Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless front parking camera with monitor for front bumper protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about approaching this from a different angle? If you are on v5.0 this may work...

Get a automobile wifi router. I saw a couple cheap ones on ebay, one even looks like a 12v lighter plug. Then get a cheap IP camera that is waterproof. Connect the tesla to your new router, map the web browser to the IP camera, and there you go...

I don't have v5.0 to test though....

How about approaching this from a different angle? If you are on v5.0 this may work...

Get a automobile wifi router. I saw a couple cheap ones on ebay, one even looks like a 12v lighter plug. Then get a cheap IP camera that is waterproof. Connect the tesla to your new router, map the web browser to the IP camera, and there you go...

I don't have v5.0 to test though....

Tesla doesn't allow any video streaming format. So it will have to be bitmap updates, which is 1 or 2 per second at most. It's not practical to try and park at that update rate.

Tesla doesn't allow any video streaming format. So it will have to be bitmap updates, which is 1 or 2 per second at most. It's not practical to try and park at that update rate.

I don't know about Tesla's crappy browser, but a desktop browser can stream images faster than that. But another problem would be that you wouldn't be able to use the car's built in 3G connection while it's connected to the router.

The issue is more with breaking the coupling of the differential pairs when wiring into the mechanical switch.

I said the same thing 30 posts back, which is why he is not cutting into his cable but using connectors. However depending on the frequency and the noise immunity of the buffer and receiver, he may get lucky and have enough signal-to-noise to pull it off. artsci's doing the right thing first, and if it works all the other details can be worked out easily. Otherwise next steps are clear.

I said the same thing 30 posts back, which is why he is not cutting into his cable but using connectors. However depending on the frequency and the noise immunity of the buffer and receiver, he may get lucky and have enough signal-to-noise to pull it off. artsci's doing the right thing first, and if it works all the other details can be worked out easily. Otherwise next steps are clear.

Precisely.

He is still breaking the coupling whether cutting the cable or using connectors, but I agree his is doing the right thing in the first test. Personally my experience with these types of systems at these speeds the noise immunity stinks. So one thing to be aware of is that even if this works on his setup that doesn't mean that it will work in all of them. But again I agree that trying the easy thing first is the best thing to do, people just shouldn't expect that if it works for artsci it will work for them.

His not cutting into the cable is not to make a better rf connection -- it is so he can keep a working car while the rest of us benefit from his experiments!

I know that is why he is doing it, the way you wrote your response seemed to suggest that the signal integrity was the reason for the connectors. Guess I just interpenetrated it incorrectly.

I know that is why he is doing it, the way you wrote your response seemed to suggest that the signal integrity was the reason for the connectors. Guess I just interpenetrated it incorrectly.

Actually, and this is one of the glories of this web site, my thinking about how to do this has evolved based on all of the comments and suggestions made here. At first I wasn't even thinking about the signal integrity until it was pointed out here that it might be a serious problem. So using the Amphenol cable and connectors served two purposes -- preserving the functionality of the system as I attempted to modify it and preserving signal integrity as much as possible, recognizing that the switch might compromise it.

I'm an electrical/mechanical engineer working in robotics and I just found this thread. Very excited to see the progress so far. I came to offer a suggestion for integrating switching into the touchscreen. We can control a lot of other in-car devices this way too. With firmware 5.0, we finally have wifi access, so we can connect to a wireless network mounted inside the car. The network can then host web pages that essentially give us (almost) complete freedom to write web apps for the in-screen browser. If we're creating a PCB to switch the LVDS signals, it can simply receive signals from the wifi network to activate the switch. You'll have to pull up a web page with the controls, but you won't have to mount any external switches in the car. In the future I imagine a custom "controls" web page that has buttons and configurations for all the custom devices you've installed in the car.

@cybrown,
Could such a web interface be configured to show input from external devices as well? Say, from an aftemarket proximity sensor for instance?

Great idea. I think it will work, but it depends on what the browser supports. Anyone know if it will display any kind of dynamic data? And will TeslaOS (is that what we're calling it?) 5.0 display local web pages?

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea. I think it will work, but it depends on what the browser supports. Anyone know if it will display any kind of dynamic data? And will TeslaOS (is that what we're calling it?) 5.0 display local web pages?

I moved this discussion to a separate thread, so please reply there: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/20771-Product-Idea-Control-external-hardware-through-the-touchscreen

I talked to the Amphenol supplier that makes the cables and connectors for Tesla. I've placed an order for a set necessary to take this to the next level using a toggle switch. If that works we won't need more sophisticated circuitry. Don't know yet when I'll have the cables but should soon.

Obtaining the Amphenol cables and connectors has proven to be more complicated than I thought. They don't sell to retail to consumers so I'll have to issue a PO through my web business. I'm still waiting for pricing from Amphenol, so this is likely to take more time than I first anticipated.

Obtaining the Amphenol cables and connectors has proven to be more complicated than I thought. They don't sell to retail to consumers so I'll have to issue a PO through my web business. I'm still waiting for pricing from Amphenol, so this is likely to take more time than I first anticipated.

If you want me to try and order them thru my company let me know...PM me...