Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin Supercharger Discussion & Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And on another good note, Tesla has delivered 2!!!! HPWC's to us at the Sandrift! Now, for some snow to melt and start getting them installed!!! Ones hopefully going in by the office, that one will still be on a 50 amp circuit. The one on the Garage where the 14-50 is currently, will be on a 80 amp circuit.

Sweet! How do you do this??? You are amazing. Hope to see it on Youtube!

Sandrift Resort - The Peach on the Beach in Wisconsin Dells, WI

Up until the Mauston Supercharger, it was the only Level 2 Charging location within a 60 mile radius (Still is). The Wisconsin Dells, is the Midwest's Biggest Tourist location, which is why it was so suprising when Tesla put the Supercharger in 20 miles North, in a tiny town with nothing to do.

I could not have made it so enjoyably without the Sandrift Resort. Coincidentally, my wife was looking at the Sandrift Resort for our summer vacation. We opted for Wildcat Mountain State Park instead, but perhaps next summer? Kids love water parks!

I might have to take a extra drive this weekend ;)

And on another good note, Tesla has delivered 2!!!! HPWC's to us at the Sandrift! Now, for some snow to melt and start getting them installed!!! Ones hopefully going in by the office, that one will still be on a 50 amp circuit. The one on the Garage where the 14-50 is currently, will be on a 80 amp circuit.

I have heard that Tesla is now offering HPWC's to hotels, resorts, etc, that pay for the install. Is that how you got yours for the Sandrift? If so, what is the application process? I would like to start talking this up at some places...

I have heard that Tesla is now offering HPWC's to hotels, resorts, etc, that pay for the install. Is that how you got yours for the Sandrift? If so, what is the application process? I would like to start talking this up at some places...

"

How can I charge at my destination?

Tesla is working with hotels, resorts, and other destinations to encourage the installation of High Power Wall Connectors where our customers spend time away from home. If your organization is interested in offering charging to Tesla owners, send us a notehere, or email [email protected]"

Tesla did provide me with the HPWC's, it is up to me to deal with Installation. I will be installing them myself however.

I might have to take a extra drive this weekend ;)

When sizing circuits you're not supposed to go plan to load them over 80% of what they're rated for. So, 80% of 50a = 40a draw = UMC / 14-50 outlet. 80% of 100a circuit = HPWC @ 80a. It specifically has a switches in it for 80a vs 100a circuits.

I only mention this so you size your wire and breakers appropriately. My electrician had to re-buy some wire for my project after a odd city code regarding the garage not being a residential dwelling so it required the next size up cabling.

There is a supercharger at the Highland Park Sales and Service Center as well, I'm not sure if it is open yet but from pictures I have seen it looks close.

Yep it's on. islandbayy and I were at the grand opening and charging at the superchargers there. Nice place. 4 stalls. 1 of the 4 was having it's firmware updated and was off-line, but it's probably online now by the time I am typing this. Either way, 3 out of 4 stalls were open.

When sizing circuits you're not supposed to go plan to load them over 80% of what they're rated for. So, 80% of 50a = 40a draw = UMC / 14-50 outlet. 80% of 100a circuit = HPWC @ 80a. It specifically has a switches in it for 80a vs 100a circuits.

I only mention this so you size your wire and breakers appropriately. My electrician had to re-buy some wire for my project after a odd city code regarding the garage not being a residential dwelling so it required the next size up cabling.

I should rephrase that, 100 amp breaker, for 80 amp charging.

I should rephrase that, 100 amp breaker, for 80 amp charging.

COOL! Just wanted to make sure. Thank you for volunteering to do that.

I have my HPWC on plugshare, only one person has asked and nobody has come to use it yet :(

I broke my supercharger virginity this morning by stopping at the Highland Park service center. I stayed at the GF's last night and I have no way to charge by her place and left for my 200 mile round trip commute with 100 miles of range. I could have made it to work but then not anywhere else so I went a little out of my way and checked it out. Only snapped two pics.

I sat there for maybe 25 minutes, got about 100 miles of range and put the hammer down on the way to the office. Since I was running late to work I'm going to stop back again on my way home to top up a bit extra. I spoke with Tesla yesterday about the speed of the charger and they said on Thursday someone was charging at 81KW. This morning I was seeing 101KW.

Also, I tried charging in spot 1A but the car said the cable wasn't connected so I moved to 2A. If it happens again tonight I'll call Tesla.

1k-photo_1.JPG

1k-photo_2.JPG

Stopped at East Towne in Madison just now and it looks like Tesla is getting ready for a party out there!! The stalls they were installing the superchargers at are all covered with a big white tent, and adjacent is an even bigger fancy green striped big-top style tent! I didn't peak under the flaps but it seems like more real estate is under the tents than just the construction zone. Exciting! All of the crates that formerly contained the above-ground equipment are gone (presumably emptied). It was late Saturday afternoon when I got there so no human beings around to ask what is going on....
1221.jpg

Stopped at East Towne in Madison just now and it looks like Tesla is getting ready for a party out there!! The stalls they were installing the superchargers at are all covered with a big white tent, and adjacent is an even bigger fancy green striped big-top style tent! I didn't peak under the flaps but it seems like more real estate is under the tents than just the construction zone. Exciting! All of the crates that formerly contained the above-ground equipment are gone (presumably emptied). It was late Saturday afternoon when I got there so no human beings around to ask what is going on....
Can't wait! looks like it will be quite a party if this is for a grand opening event

Looking like Onalaska is getting close also. Stalls are up now and concrete at the base poured. No visible charging cords from the stalls yet though. (And no fancy tents)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
I have updates coming on Madison, and a Update on Mauston's Charging speed issue coming this evening. As well as a full video from 0 miles all the way to a 90% charge on a 60kW pack. It took just a hair under 60 minutes for a 90% charge. And Tesla was just a wee bit off on their claims. a 60kW pack takes 45 minutes from 0 to 80% ;) They were 5 minutes slow hehe. MORE TO COME!

First, Here is Pleasant Prairie and the little fun we had. Got some odd looks from the concrete guys :)

And the Madison Update; Take note of the Crunching as I walk. EVERYTHING has a sheet of ice on it. When I got to Mauston, I couldn't even scratch the ice off the SC Kiosk!!

Last edited by a moderator: