Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My wife and I have been absolutely loving our Dual Motor M3. A big part of the reason we ended up spring for the Tesla is the handling and safety.

With that in mind, are we crazy if we don't get a set of wheels with winter tires? We live in the Boise area. Most of our driving is across Oregon to visit family in the West side of the state. We don't do any winter sports, although might start soon. Most of the info I find on winter tires is for people who live in snowy climates. We might have a week of a snow a year, maybe 3 drives through a snowy mountain pass per season.

With that driving pattern on a model 3, is the $2k for the wheels and tires a good idea? Would we lose out by having winter tires when it's 45 degrees out and dry, bit not yet time to swap back, or is it really a matter of when it's cold winter tires are good? The model 3 has so much acceleration, and a great traction system that it seems a shame to handicap it by being cheap on the tires

Thanks!

Summer tires are dangerous in the snow, not only because of the lack of traction but most importantly because of the lack of braking power.

For the mountain, I install a set of TST 18' rims and Goodyear Weather ready tires. I have been pretty happy with this setup. Send me a MP if you need more information.

I live in Toronto. For those with RWD do not worry. The car is perfect for city driving with winter tires. Did not come close to being stuck all last winter. It handled everything so well. Unless you to drive up huge elevations, I wouldn't worry. RWD is far superior to FWD in winter with 50/50 weight and stability control.

For real? It will damage the tire? Ive never ever heard this.
My previous car was a G37 Sport, real wheel drive with 20x10.5 wheels on cheap summer tires.. I made out ok in the snow, nothing like AWD, but never thought I was actually damaging tires.
I certainly don't want to damage them.

The warranty does not cover a compound cracking because you're driving at temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. And it is a real risk unfortunately. Not only is the tire warranty voided under those circumstances but the tire is simply deadly in the snow. As in zero traction whatsoever. Don't ever drive PS4s in the winter once the temperature gets down below freezing. You're risking your beautiful new model 3 Performance and your life. If you want a great tire that's very close to the PS4s in performance driving but is a passable snow tire get the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3 plus. It's available in a 235 / 35 - 20, and it's really pretty decent in snow and close to phenomenal everywhere else. If you want to trade off some dry and wet performance for better snow performance you might look at the Michelin Crossclimate.

Last edited:
Nokian Hakkas are amazing. Even better than my previous experience w Blizzaks and Alpine Pilot Sports which I also rexommend. Never tried the crossclimate or X-Ice.

This year I decided to go with the new Continental VikingContact 7's, they were rated in Europe as beating out the Hakkas in deep snow traction, ice braking/handling, and snow braking/handling. Plus they were a lot cheaper ($180/tire), but unfortunately they're backordered until the end of December.

I got my AWD Model 3 last November and stuck with the stock all seasons since they were so new, but I can't wait to put these new VikingContact's on to see how well the AWD really shines with proper winter tires. I expect it to be nothing short of amazing since it was already so good with the all seasons.

Last edited:
I'm debating the Nokian Hakka R3s (I want but wonder if worth investment), Michelin X-Ice, and General Altimax Arctics (cost and might go with all season altimax for next year anyway)

Check out the VikingContact 7's if you want a good winter tire while saving a little money over other options. I chose those over the Hakka's for the reasons stated in my previous reply (click the link to see the tire comparison tests).

Check out the VikingContact 7's if you want a good winter tire while saving a little money over other options. I chose those over the Hakka's for the reasons stated in my previous reply (click the link to see the tire comparison tests).

I snagged the same tires based on what I saw on the euro reviews as well. Luckily they were in stock, so I had them mounted the next day ($200 ea mounted and balanced). I have them on the stock aeros, and I'm patiently waiting for the weather to turn so I can see is they live up to the reviews.

This year I decided to go with the new Continental VikingContact 7's, they were rated in Europe as beating out the Hakkas in deep snow traction, ice braking/handling, and snow braking/handling. Plus they were a lot cheaper ($180/tire), but unfortunately they're backordered until the end of December.

I got my AWD Model 3 last November and stuck with the stock all seasons since they were so new, but I can't wait to put these new VikingContact's on to see how well the AWD really shines with proper winter tires. I expect it to be nothing short of amazing since it was already so good with the all seasons.

Im about to pull the trigger in these also. If similar in price what do you think about the vikingcontact 7 vs the xi3? The michelins are very old and no longer rated top tier. However it does have a better speed rating and it has a 40k warranty. Vikingcontact 7 are top rated in most categories, slightly cheaper but unknown durability.

I decided on Michelin IceX tires for the winter. We actually don't get much snow anymore, but frequently have sleet or freezing rain so I figured the winter tires would be a good idea anyway and it's giving me a great deal of peace of mind, especially after reading what others have said about the stability of the RWD with winter tires. They are getting put on this week!

I decided on Michelin IceX tires for the winter. We actually don't get much snow anymore, but frequently have sleet or freezing rain so I figured the winter tires would be a good idea anyway and it's giving me a great deal of peace of mind, especially after reading what others have said about the stability of the RWD with winter tires. They are getting put on this week!
Same with me. A little nervous since never had xice before, been a Blizzak guy, but we will see how it goes!

I went with IceX also. Last year I stayed with the stock all seasons and had 1 ice/snowstorm that was terrifying. Mostly they're fine but I do a lot of winter driving so this year it's dedicated snows for me. Next spring I'm planning a new set of wheels and summer tires.

Drove around on new Xices over the last few days' snow here in Colorado. We have Blizzaks on our Subaru, and I've run various other winter tires on my Model 3's predecessor, an Acura sedan. I would say the Xices are decent, but the Blizzaks' performance has been much better. I know it's not apples-apples since the cars are different but the Model 3 was a bit squirrely in turns where the Subaru didn't slide at all. Also the Model 3 is pretty new so I'm a lot more sensitive to sliding around (terrified of needing body work or repairs!), but I didn't experience the confidence that I usually do in a vehicle with winter tires.

I will say that on dry pavement the Xice were quieter than the stock 18" Michelins (Primacy I think?) and handled about the same, so very few of the typical negatives associated with winter tires. The Blizzaks noticeably handle worse in drier, warmer weather. At this point I'm considering the Xice to be a "lite" winter tire and I think I'm ok with that. Anybody else with the same experience on the Michelin Xices?

I will say that on dry pavement the Xice were quieter than the stock 18" Michelins (Primacy I think?) and handled about the same, so very few of the typical negatives associated with winter tires. The Blizzaks noticeably handle worse in drier, warmer weather. At this point I'm considering the Xice to be a "lite" winter tire and I think I'm ok with that. Anybody else with the same experience on the Michelin Xices?

I noticed how quiet the X Ice were right away as well. Significantly quieter than the all seasons

Just put on my Blizzak WS80 today and boy they are loud. They were loud on my previous car that I used them (Mazda 3) but I thought that was mostly because Mazda didn't have good sound insulation. There is a lot of thread noise even in the Tesla despite having better sound insulation than Mazda when both are on all season tires.

This should be the last winter that my Blizzaks will be serviceable and I am thinking about Nokian WR G4s for next winter as they perform great on our Lexus. They have good snow/ice performance and on the dry pavement they are pretty much on par with OEM all-season, quiet and low rolling resistance...