = 61.5mm
Rials : 108-32mm = 76mm (14.5mm wider)
TST : 108-35mm = 73mm (11.5mm wider)

Meaning that the outer edge of the wheel will appear :

Rials : 0.57in wider, on each side
TST : 0.45in wider, on each side

Last edited:
Question....I know the R2s are low rolling, so how much difference in range are we talking vs the X ice or normal winter tires? Also, does the fact that they are LRR mean you can expect less tread life than a non LRR tire?

I have noticed very little difference in range between my X ice3's vs even my stock all season tires over 2 winters. Mind you we don't have the temperature issues you have in Ontario. I even did a 190 mile trip (-5C all highway) last winter and still had 15 miles range left in my lowly 60. Tread wear is minimal as well. Extremely happy with them.

Well, I don't know the difference between "similar" and "identical" yet, it certainly doesn't show up in pictures anywhere I've seen. The Rials and T-Sportlines both use the Tesla centre cap, and I don't know why I'd care if the lug nuts are the same or not (as long as they look good) I still can't come up with the justification for the T-Sportlines being DOUBLE the price of the Rials

When I purchased, the Rials wouldn't accept the Tesla center caps, but newer versions of the rims do. I agree, who cares about the lug nuts. A complete set along with an extension/adapter came with my Rials from Tire Rack anyway.

Here are some pictures:

Tesla 21's:

21_Wheel_Silver_Continental_Tire_copy_1024x1024.jpg

Rials:

rial_lugano_bs_pdpfull.jpg

T-Sportline:

TSportline.jpg

As you can see, the Rials are slightly different, whereas the T-Sportlines look identical to the Tesla 21s, and that is all I meant. I have the Rials and like them a lot.

Wow. I wonder if TSportline actually makes the stock Tesla wheels for them? Sure look similar... except for the detail of 19 vs. 21!

Rials look really good to me though. I'll start looking for a deal on them for the spring I think. Thanks for posting.

I've been very happy with my Rials and like @green1, probably wouldn't have paid that much more for the T-Sportlines myself either (had they been available when I purchased). I don't believe T-Sportline is Tesla's OEM and that they simply came out with this 19" design for those who really like the style of the 21" Tesla rim, but didn't want 21's. And I believe they came out with their design prior to the Tesla 19" Cyclone wheels (which are similar to the 21" Tesla Turbines).

Only thing I have found is the Rials seem a bit on the heavy side, now I haven't found a weight listed for the TSTs but the Rials were 32lbs (or was it 35?) which is similar to the OEM 21s when it should be less.
The one comment I was able to elicit from a Tesla employee regarding aftermarket wheels was something along the lines of "The car is heavy, so the wheels have to be strong - we don't recommend going with aftermarket, but know that many people have done so."

If there was an issue with the Rial's simply breaking, I think we'd have heard about it by now, so I'm going to accept that they're up to the task. As for the actual weight... well, I guess we're stuck to accept it.

Anyone running the primacy all seasons this winter? I know they are not as good but the car is all wheel drive and I've never had issuse with all season tires with all wheel drive on all my benzes in the past.

The car is only recently all wheel drive. I don't put winter tires on but where I am we rarely get snow and when we do I drive my Tahoe Hybrid 4x4 with winter tires. I don't think it's safe to drive any vehicle in snow, awd or not, without winter tires. It's just not worth risking your life or others.

The car is only recently all wheel drive. I don't put winter tires on but where I am we rarely get snow and when we do I drive my Tahoe Hybrid 4x4 with winter tires. I don't think it's safe to drive any vehicle in snow, awd or not, without winter tires. It's just not worth risking your life or others.
I agree with this. I've never considered NOT running winter tires, even if I was living at the coast. As Canuck says, it's just not worth the risk.

Didn't Quebec recently make it mandatory to run winter tires on all vehicles??