Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless QI Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I wait for the Tesla Wireless charger to go into production..I came up with this install for my Mophie Charge Force charger..

I removed the rubber mat and cut a piece of felt to fit and used double sided tape to hold it...the center of the counsel has a perfect slit for the vent mount charger..

Attachments

• 5578A911-7D32-4971-AC18-C6F28F264CBD.jpeg
    5578A911-7D32-4971-AC18-C6F28F264CBD.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 367
  • 281B2A61-DD00-443A-B42C-5A250CE34C9D.jpeg
    281B2A61-DD00-443A-B42C-5A250CE34C9D.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 279
Looked into a DIY solution from Ebay

This was shipped(slow boat) from China but it was only $8 total (I already had the micro USB cable)

IMG_0898.JPG

LED on circuit board behind shows it's charging. This is about 1/3 slower than direct wired, but that's what you expect from wireless charging. The case makes no difference in charge speed.

IMG_0900.JPG

Just used some 3M grey tape to stick the coil to the OEM back cover. Easily removed w/o residue, yet holds perfectly.

Same grey tape to hold the circuit board behind the cover.

IMG_0901.JPG

Other side still has the original plug, it's a little faster to charge, or to let the wife charge her phone.

-Randy

Looked into a DIY solution from Ebay

This was shipped(slow boat) from China but it was only $8 total (I already had the micro USB cable)

View attachment 295468

LED on circuit board behind shows it's charging. This is about 1/3 slower than direct wired, but that's what you expect from wireless charging. The case makes no difference in charge speed.

View attachment 295470

Just used some 3M grey tape to stick the coil to the OEM back cover. Easily removed w/o residue, yet holds perfectly.

Same grey tape to hold the circuit board behind the cover.

View attachment 295471

Other side still has the original plug, it's a little faster to charge, or to let the wife charge her phone.

-Randy
I bought some similar ones from AliExpress. Just waiting to get my Model 3 back to install them. Are you concerned at all by the heat these generate?

Interesting that they state you need to plug into the back ports to get 2 amps. I read somewhere that after recent OS updates the front and back were now equal, but derned if I can remember where I saw/heard that.

Their install is fine, it's kind of DIY itself, but I like keeping the original look, and saving beaucoup bucks.

-Randy

20180428_110130.jpg
20180428_110140.jpg
I had a couple of extra wireless charging pads lying around, that were strong enough to charge, with my phone in a case.
I removed the coils, and used double sided tape to affix it under the rubber mat.

I need a piece if rubber to replace the Tesla one, as the ridge on the Tesla mat raises the look hones too much.
Right now I have a piece of black kydex cut to size, but it's sloppy.

Last edited: