Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin Supercharger Discussion & Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way up I am thinking I might be able to use the 14-50 you mentioned at the Dells as an emergency backup. Where is that BTW? Yes cold is the biggest challenge for my Model S. I have been getting pretty good mileage this fall. But today for instance on my way to work (about 32 miles) I got around 450wh/mi which is a lot worse than the 350 wh/mi is getting not too long ago. I was blasting the heat and didn't pre-warm the car much before I left. I am still running FW4.5 so it will be interesting to see if I can yield any more range out of it vs. FW5.8. Also, I generally run in range mode all the time. I am not sure but that might do less pack heating then running in normal mode. Do you run in range mode all the time?

It would nice if they had a "cold pack" mode for such situations when you are running at less than 50 miles. It seems it can take 5 to 10 rated miles out of the pack just to heat it up. When you are operating at less than 50 miles, every mile counts. Having regen disabled and maybe limited top end power would be OK in that situation I think. Not sure what the other implications would be.

Speculation: It may be that a cold pack is going to give you less miles than a warm pack. A cold pack that gets "warmed" may give you more miles when the pack is closer to full. At some point it will be that you will get less miles trying to heat a low pack then if you were just to run the pack cold. So the software may already be making that calculation. I have seen a message when the pack is low that "pack heating is reduced" or something like that. It maybe making that calculation that there is no point to heating the pack to get more range because heating the pack would consume too much range :/

So, hoping you made it to Mauston. What was the highest kW you charged at? I didn't get over like, 63kW charging speed, even with a hot pack.

So, hoping you made it to Mauston. What was the highest kW you charged at? I didn't get over like, 63kW charging speed, even with a hot pack.
Haven't done it yet, sorry for being confusing. I need to take a day off of work to do this, so I am planning on Friday. But I will keep track of the stats. I am thinking wh/mi, miles to get there vs. rated miles used, and I will see what the peak charge rate at the supercharger, as well as the time it takes for a full charge as I will need that to get home. Are there other metrics I should keep track of? I was trying to do a little bit of a worst case scenario for winter driving. It looks like it is going to warm up a little on Friday (25F for a high). But snow possible. I would like to line up some emergency charging points. You mentioned the Dells, PlugShare has a Sandrift Resort, is this where you plug in?

Last edited:
Haven't done it yet, sorry for being confusing. I need to take a day off of work to do this, so I am planning on Friday. But I will keep track of the stats. I am thinking wh/mi, miles to get there vs. rated miles used, and I will see what the peak charge rate at the supercharger, as well as the time it takes for a full charge as I will need that to get home. Are there other metrics I should keep track of? I was trying to do a little bit of a worst case scenario for winter driving. It looks like it is going to warm up a little on Friday (25F for a high). But snow possible. I would like to line up some emergency charging points. You mentioned the Dells, PlugShare has a Sandrift Resort, is this where you plug in?

Correct, the plug share at the sandrift.

- - - Updated - - -

How does this compare to Rockford, Illinois SC rate? Isn't Mauston supposed to be a 120KW SC?

I got 92kW

Would it be a good idea to call TM via the 800# on the Mauston SC and let them know it is not working at 100%?

I want to see what someone else is getting first. He will have just gotten off a 130ish mile drive, so pack SHOULD be nice and happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and have been emailing back and forth with a Tesla Rep, May be getting 1 or hopefully 2 HPWC's to install at the Sandrift! TOTALLY AWESOME! BEST CAR COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!!

On my Friday trip, it will be 143 miles to Mauston. Crude calculation: if 290 wh/mi gets me 208 miles then to get 143 miles I need to keep my wh/mi to below 420. I have been doing some testing these last two nights and last night I was able to preheat my car at work (I can charge there) and drive the 32 miles home WITHOUT the HVAC on at all. Usually I can't do this because the windows fog up, but for some reason they didn't (drivers side window did a little). On that drive I got 330 wh/mi. I would say that is about as good as possible considering there must be pack heating going on (during the summer I can get as low as 260 wh/mi on the same drive). Today it was even a little cooler, and I was unable run with HVAC off very long and tried to be conservative with it. I got 383 wh/mi on same drive. A few days ago I ran HVAC somewhat aggressively and got 450+ wh/mi. So, I guess my point is that I should be able to make Mauston if I don't drive too fast (I generally go speed limit anyway, kinda pokie I guess) and don't get too aggressive with the heater.

This is sort of the flip side of such an efficient car. What I mean is one of the ways the MS gets such a long range on it's battery is because it is so efficient. But because electric heating is so non-efficient range can really get sucked out of that battery if you're not careful.

This also gives me more crazy ideas on ways to extend range.... although the thought of having to burn something makes me shutter. Problem is the MS has probably one of the most efficient electric heating system possible already, so how can you improve?

