Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Blade Replacement Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Replaced the wiper blades for the first time using Amazon silicone refills. The refills felt a bit greasy and seemed to be infused with graphite or something. This was a single wipe across the rubber with a white towel. Wonder if anyone has noticed this with theirs?

IMG-4053.jpg

These were my notes to myself. Hope they help someone....
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Search amazon for Tesla silicone wiper refills 26"

I used these by RaidBee....

Wiper Blade Refill,4 PCs Adjustable Size of Universal Replacement Windshield Wiper Refill Replacement for Tesla,Toyota,Hyundai,Honda Front & Rear Windshield Wiper Baldes Rubber Strip(26")

Wear gloves when handling refills, they seem to be infused with graphite. Gets hands really dirty. Split the refills at end and tear apart.

Turn on wiper service mode under controls\maintenance and move wiper arms to desired position
Push release button located on top of wiper arm connector, grip blade underneath and slide out towards roof of car.
Service the end of wiper blade that is uppermost when wiper is deployed. This end has a notch in the rubber that holds it in place.
Using flat head screwdriver, gently lift both sides of the clip on end cap. Slightly and gently, else they break.
When the clips are released, use screwdriver to slide the end cap off.
Slide out the rubber wiper blade.
Note that drivers refill is same length as original (26"). Do not cut even if tempted.
For passenger side, hold old rubber blade against new and cut to exact length.
Slide in the refill. Bend the blade back/forth to work it in and get it to correct length.
Note the notch that needs to be cut on refill. Cut with sharp small point wire cutter WHEN REFILL IS INSTALLED.
The above prevents one from cutting into the rubber too deep.
Put end cap back on, push down on clips to secure, reassemble and turn off wiper mode.
Done

Reactions: Daekwan and fsb1
I am sure those will work fine however they are not Silicone. Natural rubber with graphite and this is why they are greasy/black.
IMG_4099.png
So the link for my original order no longer works. Takes me to a wiper blade now. I searched and found what I thought was the same product but you're right, it's rubber. Screenshot of my order page says I got silicone, but who knows. They might have pulled that down cause it's a lie.

guys, here is my problem (great problem) and have been very vocal on this forum about it
Tesla's wipers are amazing and after 15 months, still operating the pairs that came with each vehicle, perfectly on all the Ts we own
as usual when I purchase new vehicles, i stock the house with standby wiper blade refill replacements, which I did and never used
I just returned the 3 pairs, all Michelin's via Costco, not bad for on sale $14 a pair
I did buy way back, 2x 26" silicon blade refills, which also have been waiting but are very cheap and will hold
here is what I purchased, but again cannot vouch for I have not had to install them

guys, here is my problem (great problem) and have been very vocal on this forum about it
Tesla's wipers are amazing and after 15 months, still operating the pairs that came with each vehicle, perfectly on all the Ts we own
as usual when I purchase new vehicles, i stock the house with standby wiper blade refill replacements, which I did and never used
I just returned the 3 pairs, all Michelin's via Costco, not bad for on sale $14 a pair
I did buy way back, 2x 26" silicon blade refills, which also have been waiting but are very cheap and will hold
here is what I purchased, but again cannot vouch for I have not had to install them
Cool. Will try those next time. Thx

The last set of refills were good, more than a year. It got ripped during a freezing spell, turned on the wipers and the center section tore from the base. Simple enough to get a new set on. Still have 8 more pairs left.
interesting, that maybe how the Tesla wipers finally end, at 2 years old??
wiping, but just fail due to age...I am ok with that

good feedback
will be interesting to hear the longest lasting time with the orig Tesla wipers
Im approaching 16 months
I'm guessing that level of tolerance has something to do with it too. I don't hang on too long once I see degradation. My wife would drive with the metal bones scraping the windshield, if I don't check on her car myself.

good feedback
will be interesting to hear the longest lasting time with the orig Tesla wipers
Im approaching 16 months
No point as temperature, sunshine, garaging, humidity, how often they are used and god knows what else will affect longevity. My 1996 Mercedes SL has it's original wiper. That being said, I change blades every year just before winter sets in on my daily drivers regardless of how they perform and treat my windshields with aquapel spring and late fall. Always have a clear view and never a chatter.

To be fair, the Merc has never seen rain, is garaged all summer long in a climate controlled garage when not in used and is stored indoors in a climate controlled area for 6 cold months of the year. ;)

I'm guessing that level of tolerance has something to do with it too. I don't hang on too long once I see degradation. My wife would drive with the metal bones scraping the windshield, if I don't check on her car myself.
understood, mine are still no streaks
No point as temperature, sunshine, garaging, humidity, how often they are used and god knows what else will affect longevity. My 1996 Mercedes SL has it's original wiper. That being said, I change blades every year just before winter sets in on my daily drivers regardless of how they perform and treat my windshields with aquapel spring and late fall. Always have a clear view and never a chatter.

To be fair, the Merc has never seen rain, is garaged all summer long in a climate controlled garage when not in used and is stored indoors in a climate controlled area for 6 cold months of the year. ;)
I use to do the same, but then a pair of wipers became almost $80 and i said ill wait until i start seeing streaks
then i waited, and waited, and waited
again, its crazy how good these Tesla blades are, remember only $50 for the pair
people said the Tesla's are actually Bosch, how much are the Bosch equivalent?

Reactions: laservet
I keep hearing how crazy good they are, but mine were done before a year. I'm old enough to remember when you could go purchase refills for any car in the auto parts store, so $50 for a pair of wiper blades seems like a lot nowadays. When I can get two pairs of refills for 8 bucks, that seems attractive. LOL Even aftermarket blades are ridiculous now. Showing my age. :)