Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wishful thinking from a Model X owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a prediction... He gives 400 kWh free every single year with the S and the X. He'll probably do the same with the 3. But he wants to keep the SuperChargers open for folks who need them to travel, and not filling up by locals who just don't want to pay the cost of charging their car. I feel similarly. I want them to be available when I'm traveling. So, I hope that he does NOT give completely free supercharging to all the Model 3 owners.

Sorry.

I feel I should clarify.

I am wishfully thinking it would be great to reward people who believed in, and purchased a Tesla before the Model 3 came along. People who purchased a Model S or X were an important reason for the Model 3 became a reality.

By allowing free supercharging on a second Tesla car, after having discontinued free supercharging with new purchases, Tesla can reward original owners with very little overall impact because a second car hardly ever gets any significant mileage on it but it could benefit greatly from more than the 400 kWh currently available. Especially considering people might want to road trip an autopilot 2.0 Tesla across the country.

Just my two cents.

Like I said wishful thinking.

Last edited:
I thought the gift to current owners was that we get to buy them ahead of all the reservation owners...

This also means current owners are highly likely to get the $7,500 tax credit.

The issue with free supercharging is that the people it's valuable to are the ones you don't want to have it. I hardly ever supercharge, so it's worth maybe $100 a year to me. In which case I don't care and neither does Tesla. It's the people that charge all the time and cost Tesla $500-$1,000 a year that really want it, and that Tesla can't afford to give it to.

Just give everyone $1,000 off the car if you want to "reward" current owners.

@elonmusk would Tesla consider giving original Tesla X and S owners free supercharging on their Model 3 or free charging on 2nd Tesla?

Tesloop qualifies as an original Model S owner. :)

I don't think there's any way that unlimited Supercharging will be available in the future for any group or circumstance (beyond honoring the cars it was delivered with in the past) - Tesla learned that folks will exploit them, and that's not what they wanted.

You might see bigger annual allowances offered, either on their own or as part of packages - but with examples like Tesloop in front of them, they'd have to charge enough on an unlimited option that no one would buy it or else lose money on the option.

I don't expect Tesla to give away free Supercharging ever again, as that would cause lots of problem.

However, I was surprised that they went with only 400kw/year. Can't really do much of a road trip with that amount, so I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla increases that to 800kw-1000kw/year (for Model-X & Model-S). Maybe slightly less for Model-3 as they should have better efficiency.

Reactions: Cowby
I feel I should clarify.

I am wishfully thinking it would be great to reward people who believed in, and purchased a Tesla before the Model 3 came along. People who purchased a Model S or X were an important reason for the Model 3 became a reality.

By allowing free supercharging on a second Tesla car, after having discontinued free supercharging with new purchases, Tesla can reward original owners with very little overall impact because a second car hardly ever gets any significant mileage on it but it could benefit greatly from more than the 400 kWh currently available. Especially considering people might want to road trip an autopilot 2.0 Tesla across the country.

Just my two cents.

Like I said wishful thinking.
You (like many others here) are forgetting the ORIGINAL owners who allowed the S and X to become a reality before the 3.

as long as we're wishful thinking .... my wishfull thinking is that early adapters (like us) that already have unlimited free supercharging would quit driving blocks or even miles out of their way - just to pick up a few $$ of juice .... rather then just drive home and leave the spot open that otherwise causes long distance driving people to have to wait as long as a ½hr or more just to start charging - at some of the busiest locations & at the busiest times of the day or evening.
You Know Who You Are.
:mad:

@elonmusk would Tesla consider giving original Tesla X and S owners free supercharging on their Model 3 or free charging on 2nd Tesla?
That is a bad idea. I rarely Supercharge, but when I do, I don't want it to be full, regardless of who is there or if they were an owner in 2011 or yesterday. If they are just charging there because it's free, rather than at home, that does not help all the other people that would want to plug in. People are irrational when things are free.

I don't expect Tesla to give away free Supercharging ever again, as that would cause lots of problem.

However, I was surprised that they went with only 400kw/year. Can't really do much of a road trip with that amount, so I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla increases that to 800kw-1000kw/year (for Model-X & Model-S). Maybe slightly less for Model-3 as they should have better efficiency.

400kW is about 1,100 miles on the worst car (Model X). That's a good road trip.

400kW is about $60 at average supercharger prices. (15 cents per KWh)

So 800kW is worth $60 more. Does anyone not buy a Tesla because it might cost them $60 more a year?

Unlimited supercharging is only a financially interesting idea to those people that would abuse it and make the whole system annoying to normal owners. For everyone else that uses their cars for normal road trips, it's a totally insignificant expense in the scope of owning a Tesla.

Reactions: ohmman and JHWJR
Unlimited supercharging is only a financially interesting idea to those people that would abuse it and make the whole system annoying to normal owners. For everyone else that uses their cars for normal road trips, it's a totally insignificant expense in the scope of owning a Tesla.
I totally agree. There is, however, a certain psychology to the free road trip that is lost with this model. I think that emotion dissipates over time, but it was certainly one of the defining differences between an ICE and my first Tesla. It assuaged the pain of charging times that exceeded gas fuel ups.

I completely support Tesla's change - it is necessary and well implemented - but I just wanted to point out that there's something more to the idea of "free" Supercharging other than the actual financial benefit.

I totally agree. There is, however, a certain psychology to the free road trip that is lost with this model. I think that emotion dissipates over time, but it was certainly one of the defining differences between an ICE and my first Tesla. It assuaged the pain of charging times that exceeded gas fuel ups.

I completely support Tesla's change - it is necessary and well implemented - but I just wanted to point out that there's something more to the idea of "free" Supercharging other than the actual financial benefit.

This. It's not about the $60. It's about "this particular trip is free/prepaid, so I might as well take it." Intellectually, I know better - cost of depreciation, replacement tires, food and maybe hotels.

But not having to pay for the electricity at that time makes the trip more appealing, even though it's a minor expense in the grand scheme of things.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out any way to solve this perception issue. Maybe a larger annual plan that I would never end up maxing out, bought at time of sale?

Or maybe there isn't an answer. It's not like I never took road trips before getting the Tesla, and in the grand scheme it's really not that much money, and it's still "invisible" money (credit card on file, charged directly by Tesla, not a transaction that you're doing directly in person.)

Reactions: Cowby
400kW is about 1,100 miles on the worst car (Model X). That's a good road trip.

400kW is about $60 at average supercharger prices. (15 cents per KWh)

So 800kW is worth $60 more. Does anyone not buy a Tesla because it might cost them $60 more a year?

I guess it depends on the type of road trips one takes. It doesn't matter to me as I have life-time free supercharging, but with the type of road trips I take, 800kw-1000kw/year is approximately my requirement for my one yearly road trip. Seemed like a reasonable average.

I just assumed that they put a limit on the free supercharging to dissuade those that were abusing it. I would have thought Tesla would have liked to keep the free super-charging for the average person, so if they set the limit high enough, most people would still effectively have free super-charging.

It would also help with the transition from completely free supercharging to limited super-charging. In the big picture, these costs are trivial, so I agree that it's not a big deal. It's just nice not to have to keep tabs on all the incremental charges.

Just like cell phones, you can't call it "unlimited" unless it is. So you have a marketing issue if you try and convince people that it's unlimited while also making sure you tell them it isn't.

I understand the psychology issue, but it's either unlimited or it isn't, and if it isn't, why give away too much?