- - - Updated - - -

-Oh, and have been emailing back and forth with a Tesla Rep, May be getting 1 or hopefully 2 HPWC's to install at the Sandrift! TOTALLY AWESOME! BEST CAR COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!!

I hope that Tesla continues to do a lot of this and continue to expand or have an outreach program on L2 chargers. Or at least they may be responding to places that are asking for them. Maybe one for Road America too.

Last edited:
Oh, and have been emailing back and forth with a Tesla Rep, May be getting 1 or hopefully 2 HPWC's to install at the Sandrift! TOTALLY AWESOME! BEST CAR COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!![/QUOTE]

Can you give any details on how the L2 partner program is setup, with you or overall. Don't want to get you in trouble but I have a few business in mind.

That might explain something I experienced on my trip to Chicago.

Same thing here.. I've only once run mine to charge now, but with 6 miles left on a bitter cold day the pack heater kicked on. I only had 4 miles to go at that point but then ended up at home at 0. Why not just really really limit the power output at that point? Doesn't make sense to me but I suppose the tesla engineers are smarter than I am so I'll trust their programming.

Same thing here.. I've only once run mine to charge now, but with 6 miles left on a bitter cold day the pack heater kicked on. I only had 4 miles to go at that point but then ended up at home at 0. Why not just really really limit the power output at that point? Doesn't make sense to me but I suppose the tesla engineers are smarter than I am so I'll trust their programming.

For those having problems with WHEN the pack heater decides to kick in and IF range is paramount make sure you turn "range mode" on. In my experience and based on the conversation in this thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...e-as-you-drive?p=522024&viewfull=1#post522024, when your in range mode, the pack heater is essentially disabled and the pack will only heat, albeit much more slowly, based on the normal discharge heating from driving the car.

How do I turn on range mode?
It is a driving setting button on the touch screen. My understanding is it limits the HVAC system power draw.

Stopped at Madison construction site tonight. Here is a photo of the "ditch". Looks like all of the "stuff" is there. Hopefully soon!
image.jpg

If you are going through Waukesha there is an outdoor HPWC and a 75A Clipper Creek J1772 at Marshall Auto Body N4 W22300 Bluemound Rd. Waukesha (also on plugshare). they are both free. A friend, Liz on this forum is here from St. Louis. She got the 200 miles from STL to Normal Ill supercharger at 32 OAT with 4 miles remaining starting with a full charge and heated pack. She has the 85kW battery.

I am at the Mauston charger now with my 60. Peak charging for me is 68kw. Started trip with 202 miles rated range, preheated car to 114F. Ran to distance to Mauston 144.8 miles using 291Wh/mi. Had 55 rated miles left when pulling into the SC. I had the HVAC turned off completely the whole trip, no fogging windows for some reason. Weather is mostly sunny and about 22 to 25F. I drive mostly at speed limit or 5 mph above. Will preheat car again on return trip and see how long I can run with heat off.

Having trouble uploading files from public wifi, will post more later.

Ok made it back on same route. 305Wh/mi this time. Also no heat turned on, and very little window fogging. It briefly started fogging about 10 mins after leaving the supercharger. I turned on the HVAC for about 10 seconds and the windows cleared. They stayed clear the rest of the trip. It seems that when the interior cools off and windows aren't so cold relative to the interior air temp, the windows won't fog. This is all at about 25F. Remains to be seen if this works around 0F.
It ran at 68Kw for a while then started tapering down from there. I am not sure if this is a temperature related thing or not. I have only supercharged one other time and that was at Rockford. I don't recall what I charged at then. Frankly this is fast enough for my purposes of how often I do these long drives. Oh, and I am running FW4.5 still if that matters. I will be passing through Mauston again sometime later this month, so the testing will continue.

When I left this morning I started preheating the car as soon as I switch it charging. It was sitting at about 180miles from last nights charge, then I switched to Range charge around 9:00am and started charging @40amps. I then set the HVAC to about 72. I kept turning the HVAC back on every half hour as the range charge progressed. When the charge started to taper off, I turned the HVAC up to about 89, then the interior really started to get warm. This is with Range mode off BTW. When I got in the car to go at around noon, it was at 114F. And it was very hot in the interior. I had immediately turned the heat off when I left and I got about 45+ miles before the interior was at the point where I would have turned the heat back on if I wasn't trying to maximize range. The interior definitely has a lot of heat capacity and is a good way to store extra energy if you are trying to get every last mile out of the battery on trips.

Edit: I am basing my interior temps off of the iPhone app BTW.
Interior Temp 9am 12-13-13.PNG

Superchargeing 12-13-13.JPG

Mauston_Superchargeing 12-13-13.JPG

Last edited: