Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Charging: Plugless Power Demonstration Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like it and frankly while plugging in doesn't take that long, it is still an extra step I have to do every time. Often I forget to close the charge port so I have to get out of the car again. It is nice to just park and walk away. The price is actually reasonable. I'm considering it

Last edited:
I'll wait to see some real world tests of the efficiency of the system.

You should absolutely. We think all inductive chargers should be judged by the following three criteria - 1. What is the TOTAL wireless system efficiency as compared to the corded equivalent (not the efficiency just across the gap, as an example) 2. As provided by 3rd-party testing and 3. on a production system. To that end our Gen1 Plugless system (the 3.3kW charger available for Volt, LEAF and ELR) is 7% efficient compared to level 1 charger and roughly ~12 less efficient than level 2 corded charging. 2. per the testing of Idaho Nat'l Labs (USDOE) who requires publishing - https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/evse/PLUGLESSEvatranStandaloneTestResultsFactSheet.pdf and 3. we've been selling that system for two years (with installations across North America)

Our Gen2 System (which the Tesla S system is) will have data from INL and we expect the numbers to be the same. (it takes some time for results, as INL does thousands of test cycles - more than 8700 for our Gen1 system, for example).

Your math looks sound. So, for example, if you are the typical male driver 35-54 years old and crank about 18,900 miles per year - that 100K will take you 5.3 years to complete, so a premium of about $189 per year.

That's about $15.75 monthly. If you have a solar/wind power system, it may even be $0 extra per month. For all the convenience and safety (no cords to accidentally trip over) that Plugless Power offers, I think it's worth it.

You should absolutely. We think all inductive chargers should be judged by the following three criteria - 1. What is the TOTAL wireless system efficiency as compared to the corded equivalent (not the efficiency just across the gap, as an example) 2. As provided by 3rd-party testing and 3. on a production system. To that end our Gen1 Plugless system (the 3.3kW charger available for Volt, LEAF and ELR) is 7% efficient compared to level 1 charger and roughly ~12 less efficient than level 2 corded charging. 2. per the testing of Idaho Nat'l Labs (USDOE) who requires publishing - https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/evse/PLUGLESSEvatranStandaloneTestResultsFactSheet.pdf and 3. we've been selling that system for two years (with installations across North America)

Our Gen2 System (which the Tesla S system is) will have data from INL and we expect the numbers to be the same. (it takes some time for results, as INL does thousands of test cycles - more than 8700 for our Gen1 system, for example).

How much weight does this system add to the car?