TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wireless CarPlay in iOS 8.3 Beta

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by omarsultan, Feb 9, 2015.

1. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

The new release beta release iOS 8.3 is reported to have wireless support for CarPlay (up to now you have to plug you phone into a cable). I wonder if this gets us any closer to CarPlay support?

O

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Is there something I don't understand about CarPlay? It doesn't seem to give us much more in the way of functionality than we already get with the touchscreen.

3. markb1

markb1 Active Member

It would get us apps. Third parties can develop CarPlay-enabled apps for iOS.

4. 7racer

7racer Member

Maybe not for you S owners but it added a ton of functionality to my stock Alpine unit that I swapped out. Going cordless and adding apps would be awesome!

5. majorlance

majorlance Member

Is there any way to swap out the S audio system completely?

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks. Apps would be great but isn't the case that Tesla itself is planning to make possible app development for our touchscreen? If that happens, given the talent in our own TMC community we're likely to see some amazing apps developed that are customized for Teslas not just generic apps.

7. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

I believe that is one of those infamous early promises from Elon himself that has not been discussed much for years;)

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7900-SW-Firmware-Model-S-Apps

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22972-Elon-Apps-and-Google-Chrome-in-the-Model-S-by-late-2014

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Smart smartphone, dumb in-car system. Reduces/simplifies the hardware requirements in the car, and gives you the rapid development of the smartphone platforms.

9. wayner

wayner Active Member

I believe with CarPlay you would immediately get access to other music services like Spotify. Hopefully you would also get access to other Nav apps like Waze.

10. miked112

miked112 Member

The problem I think is that the in-car side of Carplay is based on QNX, the most common in-car computing platform (ironically owned by BlackBerry). Tesla's in-car OS is Linux-based, and so Carplay would need to be ported to that platform and separately supported by both Apple and Tesla. Don't know if that is either Apple or Tesla's highest priority.

11. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

You would think that Carplay would be pretty simple since it wouldn't be interfacing to much. All you really need is a video interface (which would, of course require some modifications to hardware), and a connection to feedback touch information (through wireless in the current version). The audio and handsfree stuff essentially exists. Everything else would exist on the phone.

Of course, that would limit what you could do that was Tesla specific, but Tesla could possibly extend their app.

I know a lot of folks want to see Tesla offer native apps, but do you really think they are going to give access to any third party for anything other than infotainment and navigation which you have on the phone today?

12. jdbob

jdbob Member

Carplay is a communications protocol between computers. It should be (providing Apple publishes the protocol) possible to implement the car end on any system provided it has a touchscreen.

13. tliving

tliving Member

Given recent news about Apple hiring Tesla employees and potentially competing in some way I'm not sure i'd hold my breath expecting a tighter integration between Apple and Tesla products.

14. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

It works without a touch screen also -- see this demo of CarPlay in a Mercedes with a knob controller: 2014 Mercedes C-Class - Apple CarPlay demo - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla will need to offer CarPlay and Android Auto in the near future. More and more automakers are adding one (or both) to their cars -- so it will be an obvious missing feature against the competition soon...