Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I’m patiently waiting for the rain-sensing to be enabled on my HW2 MS. I’m spoiled by having that feature on my 17-year-old Porsche. How tough could this be? Didn’t they verify that they could detect rain using the front-mounted cameras before they got rid of the IR rain sensor? Maybe it will start working after the rains stop here in California. Okay, rant over...

My issues are two:

1. The wiper motor/gear/drive mechanism makes a lot more noise than I’m used to…especially on “luxury” car. (Wiper blades are quiet). Is this just poor design or should I have service take a look?

2. On intermittent, if I turn the wipers off during a pause, they jump part way up the windshield and stay there until I either turn them on again or push for a single cycle. Design flaw or defect?

I am having the same experience as you. 2017 S90D. Interestingly our 2014 S85 did not have that jerky behavior. Its surprising that if I twist the wiper stick on or off the wipers will jump up and then down.

I think this is a software issue. I will try to give the S85 a try to see why the wipers are just not as smooth.

I am having the same experience as you. 2017 S90D. Interestingly our 2014 S85 did not have that jerky behavior. Its surprising that if I twist the wiper stick on or off the wipers will jump up and then down.

I think this is a software issue. I will try to give the S85 a try to see why the wipers are just not as smooth.

Yes, the wiper "non-parking" issue can probably be fixed by software; maybe when they implement rain sensing.

Do you also notice the mechanism noise issue on either of your Teslas?

I would say the noise on the 2014 was about the same. Seems to be loudest (servo like whine) at the end of the up swing cycle. They could probably use a better PID tune or something.

I recently was in a new 2017 BMW 540i and their wipers were flawless, silent, and perfectly rain sensing, to the point I was convinced the driver was modulating them.

I hate to say this, but sometimes it's a bunch of little things, like wiper mechanism noise, that sways US buyers away from American-engineered cars.

At least for us in California, we probably won't be using our noisy wipers too often after the current (welcome but unusual) rainy season.

Thanks to the posters for confirming my two issues of concern.

Maybe some Dynamat sound deadening material around the motor drive unit will help.

I have a new, refreshed Model S. On the return stroke (down) of the wipers, the passenger side wiper seems to park itself quite loudly on every sweep, with a loud thump. Ironically, when the wipers do park, they are slightly up and can be seen. Hopefully this is just a software fix.

I have a new, refreshed Model S. On the return stroke (down) of the wipers, the passenger side wiper seems to park itself quite loudly on every sweep, with a loud thump. Ironically, when the wipers do park, they are slightly up and can be seen. Hopefully this is just a software fix.

Since the thump is only on one side, this sounds like it could be a mechanical adjustment issue. I'd suggest having it checked at a service center. The "thump" could be stressing the motor and mechanism and lead to an early failure.

Not just the wipers but check your washer fluid, my car was delivered with no washer fluid and I found out when I tried to clean my windshield the other day... simple PDI stuff that shouldn't get missed, but apprantely did (and not isolated since I saw someone else mention it on here as well)