Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Blade Replacement Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, and the Youtube link-it helped a lot. I was not able to remove the rubber cleanly from both ends. So I was able to squeeze one end of the cap off, but not the other side. I realized maybe more pictures will help future onlookers to show them the job isn't really too hard.

Even though I bought the OEM wiper blades from Tesla for $25 each x 2 ($50 before tax + 4 days shipping time), I still want to keep my old wiper blades for backup. With the Tesla OEM wiper blades, streaking issue no longer exists-simple pop off and replace. I had tried cleaning my windshield, the rubber blades, but it simply needed a replacement after 37K miles in SoCal weather.
Good that you found this useful. On removing the rubber, there is that small notch that retains the rubber will keep it from sliding out, just pull and the rubber will tear and come out. It is not hard to do, but the first time can be slower, take your time. My first one just got a tear from being stuck with ice so I will probably do this again this week. I will try to take more photos

Reactions: Whitebeard
Good that you found this useful. On removing the rubber, there is that small notch that retains the rubber will keep it from sliding out, just pull and the rubber will tear and come out. It is not hard to do, but the first time can be slower, take your time. My first one just got a tear from being stuck with ice so I will probably do this again this week. I will try to take more photos
I still haven’t bought any new rubber replacement for the wipers. Is there such a thing as a premium rubber? Or that “premium” is just a marketing word?

Wiper blade and/or rubber is either rubber or silicone or something in between. They need to be replaced at least every year or less depending on your usage and environment.
As long as you keep your windshield clean, you should have no issue. if your windshield is always dirty and you never clean it, you really should not blame the wipers.

Wiper blade and/or rubber is either rubber or silicone or something in between. They need to be replaced at least every year or less depending on your usage and environment.
As long as you keep your windshield clean, you should have no issue. if your windshield is always dirty and you never clean it, you really should not blame the wipers.
Yes, totally depends on how well you take care of them. With my PIAA Super Silicones, I've had them last up to 5 years, even when parked outside in the PacNW. That was with regularly cleaning the blades and the windshield. However I've never had non silicone blades last longer than a single season. Sometimes only a few months, under the same conditions.

Replaced the refill last night, forgot to mention that if you remove the "bottom" clip, it is easier since that is the clip that has the catch that holds the refill in place. this is the reason to cut the small slot in the refill in my writeup. Took about 10 mins to remove clip, cut slot and put back on car. very easy to do.

Replaced the refill last night, forgot to mention that if you remove the "bottom" clip, it is easier since that is the clip that has the catch that holds the refill in place. this is the reason to cut the small slot in the refill in my writeup. Took about 10 mins to remove clip, cut slot and put back on car. very easy to do.
Once you have played with it and understand how it is done I agree, a simplistic short job. I have the Bosch set on right now and the originals are rebuilt with the silicone refills ready to be swapped out next time it is required which I normally do just before the onset of winter.

You can spend $81 for a pair of Rainx silicone wipers that might not fit the Teslas
Crazy

1689527512004.png

Like the Gen 3 for $475 vs $900 for ChargePoint
Tesla seems reasonable

$54 for a pair of wipers is great
I will just see if I can cut it 80% using generic silicone inserts

Btw, we own husband and wife Vessels, a great buy at $35

No wiper option update yet:
1. Silicone refill blade inserts from Amazon $6
2. Costco Michelin wipers $14 when on sale

We know Teslas wiper replacements are great quality and good value at $54

Unfortunately but good, my original Tesla wipers on the new 2023s are still working perfectly
Reason for the delayed update

Adding my contribution to this thread. Say on Reddit that someone was recommending these refills for the existing wipers. I like that they are OE supplier and more importantly they are silicone. Havent installed them yet, just ordered this morning. I'll be sure to update this post with my experience. Considering these are 4 26" refills.. my guess is they should last for another 4 years.. as I plan to replace them once every-other year going forward.

Update on the wiper blade adapter swap.

I purchased the aeroblade set 3397007088 off Amazon for $30.51

Sure enough the blade and the adapter connection mechanism is identical. I swapped over the 2022 MY wiper blade adapter to the Bosh Aerotwin blade. Below is the process.

Bosch Left vs. Tesla Right

I am also thinking of doing this as well since my wiper blade is beginning to streak since it is almost a year now with the original.

Since you performed the adapter connection swap with Bosch Aerotwin, I am actually curious if an adapter swap is even possible to with the Bosch Icon blade.

After installing the Bosch Aerotwin 3397014621 which were a perfect fit by the way, I kept the original blades and decided to experiment with putting in silicone refills. Was pretty easy to do and ends up costing around $2 per blade. I now have a spare set I can rotate as required and 4 sets of refills left over for future use. Used these inserts in the 70cm style.

For those who are in the US.

wipers on 23 mylr bought in march started squeaking so replaced with these silicone refills. seems to be good wiping on initial testing but will have to see about longevity. at $13 for 10 refills, its much cheaper than buying a full blade set. i used to only use refills but assumed they were gone when retailers stopped carrying them years ago. good to know they are still an option as throwing away a perfectly good blade due to bad insert was such a waste.

I was like you guys when I bought my Ts
Get replacement wipers ready
For my MY it’s been 12 months on the originals and still working great

As usual, Tesla has as original and replacement amazing wipers, no adjustment necessary
They are $50 pair
At even walmart you can spend $60 a pair and not sure they will install correctly

Go Tesla !!