Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They usually come out Sept-Halloween. Go to TireRack.com and you can see the rebates available for each manufacturer and even TR themselves.

Most the rebates they had for the big name brands all ended at the end of October, but they looked like they were for summer/all season tires and no winter specific ones...

I've checked TireRack, but I'm curious historically when they usually come out. I can probably wait another two or three weeks to buy if that'll help me out.

I just installed Michelin Xice 3 on my M3 LR with wheels/TMPS from TireRack. Personally...I think the noise on the Xice is much quieter than the stock Michelin All Seasons. They ride smoother as well, but the noise from them is the big difference. No snow since I put them on so far but looking forward to feeling a bit more planted.

I went with these 18” white wheels called “Dimes” from Fast Alloy Wheels in Canada, along with Michelin x-ice
255490CF-EF66-4E20-9155-429E1B87111E.jpeg

I just installed Michelin Xice 3 on my M3 LR with wheels/TMPS from TireRack. Personally...I think the noise on the Xice is much quieter than the stock Michelin All Seasons. They ride smoother as well, but the noise from them is the big difference. No snow since I put them on so far but looking forward to feeling a bit more planted.
Co-sign on this. I just got the X-Ice's and they are way quieter than the stock tires.

Reactions: cbrigante2
Is there a master thread what tire sizes fit on the model 3?
I'm shopping for snow tires and use the stock 18 aeros.
Most snow tire choices arent the stock michellin size. I would like to know what other tire sizes fit.

Just go to Tirerack web site and it will walk you through what fits.
Tirerack has just about every major tire except Nokian's.

There are plenty of choices that will match your current OEM size.

Reactions: cbrigante2
you'll typically find some closeout deals around the Feb/March timeframe for winter tires. it's kind of like trying to buy a winter coat, honestly. inventory has been picked over and there are only a few options left, but if you dig hard and long enough you MIGHT come away with a deal.

It’s actually a pretty solid deal. If you spec everything that’s included as new plus installation costs the savings is almost nothing. HOWEVER, it often takes multiple months to get the tire package from Tesla. I ordered a set of aero wheels and TPMS from Tesla because I was going with something other then the Sottozero... after 7 weeks I gave up and bought some wheels from a member here and cancelled with Tesla. Two weeks later I got a text saying my wheels were finally at the service center *roll eyes*

Has anyone run Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9? I'm curious how loud the studs are compared to other studded tires and also when factoring in the electric car silence. I'm still debating between Sottozero 3, Hakka R3 (no studs) and Hakka 9 (studded). I don't know what the weather is going to be like here, but it's been bitterly cold already (20s) and usually our coldest period is January. We might have a week to 10 days of snow on the ground (and roads not cleared very well) but other then that it's just very very cold and possibly ice (from snow melt and then freeze over night or just from fog freezing on the roadway).

I don't drive a HUGE amount, but this year with the Model 3 I might do a couple road trips over the mountains (RWD SR+) which do get snow and freezing slush. Are studs absolutely horrible at highway speeds on dry payment (150 miles is usually dry, 50 is snow/ice covered)?

Has anyone run Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9? I'm curious how loud the studs are compared to other studded tires and also when factoring in the electric car silence. I'm still debating between Sottozero 3, Hakka R3 (no studs) and Hakka 9 (studded). I don't know what the weather is going to be like here, but it's been bitterly cold already (20s) and usually our coldest period is January. We might have a week to 10 days of snow on the ground (and roads not cleared very well) but other then that it's just very very cold and possibly ice (from snow melt and then freeze over night or just from fog freezing on the roadway).

I don't drive a HUGE amount, but this year with the Model 3 I might do a couple road trips over the mountains (RWD SR+) which do get snow and freezing slush. Are studs absolutely horrible at highway speeds on dry payment (150 miles is usually dry, 50 is snow/ice covered)?

EDIT:
This might help you a little bit Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 test and review of the winter tyre | AllTyreTests.com and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 test and review of the winter tyre | AllTyreTests.com

Installed Michelin X Ice xi3 from Costco. Used their promo last month 150$ off for tire + installation. I find the ride bouncier on X Ice 3 with 41psi all. What PSI you are running ?

I’m running Hakka 9’s in Alaska just put them back on 3 weeks ago. Awesome tire, the only time I notice the stud noise is at low speeds on dry pavement. I’m slightly bias to studded Hakka’s. Also have other vehicles running Hakka 8, 7, and 5. If you aren’t on winter roads most the time I would say get the R3 over the studded 9. But on ice and winter covered roads the Hakka 9 is tough to beat. As for efficiency I don’t notice any increase in Wh/mi over the OEM MxM4 I’m running in the summer.

I’m running Hakka 9’s in Alaska just put them back on 3 weeks ago. Awesome tire, the only time I notice the stud noise is at low speeds on dry pavement. I’m slightly bias to studded Hakka’s. Also have other vehicles running Hakka 8, 7, and 5. If you aren’t on winter roads most the time I would say get the R3 over the studded 9. But on ice and winter covered roads the Hakka 9 is tough to beat. As for efficiency I don’t notice any increase in Wh/mi over the OEM MxM4 I’m running in the summer.

I’m only on snow packed roads or ice probably two or three weeks during the winter... but the Model 3 is my only car so I really want the best ability possible. I guess I’m leaning towards R3. I’m hoping they won’t be too squishy feeling on the heavy Model 3. I kinda wanted the Sottozero 3’s because of that reason, but I want max winter grip and the Sotto’s probably just don’t have it.

I am really finding it confusing that some are reporting a quieter ride on the X-Ice than the stock 18" all seasons, since the first thing I noticed is how much louder the X-Ice tires are, especially when accelerating. They do seem happier now that the temperatures are riding around 0degC.

Although the X-Ices feel squishy under hard acceleration, I drove my M3 SR+ on a twisty country road I visit in the middle of the night to see how they handle typical sportive driving.
The temp was between 0-4 degC, slight snow and greasy roads and the X-Ices really impressed me, the M3 felt almost as capable as it did on the Michelin a/s. I could slightly slide the car with the same confidence and the front end remained planted, even on a wet road.

I cannot wait until we have some packed snow on the road, this car is going to be an absolute blast this winter. Now we just need "winter fun mode" TC for the RWD cars ;)

I’m only on snow packed roads or ice probably two or three weeks during the winter... but the Model 3 is my only car so I really want the best ability possible. I guess I’m leaning towards R3. I’m hoping they won’t be too squishy feeling on the heavy Model 3. I kinda wanted the Sottozero 3’s because of that reason, but I want max winter grip and the Sotto’s probably just don’t have it.
I have a buddy up here running the R3 on his model 3, the only place we think the 9 is better is on solid ice. If I were in your position there is no way I would run studs, studless tires have gotten really good. I’d get the Hakka R3 or WRG4 depending on if you wanted to lean toward better snow/ice or better dry/wet performance. Also if you are considering the sottozero, wouldn’t go down that road I’d stick with Nokian and go the WRG4.

I don’t know anyone up here in Alaska that uses Perilli winter tires.

Last edited: